• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 17 December 2022 - 02:42 AM

It sounds to me like a shock issue. Over anything but a really nasty bump or hole, your shocks should prevent the suspension from contacting the bump stops. Adding Sumo Springs will just mask the problem.

#12 Tom n N

Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 21 December 2022 - 04:11 AM

More I think about it I think you all are right that I have new shocks in my future. I’ve always heard good things about Bilsteins so nice to know that’s the consensus here as well.

I appreciate all of you sharing your experience.

Thanks,

Tom 

93 Toyota 4x4 with FWC Eagle shell

65 Chevy 4x4

#13 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 30 December 2022 - 05:08 AM

The Sumo Springs do just as you described but you still need the shock to control the added weight. The description of hitting the bump stop indicates the added weight is blowing through the shock and slamming the factory bump stop. The Bilsteins work very good for an off the shelf production 2" dia shock and be an improvement but may still not be enough and you might still want to add the sumo springs.

#14 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:01 PM

Have a 2019 Ram Rebel quad cab, with a 2010 Hawk.  First installed  Sumo Springs to raise the rear end.  Truck was riding on the Sumo Springs all the time.  Installed some heavy duty springs and 2 inch spacers in rear and 2 inch new strut lift in front.  Truck now road good and rear end was about 1 inch higher then the front, Sumo Springs have 2 inch's clearance before acting as bump stops.

I found some IronMan 4x4 coil springs, 2 1/2 lift compared to stock, and made for constant additional weight of 440 to 1,100 lbs.  Installed them and removed the 2 inch spacers, truck now rides great.  IronMan 4x4 also make coil springs for the Ram DT, rated for constant additional weight of, 0-130", 0-440", and 440-1100 in various lengths.

#15 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 13 January 2023 - 05:40 AM

Have a 2019 Ram Rebel quad cab, with a 2010 Hawk.  First installed  Sumo Springs to raise the rear end.  Truck was riding on the Sumo Springs all the time.  Installed some heavy duty springs and 2 inch spacers in rear and 2 inch new strut lift in front.  Truck now road good and rear end was about 1 inch higher then the front, Sumo Springs have 2 inch's clearance before acting as bump stops.

I found some IronMan 4x4 coil springs, 2 1/2 lift compared to stock, and made for constant additional weight of 440 to 1,100 lbs.  Installed them and removed the 2 inch spacers, truck now rides great.  IronMan 4x4 also make coil springs for the Ram DT, rated for constant additional weight of, 0-130", 0-440", and 440-1100 in various lengths.

HiCap, that was a great learning experience. You wound up right where you should be, with properly rated springs taking the load and the Sumo "Springs" acting as they should—as no more than heavy duty bump stops. Good idea to get rid of the spacers as well.

#16 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 15 January 2023 - 11:02 PM

My recommendation is to purchase a truck that has approximately twice the payload that you intend to carry. That way not only will your suspension be capable of safely handing that load but your braking and cooling systems will also.

Suspension engineering and associated handling is a task that should be left to automotive engineers.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users