Photo

Time For Another Truck Camper (8' with tailgate installed...Options?)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 deminimis

deminimis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOrygun

Posted 27 December 2022 - 08:44 PM

Hey all,

We've had a BF 10.6 (Chev 3500 dually), Okanagan dual slide (Ram 5500 flatbed) and BF 10.5 ('19 3500 Silverado SRW).  Currently we have a Avion 34x Amtrak sleeper car of a trailer (more for parking than for camping).  Getting the itch for another truck camper.  We have a 2019 SRW 3500HD Chev (8.2' foot bed).  Always wanted a pop up and always succumbed to buying big.  This time, when it's time, it will be a pop up or my name ain't "deminimis"..  This time I want to leave the tailgate on and be able to close it.  Buying used, so I gets what I gets, but...   Anyway, it appears the Guenella might work?  Perhaps the Grandby?  Alaskan, perhaps, but not looking for one of those.  Any others that have been around long enough to support a used market that might work in a slightly longer long bed?  No rush as I want to pay off the Avion first, and I'm doing a sailboat refit, but I want to pull the trigger in the not too far distant future.  Not wishing to offend, but no Palominos or similar.  We sometimes go places where we shouldn't, so beefier is always better.  Guessing I'm missing a few, so I welcome your thoughts.  Thanks!!

Edited by deminimis, 27 December 2022 - 08:54 PM.

#2 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 27 December 2022 - 09:12 PM

Grandby is the way to go in my opinion, especially if keeping it light is important to you.. Mine is exactly 8 foot so tailgate should close, my bed it exactly 8 feet and I cannot close it with the camper on (bumpers on the camper might have to be trimmed?)

The Guenella is nice, going to be on the heavier side.. but they make great campers also.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#3 deminimis

deminimis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOrygun

Posted 27 December 2022 - 09:35 PM

Thank you X2!

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 December 2022 - 10:15 PM

Also check out ATC they make a 8'  Puma/Cougar camper or shell.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 deminimis

deminimis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOrygun

Posted 27 December 2022 - 11:29 PM

I forgot about ATC.  Thanks!

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 December 2022 - 11:45 PM

I forgot about ATC.  Thanks!

I recently received my second ATC, the first a Bobcat that I ran out of room, the new one is a Cougar shell with furnace and stove.  The ATC team is great!

I am haunted by waters

#7 deminimis

deminimis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOrygun

Posted 28 December 2022 - 04:48 PM

Thanks all.

You can see why I need to get a TC again.  Dragged this beast from TX back to OR in August.  We've taken it to a KOA in The Boy's college town a couple of times since.  It's pretty amazing (dovetail joints, maple/birch cabinetry.... a bathtub), but it's not really our style of camping.  Our "water camper" works great most of the time, but doesn't work in the middle of the desert.  We wanted to do an XC trip this Spring, hitting a number of spots, but dragging this giant aluminum loaf of bread around this is just too much.  It will make a great "non-ADU", however.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220823_081707_copy_800x600.jpg

#8 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 28 December 2022 - 05:15 PM

If I had a 3500 and could do it all over again, I would get the flatbed conversion and go that route. 

#9 deminimis

deminimis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOrygun

Posted 28 December 2022 - 05:20 PM

Been there, but not this time. 

Attached Thumbnails

• o9.jpg

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 December 2022 - 05:32 PM

I think the Guanella  is a strong contender but it depends on what you want inside. Using generalities…the FWC’s will be lighter but the Hallmarks will have more amenities…JMHO.

We have an Everest (8’-6”) and carry it on my F-350 without issues.

Which ever way you decide to go be sure to measure the bed length from the top of the bed in front. Most truck beds have a “curled” lip that extends back so the length will be less than if you measured from the floor but you probably knew that

Edited by smlobx, 29 December 2022 - 05:33 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users