Photo

Time For Another Truck Camper (8' with tailgate installed...Options?)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 29 December 2022 - 06:57 PM

Grandby is the way to go in my opinion, especially if keeping it light is important to you.. Mine is exactly 8 foot so tailgate should close, my bed it exactly 8 feet and I cannot close it with the camper on (bumpers on the camper might have to be trimmed?)

The Guenella is nice, going to be on the heavier side.. but they make great campers also..

I have a 2021 GMC 3500HD and a 2021 Grandby. Originally I thought I wanted to leave the tailgate on, so I measured and looked at trimming the bumper blocks to bring the front wall of the camper within 1/2 inch of the front bed rail. Even that did not provide enough room to close the tailgate. I believe the bed on the 2021 is a couple of tenths of an inch linger than the previous model. I don’t think you can get a Grandby into a late model GM and close the tailgate.

On the other hand, if you tried it out I don’t think you’d want the tailgate there because you’d have to bend over a lot more to get in and out of the camper door. It’s a lot easier to step in and out from a lower level.

Edited by Jon R, 29 December 2022 - 07:06 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#12 deminimis

deminimis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOrygun

Posted 29 December 2022 - 07:01 PM

Thanks.  I'm leaning towards Hallmark as I've always liked them, but honestly, we'll likely get the camper that's available when it's time to buy (Grandby, Cuchara, Guanella, or possibly even a third BF (late1500).  However, my preference is to definitely go small and keep the tailgate attached, but the used market does not always care what I want.  Preference is to keep it light and short (so I don't have to use one of my SuperTrussses) 'cause we already have a lot gong on.

Attached Thumbnails

• FB_IMG_1672340365342.jpg

#13 deminimis

deminimis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOrygun

Posted 29 December 2022 - 07:01 PM

I have a 2021 GMC 3500HD and a 2021 Grandby. Originally I thought I wanted to leave the tailgate on, so I measured and looked at trimming the bumper blocks to bring the front wall of the camper within 1/2 inch of the front bed rail. Even that did not provide enough room to close the tailgate. I believe the bed on the 2021 is a couple of tenths of an inch linger than the previous model. I don’t think you can get a Grandby into a late model GM and close the tailgate.

Thank you Jon.  That is very good to know.

#14 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 29 December 2022 - 07:04 PM

We have a 2007 FWC Keystone.  Longer than the Grandby but discontinued in 2011.  

If you can find a used one that was made after FWC went back to the interior window cover (in 2005 as I recall) they are nice.  Ours does not have a built in cassette toilet and we have a plastic walmart 4 drawer unit sitting on top of a platform I built.  The porta potti stores under the platform and the drawer unit is great and convenient.  We can easily access the contents even with the top down!!!

We carry the camper with the tailgate on and down.  It serves as a narrow step and ledge which we like.  It also protects the overhanging bottom of the camper.  However, I am 6' tall but if I were much taller the ledge created by the tailgate would make ducking in the door harder.

If I were looking now I would think about a removable flatbed camper really hard.  The extra room would be nice.  I use my pickup with a bed cap so I can haul things in the cargo bed part of the year so being able to easily remove the camper and use the cargo area for hauling is important.  The downside is the additional cost.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#15 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 07:10 PM

Unless you know you want a fully equipped from the factory camper, I’d suggest taking a good look at the FWC Project M. If I was doing it again I’d seriously consider going that route.

Jon R

#16 deminimis

deminimis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOrygun

Posted 29 December 2022 - 07:44 PM

Thank you, but I do not have time to outfit a camper.  if so, I'd probably buy a used SpaceKap and build that out.  My projects are overwhelming at present (with no end in sight).  We do have a member of our little Facebook Group (CWA - Campers With Attitude) that is taking delivery of a Project M in the Spring.  That would be a great way to go (if one had the time).

#17 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 12:36 AM

Thank you, but I do not have time to outfit a camper. if so, I'd probably buy a used SpaceKap and build that out. My projects are overwhelming at present (with no end in sight). We do have a member of our little Facebook Group (CWA - Campers With Attitude) that is taking delivery of a Project M in the Spring. That would be a great way to go (if one had the time).

“I know what I’m about, son.” - Ron Swanson

Sounds like you know what you want, which is good.

Jon R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users