• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:39 PM

All the weight hanging off behind the rear axle??? Who wouldn’t say oh what the heck, let’s stick a motorcycle back there as well!?!!!!!! Yikes! I think Mopar will win this one. Next time 5500.

#12 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:56 PM

I actually saw this guy parked down at the Santa Cruz harbor campground right before Christmas. That camper is HUGE!!!!! I was very surprised when I saw it sitting on the 3500. When they had the slide outs extended the thing was holding its own next to the big 5th wheels. Crazy.

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 December 2022 - 04:59 PM

Trusting the dealers to have his best interest at heart was his mistake though I can understand thinking they knew what they were talking about. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 07:26 PM

seems to be a trend of folks insisting on putting full size campers on short bed trucks and then having issues. I also wonder how fast some folks drive on rough roads with campers and eventually have serious structural failures of either the truck or camper. Also reminds me of a post on Expedition Portal a while ago where someone had a brand new Colorado, was pulling a trailer and bent the truck frame while claiming he was only going 10 mph when he hit a bump in the road!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#15 tbaxter

tbaxter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 December 2022 - 04:28 AM

Thanks for sharing.

#16 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 31 December 2022 - 11:01 PM

"and both the Ram dealer and the camper company where we bought it said it was the perfect truck,"  Of course they did -- they want to sell campers and trucks.  I just got back from Baja and the roads there are no worse than what exists in many parts of the US.  As many have already said, too much weight behind the rear axle.

#17 Tom n N

Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 03 January 2023 - 12:53 AM

Probably preaching to the choir here but just as important as total load capacity is capacity of each axle. When I set up my current rig I went to the local truck scale and weighed not only the total (fully loaded), but also just as important, weighed each axle separately. Glad I did, as after 20 years of bad roads everything is still in one piece. When I see the current practice of strapping a bunch of junk on the back of an already overloaded rig I just shake my head and hope they don’t venture further than AAA will go.

93 Toyota 4x4 with FWC Eagle shell

65 Chevy 4x4

#18 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 01 April 2023 - 04:59 AM

Point of info, 4th and probably 5th gen rams are having an issue with the frame. FWC”s test, demo rig suffered a broken frame at less than 60k miles as I recalll about 1-2 years ago. 

there are a ton of what appear to be grossly overloaded TCls running around and not failing. I wonder if FCA and maybe some others are cutting some corners in the design, spec, and mfg area.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users