17 replies to this topic

#11 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 January 2023 - 01:56 PM

A small group of Appalachian State geology alums brought in the new year by standing out in the rain with a bushel of oysters hauled from the York River, Virginia up to 4,000' in the Blue Ridge, a feast with the bivalves prepared 4 different ways, red beans & rice, blackeyed peas, Mexican cornbread, and pickled okra.  It took 6 adults to down a 12-pack of Rolling Rock and another of Shiner Bock so nobody got too badly out of shape. All retired well before midnight and up well before sunrise.  Preparing for a First Day hike to begin shortly.

Happy New Year!

Foy

#12 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 January 2023 - 02:25 PM

We had an uneventful evening here in NC. My wife decided to have a party for the neighbors this afternoon so we were up at 5:30 getting things ready…I don’t know if I’ll make it ‘til 9pm tonight!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#13 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 02:27 PM

Last night was the first New Years Eve we had gone out in years. Our small town in Ontario, Canada had a kick-off dinner and dance for our upcoming homecoming in July. Months back they put 300 dinner and dance tickets and another 700 dance only tickets on sale and they sold out within 6hrs. Volunteers covered the ice surface with plywood and set up the stage and bars . After the dinner in the hall next door the band started on the arena floor shortly after 9. We were probably some of the older ones there but it sure was nice catching up with some of the younger ones that we haven't seen in a while. It was the first time I heard the young Guy ( Owen Riegling) from down the road perform and he put on an awesome show. All in all , it was well done by the local volunteers from this town of 1000 people!

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 January 2023 - 03:58 PM

Last night was the first New Years Eve we had gone out in years. Our small town in Ontario, Canada had a kick-off dinner and dance for our upcoming homecoming in July. Months back they put 300 dinner and dance tickets and another 700 dance only tickets on sale and they sold out within 6hrs. Volunteers covered the ice surface with plywood and set up the stage and bars . After the dinner in the hall next door the band started on the arena floor shortly after 9. We were probably some of the older ones there but it sure was nice catching up with some of the younger ones that we haven't seen in a while. It was the first time I heard the young Guy ( Owen Riegling) from down the road perform and he put on an awesome show. All in all , it was well done by the local volunteers from this town of 1000 people!

Wonderful community! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:13 PM

Our traditional steak /crab legs for dinner.  We did stay up until midnight and then quickly pulled the ripcord. We’re just cleaning up Xmas decorations and then installing a water trough/float valve for Willow’s new pasture. The new “buzz fence” works…don’t ask me how I know. 😂

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#16 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 01 January 2023 - 08:40 PM

Power went out about 4 pm. We had leftover soup made from leftover roast beef from Christmas heated on a backpack stove, crackers, salad, tea, whiskey, cookies and went to bed by 8. I did wake around midnight in order to worry about things. 

#17 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 01 January 2023 - 09:33 PM

Don't know what to expect when the 2023 door opens.... 

attachicon.gif2023 door-stick.JPG

This cartoon is just perfect!

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 January 2023 - 02:46 AM

SMUD had about 150k customers out at the peak. I somehow got lucky and wasn't one of them. I did go for a drive. Pretty impressive flooding. Not sure which fork of the Cosumnes this was. 

IMG_20221231_143847072%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Ponding everywhere. Numerous road closures. Probably need to check my wheel bearings and fluids now.

IMG_20221231_133117339%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Near Sloughouse where they closed the road.

IMG_20221231_143847072%5B1%5D-L.jpg[/url]

I normally try and get out so the dog doesn't have to hear the noise but not this year. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users