• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 02 January 2023 - 05:35 PM

Sounds like a great plan. Just checking back with you because I found my tracks from Gaia that shows 202 miles from trail beginning south of St. George to Whitmore point back out over Trumble to Tuweep Cg and out to Pipe Springs. There’s a good hike up Mt. Trumble (even after the fire). I think you’ll pass the old schoolhouse on the route, so stop in. It’s interesting.

IMG_2023-1-2-093347.jpg Whitmore Point.

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 January 2023 - 06:49 PM

Sounds like a great plan. Just checking back with you because I found my tracks from Gaia that shows 202 miles from trail beginning south of St. George to Whitmore point back out over Trumble to Tuweep Cg and out to Pipe Springs. There’s a good hike up Mt. Trumble (even after the fire). I think you’ll pass the old schoolhouse on the route, so stop in. It’s interesting.

attachicon.gifIMG_2023-1-2-093347.jpgWhitmore Point.

Yes that 202 mileage will help in our planning...we planned on going to Tuweep first and from Fredonia but may now duplicate your route....if the mileage total is less doing your route since we would like to add Twin Point but fuel may limit that addition no matter where we start from...otherwise perhaps the Fredonia Road 109 may be less mileage to Tuweep/Whitmore and allow Twin  Points..

Alas there are always limiters!  I reluctantly use RideGPS for mileage and route mapping....I am a self- proclaimed curmudgeon and always prefer paper maps if available.

Thanks yet again...Phil

#13 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 January 2023 - 06:07 PM

Question:  Without any rain issues, which road to N Rim and Trumbull/Tuweep is the most scenic....C5 or Rd109?  We have the options of entering/exiting either way.

I see checkout/in at Tuweep CG is 1100 hrs and hope to be there earlier to have a site selection...

Thanks for any observations or advice....Phil 

#14 RickD

RickD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMt. Shasta, CA

Posted 10 January 2023 - 06:46 AM

C5 is more scenic. Not by a lot though, so it depends on what direction you are coming from.

An alternative if coming from St. George: BLM 1069 leaves St. George going south connecting to C5 to 115 & Tuweep. It passes the Mt. Trumbull Schoolhouse & you can visit the Nampaweap Petrogylphs on the way. It is about an hour longer than the other two routes (not including a a stop at the schoolhouse or Petroglyphs). That might not work though if you are wanting to get to Tuweep early.

Edited by RickD, 10 January 2023 - 06:47 AM.

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 January 2023 - 04:38 PM

Rick...thanks...coming in from Nevada side and could indeed start on 1069....check-in and check-out time is 1100hrs but we check in on a Monday so hoping weekend crowd out on Sunday.  No idea if a 'ranger' checks on folks in and out.

We do plan on the petrogylphs and school house as stops; either going in or out after Tuweep and Whitmore. Last night in route is at Sacto Pass Rec by Great Basin NP.  Almost 900 miles from here to Tuweep.

Now planning to spend Sunday night near Nampaweap before first day at Tuweep.

Appreciate your recommendations and observations.

Phil

Ps...Worked as DSO at HSU for 25 years; Shasta was 'just over the hill'; skied the 'hill' several times near the hut.

Edited by Wallowa, 10 January 2023 - 04:41 PM.

#16 RickD

RickD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMt. Shasta, CA

Posted 10 January 2023 - 05:31 PM

There is a gate at the ranger station before the campground. A volunteer will check your permit. It's open at sunrise.

There are plenty of camping spots right at the Nampaweap TH.

You may have already seen the NPS info on the Mt. Trumbull scenic loop, but here's the link just in case:

https://www.nps.gov/...-loop-drive.htm

Have a great trip. The GC-Parashant NM is a wonderful place to explore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users