• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 CementTruckUT

CementTruckUT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 05:51 PM

Liftsupportdepot.com says they only have 36" and 44", just FYI.

#12 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 06 January 2023 - 06:39 PM

This might might help . . .   (see attached pic)

Attached Thumbnails

• Fleet Gas Struts.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#13 CementTruckUT

CementTruckUT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Stan!

#14 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:26 AM

Don’t know about the Fleet, but the FWC owners manual for my 2021 Grandby has a warning not to install struts with a rating higher than 40 lbs. I suspect it’s related to the strength of the attachments of the end fittings to the roof.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#15 CementTruckUT

CementTruckUT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 12:17 PM

I ended up ordering the 40 lbs. I'm really hoping they're a huge improvement from the presumed broken ones that are on there 🤞

#16 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:57 PM

I ended up ordering the 40 lbs. I'm really hoping they're a huge improvement from the presumed broken ones that are on there

let us know what u think of any improvement.

my ocelot atc has 40lb struts up front, and 30 on the back.  on our travels, helen gets in and opens the top, and the front has been a bit of a challenge. rear - no problem.  we have 2 100 watt solar panels on top, but they are oriented mostly in middle/back

Oregon

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 January 2023 - 07:42 AM

I have a fair bit of stuff on the top.... maxtrax, cell booster antenna, canoe, 330W solar panel... and because of the way I built out our camper, the lift point for the front is 1' further back than normal.  NO WAY to lift that without helper thingies.  Our Puma has 80# up front, 60# in the rear.  So far, after 2 seasons of use, they are still fine.

#18 CementTruckUT

CementTruckUT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:51 AM

Thanks, that's good to know! I'm hoping the 40# are enough. I wanted to get something stronger, but the warnings scared me off. I don't think the ones on there now work at all/fight against me, so I'm really hoping they help. All that I have up there currently is a 160W solar panel, one roof vent, and one max air fan. I'd like to add a small box for skis at some point.

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 January 2023 - 07:47 PM

Thanks, that's good to know! I'm hoping the 40# are enough. I wanted to get something stronger, but the warnings scared me off. I don't think the ones on there now work at all/fight against me, so I'm really hoping they help. All that I have up there currently is a 160W solar panel, one roof vent, and one max air fan. I'd like to add a small box for skis at some point.

I find that the Chrome surfaces of my lifters need regular attention… silicone spray on a rag works well. Dust/water clean the silicone off after a while and then it is actually much harder to lift/lower the top. Try lubing your existing lifters!

#20 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 January 2023 - 08:11 PM

With that amount of weight, I would think 30 lbs struts would be adequate, and 40 would be plenty - maybe even a little much on the rear. I have a bit more weight on the roof than you - two 200 watt rigid panels between the vents a Maxxaire fan in the rear position, and I have to pull the rear down with my 40 lbs struts all around.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users