• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 12:40 AM

Howdy

Considering an extended visit up the B.C. mainland coast. Is there any experience with the area here ?

We have spent lots of time on upper Vancouver Island and are looking for history and natural history.

May plan to trailer a small boat for lake excursions. Thinking July...are there bugs ?

Many thanks

David Graves

#2 Beate

Beate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 09 January 2023 - 03:59 PM

We travelled BC about 8 or 10 times, always with a rental RV, always 4 - 6 weeks. But only in the low season, not in July. Because in July it is much to crowded for us and we don't like prebooking all campsites in advance.

If you have questions, I try to answer.

Beate

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 04:17 PM

Hi Beale

And thanks for the response. Up on Vancouver Island we have found lots of Crown forest lands/roads to explore and assorted smaller lakes to visit for a few days at a time while rambling around for maybe three weeks.

Is same to be found on the mainland side ?...We are willing to travel north...in fact sorta wanted to visit the first nations parks that are up opposite Pt Mcneii...on the mainland side.......can't remember name just now.....trying to start my day.

FWIW we live on the north Oregon coast and know all too well the summer heavy tourist season.

DG

#4 Beate

Beate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 09 January 2023 - 05:09 PM

Yes, there is some crownsland, but very scarce. And many of them are not reachable by car, not to speak with a boat towing.

I'm very activ in a special forum for Canada and BC. And from there I know that people in BC tent to be very angry about boondocking. So you have to be carefully with choosing a place. I once asked there a question about boondocking and was bashed!!!

Are you thinking about Ts'il?os Provincial park? We travelled there a lot of years ago and at that time the road was very bad. 

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 January 2023 - 07:03 PM

David, you might watch a few of Noraly’s Canada video’s for a few ideas of places to visit.

I am haunted by waters

#6 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 09 January 2023 - 08:10 PM

Haida Gwaii (formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands) should/could be on your list. Karen and I plus 6 other friends from Bend did a guided kayak trip there in 2019,  a once in a lifetime experience for sure. A couple of our group drove up (we flew into Sandspit) and took a ferry from Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert then another connection to Haida Gwaii. After our kayak trip ended they stayed on the islands and camped/BnBs for a few more days to take in the amazingly creative artist and artisan's work on display. There is a must see First Nation cultural center there also.

Images from our 8 day kayak tour.

https://www.flickr.c...th/48756338316/

Edited by CraggyMan, 09 January 2023 - 08:11 PM.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:49 AM

Thanks All...just starting to think about this but generally I mean in the area between Fraser River and Prince Ruppert...perhaps further north.

DG

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:56 AM

Great photos. We with our daughters 12 and 15 at the time (1992)

camped on the north island for 3 nights.We had a nice campsite a few miles out of

Skidgate. We traveled up to the Agate beach and the park there.

Very nice time.We took the ferry from PR.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 January 2023 - 01:16 AM

Thanks All...just starting to think about this but generally I mean in the area between Fraser River and Prince Ruppert...perhaps further north.

DG

The Cassiar Hwy for sure and a side trip to Hyder/Stewart.

Rupert has always been nice for a night stay on several trips.

Be sure to try Smile"s restaurant if it's open.

Great seafood and prices.

Rupert has some nice walking trails around town and out to the ferry landing.

There's a lake Seely Provincial Park,east before you get to Kitwanga/Cassiar/hwy37/gas stop.

Nice quiet lake with several sites.

Enjoy the planing.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 10 January 2023 - 05:35 AM

We travel between the NW US and our cabin in NW BC every year.  Often different routes.  Last year stayed at Kleanza Prov. Park near Terrace - very nice spot (we were there in early May), but may be busy midsummer.  Most of the provincial parks are pretty nice and if you prefer a little more rustic, there are a number of what are called recreation sites that are smaller, less used places.  Smithers is a good supply point (and a nice town) on the Yellowhead hwy.  If you want to get off the main road, Ft. St. James is kind of interesting - mostly logging/paper town but lots of nice spots to explore around there on logging roads, if that's of interest.

Another interesting trip would be highway 20 west out of Williams Lake to the coast.  Not highly used (though it has been 10 years since I was on it last so no guarantees), interesting scenery particularly at the western part in the higher mountains.  Plan on several days minimum to do it justice.

As already mentioned, highway 37A west from Meziadin to Stewart and Hyder is beautiful.  Gorgeous coastal country on the old mining roads north out of Hyder up toward Salmon Glacier and the old Granduc mine area.  And the Cassiar (37) north toward Yukon is a nice drive although they just put in a huge power line up the first couple hundred miles.  Quite an eyesore, in my opinion - it could have been done with more thought toward the visual effects.

Just a few things to consider.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users