• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 10 January 2023 - 06:55 AM

Great photos. We with our daughters 12 and 15 at the time (1992)

camped on the north island for 3 nights.We had a nice campsite a few miles out of

Skidgate. We traveled up to the Agate beach and the park there.

Very nice time.We took the ferry from PR.

Frank

We definitely want to go back with our camper as we had flown up for the kayak trip so were pretty limited as to travel on the islands. Your trip sounds like a good one. - Cheers

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#12 Beate

Beate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:35 AM

As I just read "Hyder/Seward": There is a beautiful boondocking up the road at the parking-lot and viewpoint to Salmon Glacier.

You'll have this view:

https://www.tripadvi...der_Alaska.html

As we drove it (3-times) the road was very bad, but the last time they seemed to build up the road because in the backcountry they where building a "mine", for whatever they found there, I couldn't get the information.

But this road involves a border-crossing into Alaska. As we went in there were no border-controll. But the way out the Canadians stopped us and asked all the questions as if it was a big border. We had to laugh, because one of the question was "what did you buy in America", but on the american site no shop or restaurant was open. It is a ghost town. And the customs officier for sure did know this.

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 January 2023 - 06:34 PM

We travel between the NW US and our cabin in NW BC every year.  Often different routes.  Last year stayed at Kleanza Prov. Park near Terrace - very nice spot (we were there in early May), but may be busy midsummer.  Most of the provincial parks are pretty nice and if you prefer a little more rustic, there are a number of what are called recreation sites that are smaller, less used places.  Smithers is a good supply point (and a nice town) on the Yellowhead hwy.  If you want to get off the main road, Ft. St. James is kind of interesting - mostly logging/paper town but lots of nice spots to explore around there on logging roads, if that's of interest.

Another interesting trip would be highway 20 west out of Williams Lake to the coast.  Not highly used (though it has been 10 years since I was on it last so no guarantees), interesting scenery particularly at the western part in the higher mountains.  Plan on several days minimum to do it justice.

Just a few things to consider.

Hwy 20 west of Williams Lake,is that the one to the coast,at Bella Bella?

A neighbor took that trip several years ago.He was hauling a large trailer with a

duel wheeled pickup. He had vehicle problems but I think he drove the road way to fast.

Many years ago I toyed with that drive ,but starting with the ferry and heading east.

The ferry schedule is very tricky so we nixed that plan.

BC is all beautiful area.

We have enjoyed the visits to Hyder/Stewart. Our first trip there was in 1990 on the now discontinued

Alaska ferry. That was a really fun trip.The ferry was one of the smallest of the system.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 06:39 PM

As I just read "Hyder/Seward": There is a beautiful boondocking up the road at the parking-lot and viewpoint to Salmon Glacier.

You'll have this view:

As we drove it (3-times) the road was very bad, but the last time they seemed to build up the road because in the backcountry they where building a "mine", for whatever they found there, I couldn't get the information.

But this road involves a border-crossing into Alaska. As we went in there were no border-controll. But the way out the Canadians stopped us and asked all the questions as if it was a big border. We had to laugh, because one of the question was "what did you buy in America", but on the american site no shop or restaurant was open. It is a ghost town. And the customs officier for sure did know this.

I remember that crossing also.Some of the questions the Canadians were strange to say the least.

Hyder doesn't have anything and it's a dead end road Salmon and bears and beautiful scenery.

Thanks for sharing these photos.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 06:41 PM

We definitely want to go back with our camper as we had flown up for the kayak trip so were pretty limited as to travel on the islands. Your trip sounds like a good one. - Cheers

Thanks it was fun.It was a tent camping trip.Our daughters had a great time.

They still talk about it.30 years later.

Frank

#16 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 January 2023 - 07:28 PM

"As I just read "Hyder/Seward": There is a beautiful boondocking up the road at the parking-lot and viewpoint to Salmon Glacier.

You'll have this view:

But this road involves a border-crossing into Alaska. As we went in there were no border-controll. But the way out the Canadians stopped us and asked all the questions as if it was a big border. We had to laugh, because one of the question was "what did you buy in America", but on the american site no shop or restaurant was open. It is a ghost town. And the customs officier for sure did know this."

================================================

Same experience...Hyder and road up to Salmon Glacier is well worth the effort to get there; beautiful country...no customs going back into US / Hyder and the shack serving as customs coming back into Canada was...well we had a very distasteful event....could not see anybody at the border building, stopped, looked around, started to pull out and a VERY loud siren cranked up...stopped immediately and backed up and a full body armor, armed to the gills Valkyrie appeared and started yelling at us [our windows were down] that "in Canada, stop means stop and what does it mean in Oregon"?  She said that she was ready to start in pursuit and the fine could be $2,000 for not stopping...tried to explain we stopped, but she was not listening and my wife nudged me to relent ..I am a retired LEO and she was way over the line; but she held all the cards; as the saying goes "Mess with the bull and you get the horn"...grilled us for 10mins determined to nail me, without success; I offered nothing for her to push against...honestly, it really spoiled much of that part of the trip...nothing against Canadians but some, not all, feel Americans are rich, gun loving, arrogant assholes....coming into Canada at Idaho border I had spent 25 mins trying explain to RCMP Bardal [honest that was his name] that my permit for bringing in a shotgun was valid and that we were boondocking for weeks in bear country with no way to escape our Hawk FWC if a bear wanted in badly enough; hence the shotgun...same, same, he repeated over and over that park rangers would provide for our safety and firearms were never needed; notwithstanding that we were boondocking...finally, put my requisite money on top of the permit and pushed it across the counter to him...and I stopped trying to explain my rationale...we took the shotgun in and out without any other fanfare. 

No desire to belly bump with Canadians on this forum or in country; 99+% are great folks....but keep your head down and your situational awareness up...contentious contacts everywhere seem to be becoming more the norm; there and here.

Docent/manager at bear watching site/structure in Hyder was a super guy and very informative.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 10 January 2023 - 07:33 PM.

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:01 PM

Phil,we had a similar experience after getting off the Blackball ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria.

It was the last ferry of the night and we were staying right across the street at a motel.

We got the third degree even a camper search.

I think they were training some newbees.

Yes just keep your head down and don't ruffle any feathers.

That was back in 2010.

Frank

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:31 PM

Here are a few photos of the Hyder area.

Smiles fish house PR

north to alaska III 309.jpeg

Downtown Hyder

north to alaska III 266.jpeg

north to alaska III 254.jpeg

north to alaska III 253.jpeg [

Bear Glacier .When we first saw this glacier it covered the small lake.

north to alaska III 251.jpeg

There are more photos of this BC trip on my blog.

Trip was made in 2009.

It was posted in 2014 "Southeast Alaska and BC"

Frank

#19 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:35 AM

Frank,

Yes, Highway 20 goes out to the coast to Bella Coola (Bella Bella is actually further west on an island, only access is ferry).  Partway out the road from the Fraser, it turns to gravel and can be slow going.  The top of the road is about where it goes into the east side of Tweedsmuir park.  Going downhill toward Hagensborg and Bella Coola is a pretty hair-raising downgrade with nasty switchbacks in places.  Not a big deal for a truck with camper and decent brakes, but could be nerve-racking if one is not used to driving such roads.  When we were there it was not heavily traveled but big trucks do go in and out, and in some places it is definitely a one-lane road, so traveler be aware.

A note on Salmon glacier at Hyder: every year since maybe the 1970s, the creek under the glacier has frozen in winter and backs up a lake in springtime.  Eventually, some time in the summer, the ice plug melts and the lake drains very dramatically.  It would be something to witness.

#20 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:39 PM

Frank,

Yes, Highway 20 goes out to the coast to Bella Coola (Bella Bella is actually further west on an island, only access is ferry).  Partway out the road from the Fraser, it turns to gravel and can be slow going.  The top of the road is about where it goes into the east side of Tweedsmuir park.  Going downhill toward Hagensborg and Bella Coola is a pretty hair-raising downgrade with nasty switchbacks in places.  Not a big deal for a truck with camper and decent brakes, but could be nerve-racking if one is not used to driving such roads.  When we were there it was not heavily traveled but big trucks do go in and out, and in some places it is definitely a one-lane road, so traveler be aware.

A note on Salmon glacier at Hyder: every year since maybe the 1970s, the creek under the glacier has frozen in winter and backs up a lake in springtime.  Eventually, some time in the summer, the ice plug melts and the lake drains very dramatically.  It would be something to witness.

Thanks. I always get the 2 villages reversed.Don't know why we have ferried past them many,many times.

Your road description is what I have read.Another road that you need to be careful and take your time.

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users