41 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 January 2023 - 04:10 PM

There has been discussion here on WTW about these heaters. I am curious who has installed and is using one in your camper? Have you had it long enough to require maintenance or repair? Would you do it again? Are there any additional issues? Do you have recommendations? 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:15 PM

I've seen a lot of discussion on these over the years and if you google it, there's a whole forum called something like "Chinese diesel heaters" and apparently the brand most people use are from China.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:18 PM

I've seen a lot of discussion on these over the years and if you google it, there's a whole forum called something like "Chinese diesel heaters" and apparently the brand most people use are from China.  

Yes, I've seen lots of discussion. That's why I'm interested if any of our folks here on WTW have taken the plunge and can give us personal insight.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 capt.don

capt.don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNorthern Lake Superior

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:35 PM

I have a 10' Alaskan camper that was equipped with a propane catalytic heater that was non vented. I installed an 8kw chinese diesel heater and could not be happier with the results. It has run for over 100 hours at this point and has had no problems and is very economical to run.

#5 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:00 PM

Sorry Ski, no experience here. But you might want to check out GrizzlyNbear Overland on YouTube. They installed one on their FWC. I like that it’s located outside underneath the (I believe) passenger side wing of the camper. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:09 PM

Following.  No interest as of yet, but possibly in the future.

I do have experience with a Wallas diesel two burner stove/heater.  For us it worked well, but with others in the CDory community there was some umbrage.  The lid contained a squirrel cage fan to distribute air through the cabin, but we usually relied on an EcoFan because there was no battery draw.  

Wallas does make units for RVs,  ScanMarine in Seattle is the only distributor.

I am haunted by waters

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:22 PM

I have a 10' Alaskan camper that was equipped with a propane catalytic heater that was non vented. I installed an 8kw chinese diesel heater and could not be happier with the results. It has run for over 100 hours at this point and has had no problems and is very economical to run.

Could you share a photo or two? Do you have a diesel truck and did you tap into the fuel system? How's the noise from the clicking fuel pump? Thanks for responding!

#8 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:53 PM

my 2 cents:

one of the big benefits of pop-up campers, is space utilization, and general lack of gizmos.

and , in my opinion, the only place for a diesel heater, is with a diesel pickup. thus no additional fuel storage.

and, newer diesels include a LOT of gizmos/technology/etc., to meet emissions regs. a lot more 'things' to go wrong.  the sprinter diesel was often touted as a very reliable engine - but their newer engines require more attention,  and are not suited to low rpm driving - the engine needs to run hotter and longer to operate optimally.

go

Oregon

#9 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 06:42 PM

A friend just installed one on his Ford Transit build. One issue is having to extend the dip tube in the fuel tank since the one that Ford has as OEM is goes only about 1/2 into the tank. Not a deal killer, but something to check if you do install

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#10 Dutch23

Dutch23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 06:27 PM

Installed one in my hawk shell. Took out my propane furnace and installed it in the same spot, the heater is a fraction of the size of the propane one so I gained some extra storage area below it. Managed to use the same exhaust/inlet fitting from the propane furnace so no extra drilling holes in the side of the camper. Used the old propane compartment to hold a five gallon diesel can.

gallery_10874_1563_1965808.jpeg

gallery_10874_1563_204281.jpeg

gallery_10874_1563_1170363.jpeg

I recently switched it up to pull from the tank of my diesel truck now and placed a water tank where the propane used to be. No issues with the noise of the pump, you can buy silencers that you mount after to help dampen the noise. Mine now lives on the truck so it’s further away from the camper, it’s louder from outside the camper than it is inside the camper.

I really like how it stays on constantly as opposed to the propane heater, I felt that with propane the temperature would fluctuate a lot in between run times. The diesel heater provides constant heat and only kicks up if it needs too. Battery draw is small overnight and diesel consumption is also very little.

Overall I think it’s an awesome upgrade for my shell. I’d be a bit hesitant to upgrade if I had any other appliances that required propane, but I cook with my instant pot or a small Coleman stove using little 1 gal propane bottles so I had no hesitation getting rid of the propane bottles and propane furnace.

Edited by ski3pin, 14 January 2023 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users