41 replies to this topic

#21 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 19 January 2023 - 07:13 PM

Have one of the Planar kits on order, will be wanting to use it in both our Gazelle tent, when we are taking the jeep, and the main camper truck. Both are diesel, so is a plus, now i have to find the vent for the ATC camper to hook the hose to, and then get the nerve to cut a hole in the side.
Thanks to all for this great post!

I'm trying to remember the small issues I had when I first got mine. And I want to write those down in case I need them later. For those readers with no interest in Planar heaters, you may want to skip this...

1- Fuel knob is unmarked as to which way to turn it to open or close. If I remember correctly the laminated cheat sheet of instructions just says open it but doesn't say how. Counterclockwise to open, clockwise to close. Lefty opie, righty closey.

2- If you forget to open the fuel valve (as I once did), the signs of that are kind of subtle. The heater sounds like it's going through the normal start. You hear the fan test and, after a long wait, the initial clunks of the fuel pump. It tries ignition but something seems wrong in the sequence of sounds you normally hear. What it's doing is re-trying. It tries twice more before shutting down. The right side LED on the manual control will be double-blinking red. The double-blink merely means it failed to start so it's up to you to figure out why that might be. I don't quite remember how I got it to try again once I remembered to open the valve. I see the control manual says push any button but I don't remember if I pushed it once to clear the malfunction and again to start or just pushed it once.

3- When you plug the power and control cables in to the heater, the control LED fast-blinks green. But that green LED times out. So it can be a little confusing. By the time you get things fully set up outside and then go inside to push the start button, the LED may be off. If you were expecting it to be green to signal everything's ready for starting, you may think something's wrong when it's actually fine.

4- The heater comes with a laminated cheat-sheet for operating the heater, an operations manual, and a manual for the PU-5 control. Blink-codes for any malfunctions are in the PU-5 manual. Note- It can be confusing to see error-code tables in the some manuals for the 2D but they are for other controls.

5 - The manual for the PU-5 has two flowcharts to show how the control operates. The top one applies. The bottom one is for an installation with an optional remote temperature sensor.

6 - To shut down the heater, press the heat button (wiggly-lines icon) once. The LED will blink red during shutdown.

7 - The manuals for this heater tells us to run it once a month even during the warm season. I just found this paragraph in the installation manual that explains why:

"To ensure reliable operation of the heater, switch it on once a month for 20 minutes on full power, including the warm seasons of the year, when the heater is out of operation. This action is necessary to remove any viscous film sediments on moving parts of the fuel pump. Failure to do so may lead to premature failure of the heater."

I need to do a little better on that and get it on my reminders calendar. I did remember to run it in mid-summer and used it on trips within about 60 days on either side of that in 2022.

8- My portable has an exhaust shield, a flat, round cap atop the vertical exhaust pipe. I figured it was probably a rain shield. But now I see some photos of the portable don't have it or have it but show the end of the exhaust pipe bent over. I called the distributor a few days ago and was told the shield was there to cover the sharp end of the exhaust pipe but they now use a finish ring. The general installation manual for the 2D (which is not specific to it being mounted in a hard case) says a shield is required and says:

"In absence of the shield, air will be blown back into the exhaust pipe. This leads to increased heater shooting and impairs heat capacity." (I assume shooting is supposed to be sooting)

Edited 1/19/23 to add-

9- The fuse holders and fuses on the power cable look a little strange so I called the distributor. Use 25-amp mini-blade (ATM) fuses available most places selling auto parts. I bought a few for spares and they do work.

Edited 1/27/23 to add:

10- Current draw goes back up to nearly 10 amps again during shutdown to burn off residual fuel.

Edited by Old Crow, 27 January 2023 - 05:58 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#22 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 07:24 PM

Old Crow, thank you for sharing your personal experience with a diesel heater. This was helpful for me. You touched on one of the issues that is a concern for me, operation at elevation. Julie and I are often camped between 8 and 11 thousand feet.

ski, I don't know if this idea is possible with the non-Chinese diesel heaters but I recently ran onto this info.  It may interest you if you're considering a Chinese one....

I'll show it in two forms-- a web site and a Youtube video as they offer slightly different perspectives

Chinese Diesel Heater Elevation Adjustment

Adjusting your Chinese Diesel Heater for High altitude elevation or sea level use

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 January 2023 - 07:55 PM

I’m happy with my Propex, and also interested in these diesel heaters since I drive a diesel truck.

If you tap into your main diesel tank, I’m wondering about how these heaters react to changes in fuel type, mostly type 1 and type 2 diesel (and for those going to Baja - do you need a heater in Baja? - what the effect of high sulphuric diesel might be) and about the various diesel additives that I use to prevent gelling and/or increase lubricity.

Might be good to know.

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 January 2023 - 08:45 PM

ski, I don't know if this idea is possible with the non-Chinese diesel heaters but I recently ran onto this info.  It may interest you if you're considering a Chinese one....

I'll show it in two forms-- a web site and a Youtube video as they offer slightly different perspectives

Chinese Diesel Heater Elevation Adjustment

Adjusting your Chinese Diesel Heater for High altitude elevation or sea level use

Very helpful, thanks Old Crow!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 January 2023 - 11:37 PM

One thing that caught my attention is that Planar heaters appear to be made in Russia.  I don’t know if that should be a concern, but due to current politics, support and parts might be an issue.

I am haunted by waters

#26 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 03:18 PM

One thing that caught my attention is that Planar heaters appear to be made in Russia.  I don’t know if that should be a concern, but due to current politics, support and parts might be an issue.

Good point, Sage.  I've been getting good support from the North American distributor in Canada.  They've replied promptly and thoroughly to my emails and phone calls and offered ideas.  They stock parts locally but of course we can't tell how deep their stocks are or whether they've been having (or anticipate) significant disruptions to their supply chains.  In such uncertain times it would be good for them to have relationships with their counterparts in Europe and Australia or perhaps the dealer network if short-term shortages occur but of course we have no idea.  

If they don't have those relationships I guess I'd first turn to Ebay where I currently see lots of Planar and Autoterm parts.  If still no luck I guess it would be time to start looking through the list of Autoterm's 1700-plus business partners  and start making calls.  If all that fails, I guess I'd have to assess whether it makes sense to swap out the Planar for a German or Chinese model.

The other issue that brings to mind is what spares I might proactively buy, if any. I did buy spare fuses and am considering a gasket set and glow-plug screen for around $30.  I guess the next to consider would be a spare glow plug but thats around $70. But given that my use of the heater is occasional and I have alternatives, I don't think I'll do that.

I've also been looking for a good, active Planar or Autoterm forum but so far no luck in that.  If anyone is aware of such a forum or a heater forum with a Planar/Autoterm sub-topic, please let me know.

Edited by Old Crow, 21 January 2023 - 03:38 PM.

#27 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 23 January 2023 - 04:01 PM

Old Crow,

Thank You for all the tips. 

I have gone round and round on this. First i wanted to replace the propane heater, then i wanted auxillary electric. The whole time i had kept my eyes on a diesel heater.

I went with a portable unit for times when i wanted to augment the propane heater. Mostly cool to cold, and humid areas. We just got back from a short 3 day down the OR/CA coast. Weather was great, but this time of year has a lot of moisture in the temp. The furnace was fine, but my thoughts are to use both. Plus i could maybe sleep a bit better without hearing the furnace going off and on all night.

We like it reasonable as far as temps go at night. Say 50 ish. Any colder and she is not super happy.

With the portable, i could set it out side at the back of the truck, let it put some drier heat in the camper, and hopefully be far enough away from the bed to negate the noise.

The other intended use would be in the Gazelle tent, for when we are glamping out of the jeep. For some reason, our jeep set-up seems a little more luxurious then the camper, with a big bed, two fridges, heater, stove, sink and sitting area. Strange.

Thanks again. Looking forward to putting it to use in the coming months.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#28 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:44 PM

A few diesel heater resources. If you've been looking at diesel heaters for a while you may already be familiar with these...

1- "Chinese Diesel vehicle air heaters - Troubleshooting & Parts sales" (Facebook group). This is a private Facebook group of more than 63,000 members.  I've seen it recommended a good bit.  I'm not a fan of Facebook and was wary of joining anything on it but at this point I'm OK with it. Joining was a bit odd and took a couple of days for me as I missed a checkbox on first attempt. I also had a learning curve finding things on the site.  At first you just see current posts but once you figure out where the Files are and how to search the group posts, it's useful. There are currently 166 files in the Files area.  Clicking on the file name didn't seem to do anything but if I click on the 3 dots on the far right of each file, I can download it.  The Media area has more photos and videos than I care to count but I'm not sure yet how to get context.  To search for something in the group's posts, click on the magnifying glass icon to enter your search terms.

2- Oft-recommended playing-with-heaters video series : John McK 47.

John Mck 47 Chinese Diesel Heaters playlist

3- Another interesting playing-with-heaters video series which answers questions we didn't even know to ask: David McLuckie (the helloooo! guy)

David McLuckie playlists (click on Chinese Diesel heaters)

------------------------------------- 

Also- I'm a bit reluctant to post more on portable diesel heaters (vs permanently-installed ones) as I don't want to give the impression I think the portable ones are superior. They aren't well-suited to truck-campers and vans as they're not as convenient to use and they have their drawbacks (storage, daily setup/teardown, possibly being stolen,etc). But I really like mine and others may be interested in them so...

Here are some alternative sellers: 

Lolo  Xventures  BK Marine hCalory (be sure to read reviews on the hCalory-- the case is apparently fragile-- but it does solve the typical "all-in-one" heater design problem of underslung intake and exhaust)

And for learning: A pretty nice how-to-put-a-heater-in-a-box video.  This one has Amazon and Lowe's links for the parts. I added them up and the guy has about $700 in the heater ($140), case ($120) and parts and another $65 in hole saws.

thelexcruiser DIY heater in a box video

Edited 1/26/23 to add:

Another seller of a heater-in-a-box (but currently out of stock as they work on a redesign) : Gola heater at YonaAdventureGear

Edited by Old Crow, 26 January 2023 - 09:08 PM.

#29 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:11 PM

My brother called this morning about testing his new Chinese diesel heater.

I had demonstrated my Planar portable when I visited him over the holidays and that got him thinking about a permanently-installed heater for his Sunlite truck camper.  A few weeks later he bought a Vevor heater kit off Ebay for $95. It's this one (price is now a bit higher).

We've both been spending time on the Chinese Diesel Heater Troubleshooting group on Facebook. One of the recommendations there --- particularly on Vevor models --- is to bench-test your diesel heater soon after getting it.  These cheap heaters apparently have a fairly high component failure rate and you want to find that out while still in the return window.

A bench-test also makes it easy to watch what's going on (like checking the flow of bubbles in the fuel line).  And it gives you some confidence that you aren't going to go to the trouble of installing it only to find it's a dud.

In my brother's case, he set it up in his garage on a Work-Mate portable work bench.  He clamped the base in the wooden vise jaws, bent the exhaust pipe from a U to an L and didn't even bother clamping it on... just pushed it on and pointed the other end toward the door. He had a battery there he had removed from the camper for the winter.  He taped the fuel pump to the leg at a 45-degree angle and pulled diesel fuel from a fuel-can in a milk-crate.

I asked how long it took to get it running.  He said the best way to describe it was ten 15-minute sessions of actual trying, interspersed with searches for info on YouTube, the web and the Troubleshooting group on what to try next.

As expected, the manual wasn't very helpful as it's a poor translation of Chinese into English.  I asked if he had looked through the files on the Troubleshooting site.  He had but was confused by things like a controller being called 'the black controller' and his is black-- but he then figured out there are controllers that have the same outer black case but aren't the same as his.  And one file seemed to match his but only gave very basic startup info--- nothing on how to change modes, for example.

He at first understood that he should push the bottom two buttons of the controller to prime the heater but that didn't do anything,  He later figured out it was the side two buttons.  But by that time it didn't matter-- successive re-tries eventually got it running.  We discussed the fact that some on the Troubleshooting site recommend that you don't use the priming function at all--- just do successive attempts to start it (to avoid flooding it).  My brother said the problem with that is it takes longer than you'd expect so it seems like that's not working either. And of course in the back of your mind you're thinking the pump may be damaging itself running dry.

Like me, he was surprised at the long starting sequence and how long it takes till it actually pushes warm air.  He said he's also surprised by the noise-- not so much the exhaust as the whoosh of the air coming out the outlet duct. 

He said the remote worked first try and did come with batteries.

I asked if he noticed a smell from the heater as we've seen complaints about a long-lasting burning-rubber smell on new heaters.  He has not but then again has only done a few test runs thus far.

His heater has what I believe is called the updated controller.  I don't believe it has a way to go in with the engineering-mode password to set fan RPM and pump speed for elevation adjustments.  It does have Alpine Mode, which I believe is a limited form of that (meaning it allows some elevation adjustment but not as much as the other controllers.)

#30 capt.don

capt.don

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNorthern Lake Superior

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:01 PM

My brother called this morning about testing his new Chinese diesel heater.

I had demonstrated my Planar portable when I visited him over the holidays and that got him thinking about a permanently-installed heater for his Sunlite truck camper.  A few weeks later he bought a Vevor heater kit off Ebay for $95. It's this one (price is now a bit higher).

We've both been spending time on the Chinese Diesel Heater Troubleshooting group on Facebook. One of the recommendations there --- particularly on Vevor models --- is to bench-test your diesel heater soon after getting it.  These cheap heaters apparently have a fairly high component failure rate and you want to find that out while still in the return window.

A bench-test also makes it easy to watch what's going on (like checking the flow of bubbles in the fuel line).  And it gives you some confidence that you aren't going to go to the trouble of installing it only to find it's a dud.

In my brother's case, he set it up in his garage on a Work-Mate portable work bench.  He clamped the base in the wooden vise jaws, bent the exhaust pipe from a U to an L and didn't even bother clamping it on... just pushed it on and pointed the other end toward the door. He had a battery there he had removed from the camper for the winter.  He taped the fuel pump to the leg at a 45-degree angle and pulled diesel fuel from a fuel-can in a milk-crate.

I asked how long it took to get it running.  He said the best way to describe it was ten 15-minute sessions of actual trying, interspersed with searches for info on YouTube, the web and the Troubleshooting group on what to try next.

As expected, the manual wasn't very helpful as it's a poor translation of Chinese into English.  I asked if he had looked through the files on the Troubleshooting site.  He had but was confused by things like a controller being called 'the black controller' and his is black-- but he then figured out there are controllers that have the same outer black case but aren't the same as his.  And one file seemed to match his but only gave very basic startup info--- nothing on how to change modes, for example.

He at first understood that he should push the bottom two buttons of the controller to prime the heater but that didn't do anything,  He later figured out it was the side two buttons.  But by that time it didn't matter-- successive re-tries eventually got it running.  We discussed the fact that some on the Troubleshooting site recommend that you don't use the priming function at all--- just do successive attempts to start it (to avoid flooding it).  My brother said the problem with that is it takes longer than you'd expect so it seems like that's not working either. And of course in the back of your mind you're thinking the pump may be damaging itself running dry.

Like me, he was surprised at the long starting sequence and how long it takes till it actually pushes warm air.  He said he's also surprised by the noise-- not so much the exhaust as the whoosh of the air coming out the outlet duct. 

He said the remote worked first try and did come with batteries.

I asked if he noticed a smell from the heater as we've seen complaints about a long-lasting burning-rubber smell on new heaters.  He has not but then again has only done a few test runs thus far.

His heater has what I believe is called the updated controller.  I don't believe it has a way to go in with the engineering-mode password to set fan RPM and pump speed for elevation adjustments.  It does have Alpine Mode, which I believe is a limited form of that (meaning it allows some elevation adjustment but not as much as the other controllers.)

I must have been lucky since I just opened the Vevor box and installed mine and it worked as expected. As for the brand "Vevor", I have a couple of these and know a few others that have used them in other applications. I would venture to guess that there is but one manufacturing source in China since everyone I have ever looked at, other than possibly color, is identical regardless of the "brand name". Pump speed is determined by pulse setting on the controller or remote, the higher the pulse number, the more pump strokes delivering fuel resulting in more heat. I have never had a performance issue with altitude but have only used it between 600 and 8000 feet. As for starting time and uncertainty, the devices are rather smart, (they should be since they are a complete copy of the German Espar heaters widely used in numerous industries worldwide) and will not allow themselves to run without adequate fuel supply, battery voltage and airflow. Switching off source battery power while operating is the only sure way to wreck one since it will not be able to protect itself.

These heaters obviously have their limitations depending on application used, but all in all they are a cheap reliable efficient heat source for an average camper. Now, I have no intention of selling my woodstove and pulling out the lp furnace to begin using Vevor to heat my house and shop in northern Minnesota. But I have found in my camper and ice fishing house they do perform better than the propane heaters I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users