18 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:52 PM

There was a break in the seemingly endless line of storms moving off the Pacific into California. We managed to sneak in a quick trip during this break. If you're curious why it took so much time for me to complete my last trip report, this is one of the reasons. Here we go -

Death valley - December 2022

Please enjoy. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 January 2023 - 12:05 AM

A fair (???) division of labor! "I've just finished writing this. I'll call the Lady inside to help edit. She's outside shoveling snow."

We love Johnson Canyon. Thanks for the trip report!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 January 2023 - 12:25 AM

Looks amazing, thanks!

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 January 2023 - 01:03 AM

It had to be old because it was made in the USA.”

Sad, but mostly true…

Thanks for letting us tag along, it’s been 14 years since I’ve been in Johnson Canyon.  I’m glad the old Airflow is still in place.

I am haunted by waters

#5 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:28 AM

thx monte !

hey, someone has to shovel the snow !

Oregon

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:57 AM

Those concentric circles in the rock are really beautiful.  Any idea how they formed?

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:09 PM

Those concentric circles in the rock are really beautiful.  Any idea how they formed?

Vic, geologists call that 'flow banding'. Very common in extrusive igneous rocks such as ash flows. Think of the swirls in a marble cake batter. The ash comes out as a dense ground hugging cloud of gas, half melted glass fragments and chunks of all kinds of rock and debris. Look up Nuee Ardant. When the mix of gas and ash cools enough to turn into a hot gloppy mass, that is when the flow banding forms. Later, when long cooled, erosion carves down into the rock, like you would slice a marble cake, and voila -- you have fascinating color bands.

Tony

Edited by AWG_Pics, 12 January 2023 - 02:24 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:19 PM

Another great report.  A few similarities to our last trip there, when we camped near the airflow one night, and out at the mouth where you camped another night.  We hiked up the canyon and ended up on the higher route and ran out of time before making it to the ranch as well.  We didn't ever spot the lower route though.  Darn short winter days anyway. Thanks for the write up and the pics!

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:03 PM

Excellent report, as usual.  DV offers so many opportunities to explore, and my list keeps getting longer!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:11 PM

Vic, geologists call that 'flow banding'. Very common in extrusive igneous rocks such as ash flows. Think of the swirls in a marble cake batter. The ash comes out as a dense ground hugging cloud of gas, half melted glass fragments and chunks of all kinds of rock and debris. Look up Nuee Ardant. When the mix of gas and ash cools enough to turn into a hot gloppy mass, that is when the flow banding forms. Later, when long cooled, erosion carves down into the rock, like you would slice a marble cake, and voila -- you have fascinating colors bands.
Tony

Fascinating, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users