• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 January 2023 - 02:43 AM

Thanks for the intro to this camper, Ive never seen it before. Looks clean, and well thought out in many ways. I searched for weight and found 1200lbs? Impressively light for a camper with all the fixins. The self centering mounting system looks very simple and effective. I love all the upper windows and natural light. I do not like that the windows in the "bedroom" have no clear glass option, but only screen or black out. We love opening our peekaboo of the outside while slowly waking up in bed. Sometimes we just want the view and not the outside conditions. With only one window in the back door, the lack of natural, ambient light would be a concern while un-popped. Seems I'm always in there messing with something or packing and don't always want or need to pop up. Agree with the issues involved in an electric pop top.

I would like to know more about the truma heating system.

Great camper but for the price, I still prefer the K.I.S.S. technology of the FWC.

#12 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 12 January 2023 - 06:21 AM

There's many things I like about this camper. Many things look really well thought out.

The mounting system is more compact than FWC and ATC, enabling a wider inside space. I wonder if the aft attachment will fatigue because it's a flat plate that looks like it could take some bending... but maybe time will tell I'm wrong. (I'm paranoid about fatigue after working in aerospace.) In general, the use of space appears to be more efficient.

I've wondered if instead of a slide-in camper, one could have a drop-down camper. Then more space in front of the wheel well could be used. The jacks would have to lift it awfully high though.

I wish manufacturers would have fairings built in to reduce noise and drag. This one has a bit of wedge on the front though, which presumably helps the airflow go around the corner. (Oops, there's the aerospace mentality coming back.) The jack attachment appears to be more efficient too. It'd be interesting to see how the jacks attach.

The thicker overhang and taller overall package isn't all that great a feature. Probably it would fit in fewer garages. But the space it provides sure is nice. I've had to stealth camp in ours a few times with the top down (only by myself), and it's pretty cramped.

Use of carbon reinforced plastic, like the drawer under the floor is really interesting. Does that raise the floor level? I'd have to look at it again. (787 material!). I'd rather have a lower camper than a thick floor with storage... but others might love the storage.

There's a lot of extra features that seemingly would weigh a lot, but assuming those are options and could be left off, the design has many clever features, and seems like a next-generation architecture.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#13 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 12 January 2023 - 06:30 AM

Looking at their website I believe the newer campers have a side window on the driver's side. My wife and I reviewed the video and her first comments were the lack of another window and more storage cabinets. I think since the company is just getting up and running that more models/options will come along as they get tooled up and hear the feedback.

The basement storage drawer seems like a great idea as I don't thing the camper structure is really designed to be user friendly for bolting accessories onto the sides.

My neighbor picks his up next week. Looking forward to the tour.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#14 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 January 2023 - 02:50 PM

I looked at the company video awhile back and this was definitely more thorough and well done.

I like the overall inside height, with the top down and up. My wife really wishes she could sit up in the bed of our Hawk, and being able to be more comfortable sitting etc with the top down would be nice, but the overall height of camper is more so lots of downsides there.

I used to like the wrap around front windows until I found that there was no actual window. I think the plastic windows is also a layer of rain protection so I wonder how that does. And I am very skeptical of the zipper closures. I spent most of my life working in outdoor specialty retail, manufacturing, and as sales representative. In all those years I came to realize that zippers have one goal in life and that is to fail! They especially don’t like going around corners.

And no window behind the cab? I still like to look at my rear view when some one is on my tail.

I do lust over the slide out propane drawer though! I always come away bloody dealing with mine. Does FWC hone the edges on that thing!?

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#15 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 January 2023 - 07:18 PM

+1 on the lack of cab window. Some view is better than none, especially when I'm back the boat down the launch ramp.

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 January 2023 - 07:43 PM

+1 on the lack of cab window. Some view is better than none, especially when I'm back the boat down the launch ramp.

I removed the front window on my Puma build, and have been using a dash cam with front and rear cameras for years. MUCH better visibility than through 3 sometimes dirty windows

#17 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 12:23 AM

I removed the front window on my Puma build, and have been using a dash cam with front and rear cameras for years. MUCH better visibility than through 3 sometimes dirty windows

Cams may be in my future, but for now I like the windows I can see cars behind me, the bikes on the back and when I launch the boat, I open the camper door for a bigger view. I tried using my back up camera for boat launch but it was like cutting my own hair in the mirror. I'm sure with a better and higher mounted camera and some practice it is a superior set up. 

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 January 2023 - 01:14 AM

yah, the truck's backup cam is now bumper mounted, and the dash cam is above the back door of the camper, and so I get two very different perspectives.  That said, sometimes it does feel like cutting my own hair in a mirror!  :D

#19 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:23 PM

The lack of drawers and storage in the galley area is my concern. Is the under bed storage insulated so it won't sweat during hot/cold weather changes? Damp clothing/blankets would not be a good thing. Lack of a mechanical backup for the raising/lowering struts could be a problem. And why not locate the switch for it near the entry so you don't have to fully enter to actuate. After being a tent guy for decades, he makes a good point about the zippers.

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 January 2023 - 04:36 PM

monte, how did you layout the seating for your camper?  i cant remember. i have not finished my rear seating yet, and plan on tackling it this spring.. i have the table support situated.

I built a simple side dinette with storage under the seats. It also has a solid fixed in place table. We had a lagun mount. It did not hold up to long term use. Information about what I built can be found here and also on our blog under "Our ATC Camper."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users