• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Recycledon

Recycledon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 08:14 PM

Hey all!  I'm trying to trouble shoot a battery issue with our 2018 4 wheel swift camper and wanted some expert advice.  We have a solar setup and its been outside under the sun when we're not using the camper.  I went to get the camper setup for some winter camping and when I turned on the furnace the fan came on, but the igniter didn't start.  When I cranked up my truck and turned on the furnace again the igniter came on and the furnace warmed up.  When the truck is running the furnace works.  I can turn the truck off for 10-15min and it will continue to heat, but after 15min the igniter stops working and I have to start the truck again.

Any thoughts on what the issue is?  I think my battery might be slowly dying, but I don't a way to check it. 

Also, if I'm not using the camper should I take the batter out and keep it charged with a battery charger?

One last thing, should I get a volt meter to test the battery charge?

Thanks!

Donny

Eugene, OR 

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 January 2023 - 08:52 PM

Read the threads on the furnace sail switch. It sounds like maybe your camper battery voltage is low enough that the furnace fan can’t actuate the sail switch. There are a few possible solutions that are covered well in existing threads.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 18 January 2023 - 02:23 AM

For sure you should check to voltage of the battery as a starting point. 

What type of battery do you have?

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 January 2023 - 02:09 PM

Donny, regarding the digital multimeter, yes get one.  They’re not expensive, and they have a reputation for saving one’s bacon, it’s an important member of the toolbox.

I am haunted by waters

#5 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 18 January 2023 - 03:28 PM

Yes, I agree on checking your battery. May be time for a replacement. You could remove the battery and take it to a repair shop, or most auto parts stores can check it for you, in most cases it should be a no charge to check the battery condition. If the battery is the same age of your camper, it may need to be changed out.

#6 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 18 January 2023 - 04:36 PM

Provided your battery is lead acid type, remember to not only look at the volts but also test it under load. This will tell you if it needs to be replaced. Great idea taking it to the auto parts store! If indeed the battery is lead acid, then every time the battery falls below 50% SOC it drastically shortens the lifespan. 

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 January 2023 - 05:10 PM

And maybe more importantly, get a Victron shunt style battery monitor so your next battery can be monitored and kept healthy.

#8 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 18 January 2023 - 07:24 PM

And maybe more importantly, get a Victron shunt style battery monitor so your next battery can be monitored and kept healthy.

Absolutely, I could not agree more! I personally put this off for way too long, trying every work around I could to avoid installing the shunt. Now with it installed I have had no issues because I always know exactly where I stand with my battery bank. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users