I am haunted by waters

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:21 PM

I use this grinder... it fits into my Aeropress and I like a superfine grind, so this is perfect

Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder : Amazon.ca: Home

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 January 2023 - 11:56 PM

We need to wake up close to all you coffee nerds some morning. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 01:00 AM

We need to wake up close to all you coffee nerds some morning. :)

Coffee can be a lot like beer or wine.  Once you really get into it, the "regular" stuff most people drink (aka Starbucks) is no longer good enough.  I get my coffee from a local roaster who imports direct from the farmers, so, estate based coffee.  That means the varietal of the bean, the terroir of where it is grown, the weather that year, how it is washed/dried etc all become factors in how it tastes even before it is lightly roasted.  

And these might be fighting words for some:  If you like dark roast, forget all that.  As I read on a coffee website yesterday, Italian espresso roast is basically the crappiest bean you can find burnt until it makes no difference what you started with.  

Edited by Vic Harder, 24 January 2023 - 01:00 AM.

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 January 2023 - 01:26 AM

...........we are solidly and happily Peetniks. :)

as in "Friends don't let friends go to Starbucks." :) Herb Caen quote, by the way.

We can handle ourselves in a fight. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 January 2023 - 02:05 AM

...........we are solidly and happily Peetniks. :)

as in "Friends don't let friends go to Starbucks." :) Herb Caen quote, by the way.

We can handle ourselves in a fight. :)

We have come a long way from cowboy coffee from many years (decades) ago. We also were Peetniks before starting to roasting our own. However, when in Pahrump years ago, we were compelled to go to starbucks, sad to say. Crap coffee is better than no coffee!

We are happy to share with anyone in the vicinity -- but we tend to camp in the loneliest places! :) 

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 02:15 AM

Crap coffee is better than no coffee!

We are happy to share with anyone in the vicinity -- but we tend to camp in the loneliest places! :) 

Well, then you might bump into Monte and Julie   :P

As for crap coffee is better than none, nope... I'll pass.  Can't drink Coors or Baby Duck either!!!!

#18 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 January 2023 - 02:16 AM

Coffee can be a lot like beer or wine.  Once you really get into it, the "regular" stuff most people drink (aka Starbucks) is no longer good enough. 

If you like dark roast, forget all that.  As I read on a coffee website yesterday, Italian espresso roast is basically the crappiest bean you can find burnt until it makes no difference what you started with.  

Vic, you are right about Italian Roasts, overcooked for sure, but the art for us is to stop the roast well before that -- it is dark, but oily and has a great nose as well as a fine complex palate! Our favorite beans are Yemen, some Ethiopians and some Guatemalans. In that order.

I ignore most of what coffee writers have to say. But I have been roasting for close to 20 years and don't heed much of what the critics opine about.

We would not want to fight, but would happily do a brew-off sometime in the back of beyond, should the opportunity arise.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 02:18 AM

We would not want to fight, but would happily do a brew-off sometime in the back of beyond, should the opportunity arise.

Yer on!  

I like Phil & Sebastian's... Coffee (philsebastian.com)

#20 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 January 2023 - 02:19 AM

Well, then you might bump into Monte and Julie   :P

As for crap coffee is better than none, nope... I'll pass.  Can't drink Coors or Baby Duck either!!!!

Vic, what is the 'Coors' you refer to? Is it some kind of Kool-Aid or vitamin drink?

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users