18 replies to this topic

#1 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 24 January 2023 - 05:25 AM

I hope this isn’t a controversial topic, as I see it is on truck fora.

For our heavy-on-rear truck campers, how do you rotate tires? I’m stuck in decades old paradigm of swapping front and rear on the same side. Finally looked into it, better late then never, and discover diagonal methods are used. We have 40,000 miles on our tires, so I’ll probably continue the non diagonal rotation until we get new tires.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 January 2023 - 01:28 PM

I’ve trusted Les Schwab to do that job for nearly the last 40 years.  To be truthful, I haven’t paid much attention to their methodology.

I am haunted by waters

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 January 2023 - 03:19 PM

Midway through the life of our last set of tires we changed our rotation pattern to rear to the front same side and front to rear swapping sides. I do not have enough long term data about the effect on tire wear. The tire dealer said crossing patterns are good.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 03:37 PM

I always rotate front to rear and swap left to right when remounting the rears. Having said that I believe a lot of people rotate more often than needed. I rotate/balance tires every15- 20k miles on my vehicles unless I see abnormal wear. and in that case i'll repair what ever is causing that abnormal wear, then rotate. My truck tires will probably only get rotated once or twice since they will "age out" and Discount Tire will refuse to work on them. Note: check tire pressure often, especially after any big temp changes.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:42 PM

I always rotate front to rear and swap left to right when remounting the rears. Having said that I believe a lot of people rotate more often than needed. I rotate/balance tires every15- 20k miles on my vehicles unless I see abnormal wear. and in that case i'll repair what ever is causing that abnormal wear, then rotate. My truck tires will probably only get rotated once or twice since they will "age out" and Discount Tire will refuse to work on them. Note: check tire pressure often, especially after any big temp changes.

Bingo on checking tire pressure. It is on the check list before every trip.

We live in mountains and regularly drive mountain roads. Our long time local tire dealer recommends rotation every 3000 to 3500 miles. We rotate every 5000.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:44 PM

This is a great discussion. Tires are important AND expensive. Keeping up with tire pressures is easy.

The crux of different exchange patterns  ( apart from suspension wear issues etc. ) may be whether or not your tires themselves can change direction of rotation ....We have almost always run Michellins and they do not like to change rotation of the tire itself after the first say 5K miles. 

This limits us to front back/back same side pattern.

David Graves

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:50 PM

Whatever America's Tire does, I haven't really paid attention. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:58 PM

This is a great discussion. Tires are important AND expensive. Keeping up with tire pressures is easy.

The crux of different exchange patterns  ( apart from suspension wear issues etc. ) may be whether or not your tires themselves can change direction of rotation ....We have almost always run Michellins and they do not like to change rotation of the tire itself after the first say 5K miles. 

This limits us to front back/back same side pattern.

David Graves

Thanks for adding this. I was told our Cooper tires can be crossed.

#9 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:03 AM

Ah, I see that Toyota recommends keeping tires on the same side (front to back only).

We have BF Goodrich KO2 tires, and (at least Canadian) Goodrich recommends crossing, but states:

"However, check your owner's manual to see if there is a recommended rotation scheme."

We do put a lot of weight on the rear tires, but perhaps that's not relevant to tire rotation.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#10 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 25 January 2023 - 02:44 PM

Good question.. whatever Ford dealer does? So far it works great.. 20k on BFG KO2 and they look brand new to me... probably rotated more like every 6500 dish miles.. (truck only gets 10k per year, mostly a recreational vehicle at this point)

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users