- - - - -

Tire tread depth for replacement

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:59 PM

I'm curious at what tread depth you all start thinking about replacing your tires.  I am still on the original OEM Goodyears and the front tires are both down to 6/32.  I believe the wear bars are at 2/32.  However, for off-road safety and traction, especially with a heavy FWC, I want to err on the side of caution, so I am starting to get "itchy".

Tire tread depth (640).jpg

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:26 PM

Spider sense is good.  If you’re heading into nasty terrain, it might be time to replace.

I am haunted by waters

#3 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 January 2023 - 06:50 PM

On most tire depth charts 6 is at the bottom of safe/usable. 5 is at the top of cautionary. Only you can be the judge and interpreter.

Safe travels
Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:34 PM

Not mentioned is age of tires....is there any guidance based on factual not sales for how long you should continue to use tires even if the tread depth is still "safe/usable"?

I realize a lot of variables such as use, storage, air pressure and weight carried....unless you see sidewall deterioration what is the lifetime of for example the "E" Coopers on my Tundra/Hawk combo?

Thanks.... 

Edited by Wallowa, 01 February 2023 - 02:29 AM.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 January 2023 - 10:09 PM

How long is safe is good question. I had Jeep tires that were ten years old. Still looked great since I put very few miles on the Jeep. I needed a flat repair and they refused. Too old they said. I hated to do it but I bought new tires. I thought about a blow out and if something bad happened I'd be going "should have spent the money on new tires". 

Not a problem on the truck. I have no problem wearing tires out before they get old :)

I'll go further in the summer than I will in the winter but its still a judgement call. I don't go by a tread gauge but I don't try and squeeze out that last 5k either.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 31 January 2023 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the comments - they are in line with what I have been thinking.  Given our use of the truck (typically remote and solo), I will likely go ahead and replace them now rather than try and get a few more miles on them.

-Scott

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:10 AM

Good call. We figure we have about one more long trip with ours before replacing -- even though the service folks say they are fine.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:15 AM

Alas like everything in life..it always comes down to "assumption of risk".. I changed the timing belt [and water pump] on our '05 Tundra with only 60K miles...interference motor would self-digest if belt broke...of course entire rig and worse could be lost if tires go at speed or the 'wrong time'... 

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:37 PM

On my old truck, I had a blowout and I mean instant complete disintegration of the tire. It was on a nice straight stretch of 395 and I've often thought I might not be here if it had happened on a turn. I ditched the truck and the heavy camper after that. I give overloaded trucks a wide berth. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:00 PM

On my old truck, I had a blowout and I mean instant complete disintegration of the tire. It was on a nice straight stretch of 395 and I've often thought I might not be here if it had happened on a turn. I ditched the truck and the heavy camper after that. I give overloaded trucks a wide berth. 

begs the question:  What tires, what pressure, what temp, what load and what speed.  In decades of driving I have never 'disintegrated' a tire....a tire going flat and still "at speed" for sufficient time, will tear up the sidewalls....only tires that I personally seem 'come apart' were back in 50-60s and they were retreads...doubt any passenger car tires are now retreaded...also saw 'regroved' tires, cut new groves into bald tires, yup, olden days...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users