- - - - -

Possible Suburban Propane Stove Recall

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 02 February 2023 - 06:59 PM

Stan Kennedy from FWC, just posted this on the FWC Users Facebook Group:

Four Wheel Campers has been contacted by Suburban Manf. about a possible recall on their Flush Mount (glass top) 2 burner propane RV stove. We are in discussions with them and are awaiting further information on what actions they would like us to take, if any. And what stoves we have bought from them, if any, are affected. More information to come as they make it available to us. We are in a holding pattern until they give us official instructions. We can't send out any notices to our customers until they give us further instructions. Thank you for your understanding.

Here is a link to the recall notice:

https://static.nhtsa...23E002-3195.PDF

I think our 2020 Grandby was one of the first to have this stove.  So, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens...

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 02 February 2023 - 07:28 PM

The affected model is the SDS2, which is the one used my 2021 Grandby. The production date range is Jan 2018 to Jan 2023, and the number of affected units is “all.” The issue is road vibration related fatigue of a gas tube, so those with a lot of bumpy time on their camper may want to read the linked bulletin above and decide if they should do a visual inspection before the expected March notifications come out.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2023 - 01:45 AM

Thanks. I will look.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:00 PM

There is a member of WTW who had an explosion in his trailer because of a Suburban stove, take this warning seriously.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 February 2023 - 06:51 PM

There is a member of WTW who had an explosion in his trailer because of a Suburban stove, take this warning seriously.

Can you elaborate on why/how it created an explosion?  Extent of explosion? 

I read the NHTSA description of suspected cause but it did not make much sense to me why this would be limited to only this model of the stove.

Edited by Wallowa, 03 February 2023 - 06:54 PM.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 08:04 PM

Phil, there was a previous thread on this within the last 6 months, but I don’t have a link to it.  I’m going to wait for the member to provide that feedback, but I believe a Google search will find that post.

I am haunted by waters

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 February 2023 - 08:23 PM

Phil, there was a previous thread on this within the last 6 months, but I don’t have a link to it.  I’m going to wait for the member to provide that feedback, but I believe a Google search will find that post.

Thanks...will look it up...I missed it the first time it came around...

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 08:33 PM

Thanks...will look it up...I missed it the first time it came around...

I looked for the link and couldn’t find it.   IIRC, there were some minor(?) burns involved, cabinet doors blown open, and things of that nature.  My assumption was lighting the stove was the tipping point.

Regardless, it’s a scary event.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 February 2023 - 12:03 AM

This is a scary recall folks.  I had a flush mount stove at one stage of my build, and took it out because it "leaked".  I could smell it, and the smell was there regardless of the stove being on or not.  As I read the recall, the propane supply tubes get brittle and crack.  The cause is purported to be "Vibration" vs bad welds.  Bending aluminum is a sure way to weaken it, so I can see that.  

Point being, (again, as I read the recall notice) simply opening your propane valve at the propane tank will put pressure in the compromised lines and will leak into your camper, even if you are not using your stove!  

Edited by Vic Harder, 04 February 2023 - 12:04 AM.

#10 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 February 2023 - 03:02 AM

Hi Vic. As I read it they are saying the problem tubes are downstream of the burner control knob valves, so the leak potential is when you turn the stove on. Here’s a paste from the notice as best I could do it on my phone:

Description of the Safety Risk :
The burner tube could crack resulting a leak of propane when the top burner gas valve is opened to use the appliance. If ignited the propane could result in a fire and/or explosion which could result in personal injury.
Description of the Cause :
Identification of Any Warning that can Occur :
The gas manifold at the control knobs can become loose over time due to excessive vibration. With excessive viration the the burner tubes can fail. Lab analysis of failed burner tubes indicate hardening of the aluminum burner tubes likely caused by repeated impact or the excessive vibration.
FMVSS 1 :
NR NR
The owner could possibly hear a louder than normal hissing sound or smell propane odor when the cooktop gas valve is turned to the "on"

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users