• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:39 AM

Thank you for linking that thread Jon R. I'm wishing I opted for the second fan forward instead of the standard vent. I fear I'm now doomed the the aforementioned Bungee to secure my lid.

#12 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 06 February 2023 - 02:15 PM

In the older thread, I reported that my accidental shift to the domed version of the lid solved the problem. Can verify roughly 15000 miles later that we’re still good. I can only guess that it changes the wind dynamics. Technically, the dome is not a direct replacement for the flat, but I did a straight swap. There’s a slight catch as it closes, but then it lines up and all is well.

If yours opened at low speed, I would guess that the teeth on the cheap metal lifting mechanism are worn smooth from the vibration and opening. Customer service sent me a free kit to replace the part. When that one failed as well I shifted to the dome.

Good luck.
Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#13 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:18 PM

In the older thread, I reported that my accidental shift to the domed version of the lid solved the problem. Can verify roughly 15000 miles later that we’re still good. I can only guess that it changes the wind dynamics. Technically, the dome is not a direct replacement for the flat, but I did a straight swap. There’s a slight catch as it closes, but then it lines up and all is well.

If yours opened at low speed, I would guess that the teeth on the cheap metal lifting mechanism are worn smooth from the vibration and opening. Customer service sent me a free kit to replace the part. When that one failed as well I shifted to the dome.

Good luck.

Thank you. It looks like we will have a break in the rain this week and I can get up there and do a full inspection. It would be great if I could just replace some parts. I currently have the dome version lid. At first I thought it may be lifting due to the "wing effect" at high speeds and long distance. After yesterdays lift on such a short drive and max speed of 40 mph, I'm thinking stripped parts.

#14 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 06 February 2023 - 04:20 PM

Yeah you are probably right. It’d be interesting to try pulling it up from above your camper.

So how would a bungee work? Isn’t there a screen? I’m not sure what you would grasp.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 February 2023 - 04:42 PM

Never happened to me on either of my vents.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:30 PM

Yeah you are probably right. It’d be interesting to try pulling it up from above your camper.
So how would a bungee work? Isn’t there a screen? I’m not sure what you would grasp.

If mine had not healed, I was going to put a small glued anchor on the interior of the plastic vent cap and run a piece of monofilament through the screen and have a doohickey on the end that would hook to something on the interior trim of the fan housing. I think that would be enough to keep it down.
Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#17 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:43 PM

We had that problem occasionally on our previous van's Fantastic Vent.... a manually-operated model. 

My wife just reminded me that we used one of those mini-bungies with light wire hooks.  The tops of the knob arms were hollow.  I drilled a hole in the end of one of the arms to put the hook into (from the back side of the hole).  Later, we realized we didn't need the hole.  Just hooking into the hollow of the arm worked fine as the hook would go to a corner and tension would keep it there.

I can't remember how I attached the other end of the mini-bungie.  I'm guessing I just unscrewed a screw on the screen enough to put the hook under and screwed it back down.  I probably bent the U of the hook on that end into a circle.

In thinking about this today, I couldn't remember the mini-bungie ever hanging down.  And then I realized that was because we'd unhook the hook, change the knob setting, and put the hook back on a knob arm.

Edited by Old Crow, 07 February 2023 - 02:07 AM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#18 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 06 February 2023 - 08:53 PM

On the fantastic fans, there is a little plastic hook on the edge of the interior trim ring which does not appear to have a purpose. I was told it is to secure the crank handle and prevent the vent from opening during transport of camper/trailer when new. I think i got that from the guys at FWC Jackson. Maybe it was just what they did as a fix when transporting units from the factory.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#19 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 07 February 2023 - 01:20 AM

I found the culprit, and ruled out the poltergeist! It is the little grey box attached in the photo. Since day one the vent has been temperamental with opening or closing. It only opened all the way up 3 times or so and now only opens maybe half way. We have lived with that, but now the self opening means that this system needs to be repaired or go all together. What ever gearing inside the box is stripped.

Can I just replace the little grey box? If so, are these prone to failure and I will have to deal with this again?

Should I just replace the whole enchilada with a fan like I have aft? If so is this an big undertaking to remove the goop from the old vent, and does the fan unit fit in the same hole? I notice that FWC has already ran two wires to the location.

As this unit is only and the camper are only 6 months old, should I seek compensation in some way from FWC?

For now I removed the screen and zip tied the unit closed to prevent any unwanted water from soaking the bunk.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2290.jpg

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 07 February 2023 - 01:21 AM.

#20 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 07 February 2023 - 05:21 AM

Definitely chat with FWC. Maybe they'll replace it? You never know. We had an issue that our dealer fixed it gratis (delam of some cabinetry edges), and that was about six months in.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users