12 replies to this topic

#1 Maddogs

Maddogs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSouthcentral WA

Posted 13 February 2023 - 10:26 PM

I have a '23 Hawk SHELL model on order, it has propane heater and stove option but nothing else. I didn't realize that it has no shore power like the more dressed out models and I thinking I will need to connect to shore power to keep batteries maintained over long winter storage periods when the motor won't be running and the solar won't be getting any sun.     The camper will have the dual 6V AGM batteries so won't be needing one of the outer vents for  outgassing and I understand from other topics here I can use a shore power plug in that spot.

From that point however I don't know what exact parts or steps I need to do to get things hooked up to the existing system to charge the batteries.   I am fairly technically oriented and know how to run and terminate wiring in general, just not sure what connection or components I need.   Probably a convertor?  It would be nice to be able to power the interior accessories while hooked to shore power also but that is 2nd priority to keeping the batteries maintained during storage.

Thanks for any pointers y'all can provide.

'23 Hawk shell on  '23 Tundra Limited

#2 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 14 February 2023 - 03:25 AM

You could get a portable AC-DC converter designed for your AGM batteries, and just use an extension cord. Ours came with a built-in Iota DLS30/IQ4 charger, which uses about 400W (outputting 30 amps, 12+ volts). These comments coming from a lazy cheapskate! See if you can run an extension cord on the bottom of your door? Maybe it'll get pinched too much.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:22 AM

If you only need to use AC power for maintaining charge during storage, why not just use a small battery maintainer alligator clipped to the battery terminals? Run the cord in through one of the turnbuckle doors.

I don’t think you want to replace one of your battery compartment vents with a connector if you have AGMs. They still have the potential to vent gas.

Just for a data point, I have solar panels and charging from the truck. I’ve had my camper two years and have not used my shore power charger for anything other than testing it. I’ve never used it camping.

My camper’s Iota shore power charger doesn’t charger my lithium battery adequately, so the couple of times I’ve wanted to charge the battery in the winter I’ve just used a 10 amp Noco Genius portable charger.

Edited by Jon R, 14 February 2023 - 04:33 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 February 2023 - 03:08 PM

I have a 2020 Hawk Shell and I do the extension cord thing. I run it through the back and through a turnbuckle door. I took a piece of heavy closed cell foam and cut it to the door opening, cut a slit in the center to slide the cord through aa d that keeps critters, cold and heat out. I have used it in camp grounds with electricity to run my rigged up Air conditioner and a small electric heater in the winter to save propane. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 9A5F55C5-06D9-4E17-8BA0-18F2DCAB7F75.jpeg

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#5 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 February 2023 - 03:32 PM

I replaced one of the battery vents with a plug. See link below. Then externally plug an extension chord into the side of the camper. On the inside I use a household surge protector to plug a common automotive battery charger into. This way all the doors and windows can remain closed and locked. That said, I rarely plug into A/C.

Picture of the camper plugged in - for heat - on a very cold night in Nevada last month.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Thumbnails

• 20230111_205633.jpg

Edited by astropuppy, 14 February 2023 - 03:45 PM.

#6 Maddogs

Maddogs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSouthcentral WA

Posted 14 February 2023 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for all the responses.   I see the point and simplicity of just using an extension cord into the camper by some means and then plug either an automotive or specialized charger into that.   I was a little concerned about connecting the charger just directly to the battery terminals in that it might burn something out upstream.    I assume I would use the kill switch to isolate that stuff.     Since I will be using a dual 6v battery setup, would I need to connect the charger to both sets of batteries or just one?  

'23 Hawk shell on  '23 Tundra Limited

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for all the responses.   I see the point and simplicity of just using an extension cord into the camper by some means and then plug either an automotive or specialized charger into that.   I was a little concerned about connecting the charger just directly to the battery terminals in that it might burn something out upstream.    I assume I would use the kill switch to isolate that stuff.     Since I will be using a dual 6v battery setup, would I need to connect the charger to both sets of batteries or just one?  

+1 vote for a NOCO Genius.  Even with two 6 volt batteries, you still only have one SET of batteries.  You would leave those as is and clip the charger to the -ve post on one of the 6V batteries, and the +ve clip to the +ve post of the other 6V battery.  No need to disconnect using the kill switch.

#8 Sagebrusher

Sagebrusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSagebrush country, USA

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:43 PM

I agree with comments above and would also run a cord into a battery maintainer if that's all you will ever want to use shore power for.  Do the simplest thing that works for your needs. I installed a DIY 120v setup and we like it for precooling the fridge before a trip and for running a vacuum or power tools inside sometimes, as well as charging and maintaining the battery. We got the Iota 30 amp charger and a small 120v breaker panel for 3 circuits. Details for our setup are here:  https://sites.google...x3YoR6Ug/edit  

It is really a trade-off, a little extra work and expense up front for a little convenience later. Good luck and enjoy your rig! 

2019 Four Wheel Camper Hawk Shell mod on 2018 F150

https://sites.google...gebrushers/home

https://www.youtube....8qMF7m_uaV0F-Dg

#9 Sagebrusher

Sagebrusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSagebrush country, USA

Posted 14 February 2023 - 08:56 PM

So sorry for the multiple posts.  Didn't seem to be posting. And the link was bad to boot. Here is a better one:  https://sites.google...er-mods/120v-ac

2019 Four Wheel Camper Hawk Shell mod on 2018 F150

https://sites.google...gebrushers/home

https://www.youtube....8qMF7m_uaV0F-Dg

#10 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 15 February 2023 - 04:06 PM

+1 vote for a NOCO Genius.  Even with two 6 volt batteries, you still only have one SET of batteries.  You would leave those as is and clip the charger to the -ve post on one of the 6V batteries, and the +ve clip to the +ve post of the other 6V battery.  No need to disconnect using the kill switch.

I have a SAE ring terminal connector permanently attached to the battery. Makes plugging in a charger painless, even in the dark. Bonus is its fused.  https://www.amazon.c...al cable&sr=8-4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk, convertor, shore power, fwc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users