• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrispy

chrispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 07:13 PM

I need to take my camper off and leave it in an area that is certainly safe, but not perfectly safe and I am maybe overly attached to my camper... I fear someone backing in their truck, strapping it down, and taking off.

I've thought about removing the jack stands and putting a padlock (or two) through the bolt attach points, but it's a pretty small hole and therefore a more cuttable lock (and I like the stability of leaving the jacks on). 

How are people making their campers impossible to load onto someone elses truck?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:29 PM

Hi chrispy, welcome to WTW.

I certainly understand your attachment to your camper, and your desire to keep it safe.  While a stolen camper isn’t unheard of, it’s somewhat rare.  Removing the jacks, with support underneath is a good idea.  Maybe parking something to block access, too.

One thing to be certain of is that your camper is insured when off your truck.  Some insurers may not cover the camper when off the truck and not on your own property.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 21 February 2023 - 09:02 PM

How long will it be off the truck, and is this going to be something you do repeatedly?

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 chrispy

chrispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:21 PM

Great advice on insurance!

I would expect it to be removed for a month or two at a time, so on and off maybe 6 times a year.

Glad to hear this is not a very common thing

#5 OrangeCurtain

OrangeCurtain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationThe big OC

Posted 31 March 2023 - 03:24 AM

I ran into a similar concern keeping my Hawk stored at my winter cabin in the desert. I settled on storing it with jacks on, but on a plywood platform, with a Ring motion alarm/spotlight camera pointed at the camper. Anything gets close, the light goes off, and I get a notification on my phone. If you have WiFi this is a great deterrent. A thief would need the Reico jack handles or a drill+ adapter, and in the time it takes, you will know someone is there and trip the alarm.

Heck, you could modify a residential break beam door sensor and attach it to the door on the camper. 

Also, Home Depot and Amazon sell a solar powered motion detector light that wedges perfectly in between the roof and cabover section for additional security. 

Finally, nothing gives peace of mind like insurance with a theft endorsement and a low deductible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users