Posted 24 February 2023 - 07:42 PM

saxo8sa537ja1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

#4 mopwater

mopwater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 07:46 PM

So this came off a Tacoma. We managed to force it into the bed by wedging all but the back in, then we both got inside and slid it down. When I got home and measured it had spread the bed of the truck out an inch. The tailgate opening has some "hips" in the bodywork that are about 50" if I remember right. These happen to line up EXACTLY in front of the wide rear box on the door side. 

After taking it back off, removed the front wall bumpers and replaced with very thin ones made from spare linoleum built up to shore it up to the cab. Then measured carefully and routed out grooves in the aforementioned location of the hips, just in front of the rear width box. It snugs up perfectly to these, the front of the bed, and to the edge of the tailgate. Got lucky. Had to remove a little bit of the hardware around the tailgate too to minimize the routing. 

So, this might be the only one of its kind out there and there are reasons for that! Haha. With the exception that ATC has made a shorter shell for one already. That's probably the best idea but I figured I'd chance this one. The Axle COG isn't great but it's been fine with a Hellwig and Air Lift. I'd love to raise the rear a little more though. It's not nearly as saggy as the first picture suggests, maybe 1" different on flat ground. 

I didn't like the built in fridge since I'll be boondocking and running starlink, I have 550 Ah of lithium in it, new DCDC, etc. so I replaced it with a CFX3 that sips power. 

Edited by mopwater, 24 February 2023 - 07:49 PM.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 February 2023 - 10:07 PM

Welcome to the cult.

I have been waiting for someone to post pictures of

a setup like yours.

Looks great and as also a Bobcat owner ,you will enjoy your time out and about

with that camper.

Post more photos as you have time.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 February 2023 - 10:09 PM

Yes, congrats on your new camper! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 mopwater

mopwater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 03:53 PM

Thank you!

Unfortunately my phone camera has succumbed to motorcycle vibrations so all I can take with it is wide angle…need to go retrieve DSLR from parents’ house unless I want to keep going on Polaroids only!

Currently spending a weekend in Eastern Kentucky. Had big plans to ride some gravel on bikes and explore FS roads in the Jeep but weather is horrid. Gives me an opportunity to enjoy the luxury an RTT could never stand up to in the bad weather.

Edited by mopwater, 25 February 2023 - 03:55 PM.

#8 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 01 May 2023 - 02:46 PM

Any issues with the tailgate while the camper is on the truck?  

(ATC recommends taking the tailgate off.)

I'm wondering if I can leave my tailgate on as my camper will stick out  less than yours does in the pics.

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#9 mopwater

mopwater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 08:08 PM

Its been fine, id rather have it off myself but need to check with them first.

Its not bearing any weight. I have plywood and rubber mat under the main part in the bed but not under the tailgate so there is a gap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users