9 replies to this topic

#1 Regulator23

Regulator23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDavie, FL and Mountain Rest, SC

Posted 01 March 2023 - 02:09 PM

I have the Grandby, front dinette with the king bed option.  Has anyone removed/replaced the black board that is used to help lift and lower the roof?  It hangs down 4 or 5 inches at the front and I’ve already banged into a few times.  It seems like I could use a pull knob and fastener (like what is in the rear) to secure it and maybe a removable pole with a hook to assist me in raising and lowering the roof.  Hopefully someone has thought through this and can give some thoughts.  Thank you.

2018 Grandby, Front Dinette
2011 Ford F350, Diesel, 8’ bed

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 March 2023 - 02:22 PM

If you remove the push board, it’s going to make raising the front difficult.  I believe you would have to be up on the bed to push and lock the lift boards in place.  

I am haunted by waters

#3 Big Al

Big Al

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 04:51 PM

I have seen a post from someone who replaced the black "push" board with some sort of aluminum (I think it was) tubing,  As I recall  it had a hook on one end that was placed into some kind of eye that he had installed so that he could push and pull to lock and unlock the board.  

I'm sorry, but I was unable to locate that post agin.  I don't recall what forum it was on.  I know that it was within the past couple of years but I know how little help that is.  

So I know that at least one person has done it, but I'm no help in finding it again.  

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 01 March 2023 - 07:14 PM

Could you remove the stock push/pull board with a pipe floor flange and threaded piece of pipe? Then simply unscrew the pipe and set it a side while the roof is in the up position? 

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:31 PM

Cool ideas. I’ve just been living with it but now I’m inspired to try to come up with something removable. Aside from clearing the bed obstruction, I like the idea of not having to climb in to snap up the front board after lowering the rear and closing the latches.

I’ll post if I come up with something I think will work well. I think Ted is right that you want whatever it is to stay attached except when the roof is up. That way it’s ready to push when you go to raise the roof. I’ll explore cheap pvc pipe ideas first.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 March 2023 - 11:19 PM

I like the way ATC does their front lift, note the end is at ceiling level.  You might be able to raise the board on your FWC.

F963AD2A-8A88-4163-9EB8-E2182D8A8096.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 March 2023 - 11:32 PM

I've always liked the push rod on my ATC Bobcat.
It's simple and does the job.Doesn't hang down.

You probably make a similar type.

Use WS's photo as a template.

Plus with this wire style you can attach some screening

to it and have a very convenient "shelf".

I have done that and it's great. 

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Sagebrusher

Sagebrusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSagebrush country, USA

Posted 02 March 2023 - 07:36 PM

I replaced the black board with a 1" aluminum square tube with a strap hinge on one end and a light "hardware" handle on the other. The strap hinge gets the tube it up higher than the factory hinge/board so it is very close to the ceiling and the tube is much lighter and less painful if you hit your head. Handle attaches with two angle brackets and the ends of the handle/angle brackets fit inside 1/2" rubber leg tips to further protect your noggin.

I know there are similar DIY solutions somewhere but this works great for us and the handle end only hangs down about 1.5 inches using the existing strap/snap. Hope this is helpful. 

Pull bar.JPG

Edited by Sagebrusher, 02 March 2023 - 11:19 PM.

2019 Four Wheel Camper Hawk Shell mod on 2018 F150

https://sites.google...gebrushers/home

https://www.youtube....8qMF7m_uaV0F-Dg

#9 Regulator23

Regulator23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDavie, FL and Mountain Rest, SC

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I did something that I’m happy with.  Tried to upload pix but I guess the files are too big.  Anyway, I removed the board that was installed.  I left the plastic hinged bracket and bolted to it (I used a 2 hole service cable strap (size is 3#3-3#2 from Home Depot) and the threaded piece of a paint roller (cut down to about 2 inches).  I now use a 4’ paint roller extension stick which lays down next to the bed cushions.  It is way sturdy enough to help me push the roof up and it is not in the way at all when not being used.  I added a snap strap (like in the rear of the camper) to secure the plastic hinge when it’s folded up.  All in, 10 bucks.

2018 Grandby, Front Dinette
2011 Ford F350, Diesel, 8’ bed

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 March 2023 - 07:35 PM

FYI...at least on our '16 Hawk the centered longitudinal board that attaches to the front panels is not supposed to be used to push/lift the front of the top up...the horizontal board across the roof just aft of that 'push/pull' board is where we are supposed to push up to lift the front section of the roof...then once mostly in place you can push on the long board to seat the front panels...of course the really value of that long board is to initiate the collapse of the front of the roof when dropping the top..

I could be wrong; but that is the manner in which we raise the front of the top...

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users