9 replies to this topic

#1 Regulator23

Regulator23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDavie, FL and Mountain Rest, SC

Posted 06 March 2023 - 02:23 AM

Hi, I only found a thread that was 2 years old and thought there might be updated information.  Which foldable panel is the best value?  The FWC site only sells the Bugout 130W and it’s $595.  Hopefully there are other options.  Let me know what you have.  My Grandby has the SAE plug on the rear so I would need that type of connection.  I have a 160W on the roof and for the most part it’s sufficient, but I’d like to have a backup source.  Thank you.

2018 Grandby, Front Dinette
2011 Ford F350, Diesel, 8’ bed

#2 strayDog

strayDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Calif

Posted 06 March 2023 - 02:57 AM

If you can get one that doesn't shut down if it's exposed to ANY small amount of shade.

Edited by strayDog, 06 March 2023 - 03:02 AM.

#3 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 06 March 2023 - 05:19 AM

I recently got a flexible panel from Rich Solar (100W). It's only been tried at home. But I got extension cords that will reach the windshield and the top of the camper. For the top, I can place it with the camper down, then lift the popup. It won't slide forward because of the roof vent, Then I'd tie cords from grommets in each corner to either the latches or jack mounts. But... only tested this idea at home!

So instead of (or in addition to) our Zamp 22 lb folding panel, we'll use this 5 lb flexible panel. It was about $150. Our camper has a new solar charge controller inside, so we don't need one on the panel itself.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 March 2023 - 06:40 AM

Hi, I only found a thread that was 2 years old and thought there might be updated information.  Which foldable panel is the best value?  The FWC site only sells the Bugout 130W and it’s $595.  Hopefully there are other options.  Let me know what you have.  My Grandby has the SAE plug on the rear so I would need that type of connection.  I have a 160W on the roof and for the most part it’s sufficient, but I’d like to have a backup source.  Thank you.

Search for “adapter sae 2 pin to mc4”

you will find several short cables that will adapt the more or less standard MC4 connector on solar panels to the SAE 2 pin connector on the rear of your FWC camper. Enables some additional options for adding solar panels. There are other adapters that support the Anderson Powerpole connectors used on other solar panels

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 06 March 2023 - 03:09 PM

Follow through and know on the back solar input which one is positive and negative and match your portable panel plug to match.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 March 2023 - 07:54 PM

"Best value" is to not buy a kit.  Those are created for convenience, not value.  I carried two 100W flexible panels as my portable kit for a while.  We kept the panels under the mattress when not in use.  Used a separate Victron MPPT to manage the output, and had 100' of cable so the panels could be positioned far from the camper.  Very cost effective at the time.

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 07 March 2023 - 03:23 PM

I recently purchased a folding 100A panel from Renogy that includes the charge controller.  It was $232 from Amazon.

It comes with MC4 connectors, so I bought the SAE/MC4 adapter PaulT mentioned above and a 25' SAE extension cord.

The leash is helpful to move the panel around, especially in the winter when shadows keep shifting quickly.

The panel comes with a zippered suitcase.  I can lash it to our built-in table leg inside the camper.   A friend has the 200A sized kit, and it's far too large for my tastes.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 bajaphile

bajaphile

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNCSD CA

Posted 10 March 2023 - 02:39 PM

I've run Renogy stuff since about 2016 with great results. My primary solar setup currently is the monocrystalline 200W foldable "kit" from Renogy. It includes a PWM charge controller which is fine for my needs. I've set it up so I plug into an Anderson powerpole connector on my truck. I have this setup on my Land Cruiser as well and transfer the panels between the vehicles. I personally like having the option of storing the panels in the truck. Also in the summer, it is nice to camp in the shade then put the solar panels in the sun. I believe they'll last longer as well without being exposed to the elements year round. 

I camp in the desert and along the coast where the winds can kick up quickly, this foldable setup has never blown over either. 

2001 F350 V10 4x4 w/ 2003 FWC Hawk

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 12 March 2023 - 10:54 AM

Like others, I have one that folds up with a longer cord that plugs into that receptacle on the back of the FWC.  When I built my lifepo4 battery pack, I replaced the cheap controller that came w/ the kit with one that supports the lifepo4.  No issues but we don't use it that much as we don't use a lot of power and have the 3 way refrigerator so it's running off propane.  I'll plug the panel in when we're off the grid for 4 days or so to top the battery off.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 03:21 PM

I like your bugout so much I'm thinking of buying a second one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users