#51 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:30 PM

The knob needs to be pulled out to connect your battery if you want the battery to be charging. If it’s pushed in, the IP22 will just serve as a power supply and the battery will be isolated from the fuse panel and charger.

Gotcha! Thank you! Any time I should push the knob in then?

James

2016 Four Wheel Camper Hawk

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#52 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:40 PM

Note that I edited my previous response to be more precise - you might want to look at it again.

You normally have the battery switch off during storage to prevent battery discharge by the CO detector or anything you left on. Another time would be while doing minor, fuse-protected electrical work on the camper if you are not physically disconnecting the battery. When camping it’s on the whole time for me because I have a compressor fridge. This switch is also the first thing you go for if something is malfunctioning and you’re not sure what’s going on.

Edit: My battery itself has a shutoff switch and an SB175 connector (rather than terminals) that can’t be disconnected without moving the battery. So I use that battery switch as my method to disconnect the battery while doing electrical work. Unless you install a separate battery switch at the battery (like on a boat), I’d recommend disconnecting from the battery terminals when doing electrical work.

Edited by Jon R, 13 March 2023 - 10:49 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#53 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 March 2023 - 12:04 PM

Note that I edited my previous response to be more precise - you might want to look at it again.

You normally have the battery switch off during storage to prevent battery discharge by the CO detector or anything you left on. Another time would be while doing minor, fuse-protected electrical work on the camper if you are not physically disconnecting the battery. When camping it’s on the whole time for me because I have a compressor fridge. This switch is also the first thing you go for if something is malfunctioning and you’re not sure what’s going on.

Edit: My battery itself has a shutoff switch and an SB175 connector (rather than terminals) that can’t be disconnected without moving the battery. So I use that battery switch as my method to disconnect the battery while doing electrical work. Unless you install a separate battery switch at the battery (like on a boat), I’d recommend disconnecting from the battery terminals when doing electrical work.

Understood. Thanks for the insight. I thought I was disconnecting the battery from the system with the knob, but seems like it'd be a relatively simple solution to add a switch on the main line from the battery to truly disconnect the battery from the system.

I'll likely follow your example of having the knob out while camping and in while storing.

James

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#54 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 March 2023 - 12:08 PM

The F-250 got new shoes this weekend! 35" Falken Wildpeak AT's. I have been a BFG guy for a good 20 years on my trucks, but figured I'd give these a shot this time around.

I only went 35" for two reasons: my wife is short and already has to climb in the truck with OEM 33" tires, and with 3.73 gearing, I didn't want to make the big truck any slower and affect MPG's more. Trade-offs indeed, but these will do nicely for the type of adventure we tend to go on!

IMG_0086.gif

Edited by jclifb, 14 March 2023 - 01:46 PM.

James

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#55 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 01:27 PM

You are correct Vic. Solar Panel to controller direct to the battery. I was asuming that JonR meant the charge output from the contoller when he used the term "charger"

#56 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:42 PM

I have been busy getting the truck ready to better support the camper for long periods of time by adding an AirLift airbag system to the F-250. Install was time-consuming by myself, but overall doable with great directions from the company.

IMG_0118 2.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

James

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#57 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:44 PM

I also noticed the table for the front dinette liked to wiggle down and lower as its swiveled to and fro. So I ordered a couple of metal collars to prevent the table from moving past the point the collar is set to. A simple hack, but I imagine will be nice to have when in the camper for weeks on end! I ordered two. One for the bottom post and one for the upper post.

IMG_0134.jpg

James

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#58 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:20 PM

I also noticed the table for the front dinette liked to wiggle down and lower as its swiveled to and fro. So I ordered a couple of metal collars to prevent the table from moving past the point the collar is set to. A simple hack, but I imagine will be nice to have when in the camper for weeks on end! I ordered two. One for the bottom post and one for the upper post.

IMG_0134.jpg

Can you post a link to what you bought? Thanks

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#59 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:53 PM

Can you post a link to what you bought? Thanks

Here you go: https://www.amazon.c...product_details

Notice that the price of two is much more than just buying two singles. Why? No idea.

James

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#60 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:18 PM

Those seem cheap enough.

On my Hawk flatbed the table is in the rear and if table is too high it could swing around and shatter the rear window if it would hit to hard on a ruff road.  I guess it could happen on a front table model also.  There were pictures that someone posted that they broke their front window.

Mine also would shimmy down so I went ultra cheap and had some leftover 2" electrical conduit.  Cut to length and set the table where we enjoy the height.  The writeup and pictures were here somewhere  but could not find it.  Images attached.

20190702_191412_resized.jpg

20190702_191610_resized.jpg

20190702_191423_resized.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users