Posted 06 March 2023 - 03:25 PM

I am haunted by waters

#2 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 09:09 PM

Same thing I have heard from other industry types. Likely does lead to folks not caring about how rods are treated when it only costs $50 or so to have a brand new rod sent. I have used the Orvis replacement three times - twice when an anchor rope caught a poorly placed rod and once when as Kelly said, about the third cast the tip broke about 3" below the tip top and the shop replaced it from their own stock.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 March 2023 - 10:28 PM

The same can be said about so many other industries. It is obviously better or is it hype? And will it last?

I recall our time of leadership in the backcountry ski patrol. We attracted very skilled and enthusiastic young people. As is usually the case, they were always on the lookout for the next best thing. We loved having them around as they were excellent gear test subjects. It sure saved me a lot of time and money.

But we kept it real when we were in the field or called to a SAR incident. We insisted on the old tried and true equipment. It was considered poor form if your equipment broke or let you down, especially when you, your teams, and the subject of the search lives could depend on it.

I sure enjoyed Kelly's talk and perspective. Thanks Mr. Sage.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 07 March 2023 - 12:02 AM

Over the years of alot of fishing, I have broken a few of my Gloomis, Orvis rods. Their warranties replaced the broken units with very few questions asked. That's how I justified the purchase price of the rods that I own. Without the warranties, the replacement rods would be even more expensive to replace today. On one trip to Montana, I broke two rods in one day !! Good thing I brought five rods on the trip!! The other day at the fly shop, I was checking out some rods, wasn't going to buy, just looking, they were way out of my price range (being retired). I'm glad to own the rods that I have and don't feel bad about paying what I did at time of purchase. 

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 March 2023 - 01:37 AM

Your two rods in one day event reminds me of a mountain bike trip into a remote site in SE Oregon.  As we prepared to ride, I noticed one person with the rod sock strapped to the top tube and over the rear wheel.  I mentioned that I thought it was risky, only to be rebuffed.  As we mounted up, legs swinging up to clear the saddle, we all heard a loud snap.  Sure enough, the butt section was broken.

Another in the party loaned our friend a spare rod.  Yes, the rod sock was strapped to the top tube, and yes there was another loud snap, and yes the butt section was broken…

The villain is in this photo…

B5AA3E32-AD86-4B2D-8DA1-4F89A06FEF7B.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#6 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 March 2023 - 03:41 PM

Very well done and so true. I have only broken one fly rod in my many years and that was a Sage 9’ 6wt. It was broken when someone opened a garage door when I was stringing it up and it got caught in the spring. Sage replaced the tip and I still use it to this day, it’s probably 40 years old now. I did by a Sage 5wt after that maybe 15 years ago. I bought a Cabela’s outfit, 8wt for saltwater kayak fishing because I thought I wouldn’t do it much, that was 5hears ago and I go maybe twice a month or more. It is doing fine but I don’t really like it. I am looking at going TFO next and did just order a Ross Reel for the 6wt to use as a saltwater Skagit set up.

I just don’t like having to replace my stuff every couple of years and will pay a little more for that. 
Thanks for sharing! 

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#7 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 07 March 2023 - 05:48 PM

Great photo Steve

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 March 2023 - 06:33 PM

Great photo Steve

Thank you!  Sadly, two of that gang are gone now.  It’s all just photos and memories.

I am haunted by waters

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 March 2023 - 07:10 PM

Great photo Steve

Thank you!  Sadly, two of that gang are gone now.  It’s all just photos and memories.

That is quite the outfit and something tells me I know where you all are heading!

I've been thinking about building a couple more custom graphite fly rods for myself and am just starting to research possible blanks to purchase. My old stand by is about 20 years or more old now and I treasure it. It's a 8.5' three piece and I'm partial to 3 piece rods but, alas, they are no longer available.

Tamarack-Oct-2013-035-copy.webp

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 March 2023 - 07:31 PM

Why do we always break our rods when not fishing?

I have damaged/broken a couple rods but never with a fish on.

It's a bummer ether way.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users