12 replies to this topic

#1 Regulator23

Regulator23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDavie, FL and Mountain Rest, SC

Posted 12 March 2023 - 02:31 AM

Has anyone installed an external GFI plug on their rig?  I have a 2018 Grandby model and could see a benefit to having this.  If so, where did you wire it from and where did you install the plug?  Thank you

2018 Grandby, Front Dinette
2011 Ford F350, Diesel, 8’ bed

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 March 2023 - 07:18 PM

My inverter has 120v GFI outlets, and I used a contractor grade 12g extension cord to run power to the outlets, including one on the outside.  I've only ever made holes in the camper when I could see the framing because I had the inner walls off.  

#3 Regulator23

Regulator23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:16 AM

My inverter has 120v GFI outlets, and I used a contractor grade 12g extension cord to run power to the outlets, including one on the outside.  I've only ever made holes in the camper when I could see the framing because I had the inner walls off.  

Thanks, I didn’t like the idea of putting holes in the camper either.   Are you running your inverter off your truck battery?

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:29 AM

No, the inverter runs off of the dual BattleBorn LiFePo4 batteries in the camper.  3000W Pure sine wave, AIMS brand.  It runs our induction cooktop.

#5 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 13 March 2023 - 06:33 AM

A thread that was similar had suggestions to route an extension cord through the turnbuckle doors.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#6 Regulator23

Regulator23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:43 PM

A thread that was similar had suggestions to route an extension cord through the turnbuckle doors.

That was my first thought.  I use the drivers side turnbuckle door for my portable ac vent ( we live in South FL…hot) but the passenger side might work.  Thanks for the thought.

#7 Regulator23

Regulator23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:48 PM

No, the inverter runs off of the dual BattleBorn LiFePo4 batteries in the camper.  3000W Pure sine wave, AIMS brand.  It runs our induction cooktop.

Got it.  I appreciate your input on this as well as other things you’ve helped me with.  This is the first truck camper rodeo for us and we bought a, like new, 2018 Grandby model.  Our home base is south FL so the first thing I did was a portable AC.  Now I need to ‘beef up’ the battery/solar system (which you gave me great thoughts there already), install an awning ( which I found mounts that bolt to the jacks so I may just go that route as opposed to trying to find the studs and through bolt to them) and some other storage type things.  We’re planning a trip up to the Arctic Ocean in early August and have several short trips prior to that to get everything ironed out.

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:23 PM

Arctic?  That will be a LOOOOONGGGG drive!  Enjoy it!

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:35 PM

I have an inverter and mostly use it for the coffee grinder and small chargers. Never once wanted to plug in an extension cord though I could see it for running power tools if you had a project. Still probably not worth the effort to install an external plug.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:56 PM

Oh, I have loved the few times I have been in a campground without power poles, and folks mock as I get out my extension cord, then gawk as I take out the induction stove, and drop their jaws when I plug it into the camper and make dinner outside using my on board power....  :D  :P  :lol:  :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users