• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:37 AM

Time to write our Congressmen and Senators.  Please watch the two attached videos. We are being ripped off and our National Parks and our government lands are not getting any of the money.

#2 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:01 PM

Just like ticketmaster

#3 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:20 PM

And to think Snowden left that part out!  No wonder he's still hiding in Russia.  I went to Organ Pipe Cactus NM in December last year and discovered all the sites were reserved; how could that be?  All the sites had reserved tags hanging on them. Well of course they weren't all reserved, and with the help of Park staff we were able to use one of the 185 or so sites that, while not actually reserved, had reserved tags hanging on them.

It can be discouraging, but you want to remember that making a profit isn't currently against the law, and milking the system is a paradigm that even predates the US government.

There has never been a shortage of scalawags or snake oil salesmen.

PS- the video is pretty well done.

Edited by dr.tucson, 14 March 2023 - 01:41 PM.

#4 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:56 PM

I have been very frustrated at the amount of reserved sites EVERYWHERE. I think folks with more money than sense are gobbling up all the sites "just in case" they can make it. Last week in Pfeiffer SP, all of the sites were reserved and only 10 or so were occupied. All of the premium river sites sat open all weekend and they were turning people away at the gate.

#5 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 16 March 2023 - 03:47 PM

I think folks with more money than sense are gobbling up all the sites "just in case" they can make it. 

That is what I have figured*. I reserved a site last year and when I knew I could not make it I cancelled (and actually got some money back!) but I guess I am a weirdo. I also have to use "the wreck" to get wilderness permits and the price keeps going up. What pisses me off is that even if I wanted to do a walk - in permit there is a fee now. And last summer I got one of the last permits for a particular trailhead. There were 15 permits I saw one other person on the trail. that day. The weather was a little spicy so I guess everyone else bailed. 

This messed up system is a regular topic of conversation here in the Eastern Sierra. I "zoomed" a public meeting with  a new district ranger and the question came up repeatedly. The district ranger claimed she was not at liberty to discuss the issue. I kept my words in my mouth. 

edit to add: *more money than decency too

and - I'll watch the videos later when I am not itching to get outside in the SUN! so excuse me if this was mentioned: the campground rules have always been that you have to occupy the site the first night or forfeit it so handling no-shows should be clear But the campgrounds are managed by yet another non-government entity and I am not sure they have any desire or guidance to do anything but clean the bathrooms and sell firewood. Hell - I was in a campground Sept. 2021 - total ban on campfires, fire rings taped over with red tape and NO FIRE tags. Some entitled %$^ built a fire and he camp host was notified. He said there was nothing he could do. I' was like, really? I've got a cell signal - what exactly is the problem? 

Edited by teledork, 16 March 2023 - 04:12 PM.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 March 2023 - 04:33 PM

That is what I have figured*. I reserved a site last year and when I knew I could not make it I cancelled (and actually got some money back!) but I guess I am a weirdo. I also have to use "the wreck" to get wilderness permits and the price keeps going up. What pisses me off is that even if I wanted to do a walk - in permit there is a fee now. And last summer I got one of the last permits for a particular trailhead. There were 15 permits I saw one other person on the trail. that day. The weather was a little spicy so I guess everyone else bailed. 

This messed up system is a regular topic of conversation here in the Eastern Sierra. I "zoomed" a public meeting with  a new district ranger and the question came up repeatedly. The district ranger claimed she was not at liberty to discuss the issue. I kept my words in my mouth. 

edit to add: *more money than decency too

and - I'll watch the videos later when I am not itching to get outside in the SUN! so excuse me if this was mentioned: the campground rules have always been that you have to occupy the site the first night or forfeit it so handling no-shows should be clear But the campgrounds are managed by yet another non-government entity and I am not sure they have any desire or guidance to do anything but clean the bathrooms and sell firewood. Hell - I was in a campground Sept. 2021 - total ban on campfires, fire rings taped over with red tape and NO FIRE tags. Some entitled %$^ built a fire and he camp host was notified. He said there was nothing he could do. I' was like, really? I've got a cell signal - what exactly is the problem? 

Fees that goes to a private business for profit. The for profit privatization of our public recreation is now driving how our land managers and agencies do their jobs.

A couple of years ago, when a different huge corporation took over the contract to run recreation.gov, it was an absolute mess around here with our local - concessionaire run - USFS campgrounds and messed up reservations.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 March 2023 - 04:44 PM

All the more reason to avoid popular areas.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 March 2023 - 05:16 PM

All the more reason to avoid popular areas.

We, very much concur. But we encourage all the pilgrims and bubbas to go to the popular areas. They are fantastic, well worth the time, effort, and struggle to visit. They are popular for a reason and NOT to be missed. Go find out why! And, you will be so comfortable and feel safe surrounded by all your friends.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 March 2023 - 06:20 PM

Me too-I very rarely go anywhere you have to reserve a spot-I guess that is one of the benefits of living where I do surrounded by all this wonderful Public Land.  One thing you still need to do with all this sudden interest by first timers out here is to know where and when to travel and not travel-Mondays thru Thursdays are usually good while Fridays and weekends and holidays not so good.  Opening day of any season can be not only bad but dangerous too!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,588 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:19 PM

We, very much concur. But we encourage all the pilgrims and bubbas to go to the popular areas. They are fantastic, well worth the time, effort, and struggle to visit. They are popular for a reason and NOT to be missed. Go find out why! And, you will be so comfortable and feel safe surrounded by all your friends.

I whole heartedly agree, but aren’t you supposed to use the Sarcasm font for that?

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users