• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 olypilot

olypilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:25 PM

I have the ability to store my camper indoors with the top either up or down.  Is there an advantage of one over the other?  It seems that long term it would be better for the vinyl not to be folded in on itself, but I am not an expert.  I have purchased 303 to keep the vinyl in good condition.

Thanks

#2 Utah

Utah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:39 PM

I don’t think there is a significant reason for one over the other. I prefer to store with the roof raised. Possibly the gas lift assist struts may be happier being extended.

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 13 March 2023 - 11:02 PM

I also have a dolly and tall garage. I don’t think the answer is obvious. There’s the long term folding concern you identified, but minimizing UV and ozone exposure is important too. Finally, making sure it is good and dry inside and out before you store it down to prevent mold and mildew is critical. I generally start the storage period with it up for a week or two, and then keep it down unless I need it up for some reason.

Edited by Jon R, 13 March 2023 - 11:40 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 14 March 2023 - 02:21 AM

I second the UV concern.

Store it closed outside unless you can cover it, particularly the vinyl windows, if you can cover it or if you can store it inside with top up then best to store it with top up.  A friend of mine has an early 1980's Keystone with original soft side material still in good shape.  He always stores it inside with top up to minimize permanent creasing of the material.

Sadly I left our 2007 FWC Keystone camper stored outside last summer with the top up for a couple of months.  One of the clear vinyl windows on the South side of the camper became brittle from the UV and cracked.   Now I store it with top down.  No room inside the garage for it.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#5 olypilot

olypilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:02 AM

I second the UV concern.

Store it closed outside unless you can cover it, particularly the vinyl windows, if you can cover it or if you can store it inside with top up then best to store it with top up.  A friend of mine has an early 1980's Keystone with original soft side material still in good shape.  He always stores it inside with top up to minimize permanent creasing of the material.

Sadly I left our 2007 FWC Keystone camper stored outside last summer with the top up for a couple of months.  One of the clear vinyl windows on the South side of the camper became brittle from the UV and cracked.   Now I store it with top down.  No room inside the garage for it.

I can store it inside in my hangar at the airport.  I was just curious of there were any reasons not to leave it up long term.  I do like the ability go actually use it in the hangar to eat lunch or cook a meal.  I even spent the night in it once.

#6 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:11 AM

In our previous home, we left it up all the time, with a corner* of the windows open and the vents slightly open. It was in a carport and saw no sun. Also we left the fridge ajar. Well, once we didn't and paid for it! Anyway, I miss that carport. We could pop it all the way up and it was so easy to load/unload at home, and to clean it, etc.

* The corner away from the stretch cord loop. I tried not to cycle the velcro where it gets pulled by the cord too many times.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 01:41 PM

I leave mine closed except if we dont use it for awhile. In that case i open it to air out and uncrease the fabric. After 20+ years in the inflatable boat/liferaft business, you see the damage done when boats and rafts remain folded for months/years at a time. Hard creases will eventually cause a failure in the coating at the crease. especially where the crease comes to a point. This is more common as the fabric ages and becomes less pliable. Keeping the fabric clean and applying 303 at least once a season is a good way to prolong the life of the fabric. P.S. Never use conditioners that have petroleum distillates in them.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 March 2023 - 02:21 PM

When we store under cover, the top is up, a window and vent opened slightly.  If outside, air it out, then top down, window and vent opened slightly.

I am haunted by waters

#9 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:08 PM

If you can store indoors with top up, I'd imagine that would be the best method. If it's relatively climate-controlled and sees no sunlight then the canvas/vinyl, struts, interior, etc should all benefit from the extended state.

I store mine in my climate-controlled garage open and it also allows me to tinker, fix, pack, unpack, etc.

James

2016 Four Wheel Camper Hawk

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#10 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 15 March 2023 - 03:00 PM

I keep it opened inside the shop. Easy to access when needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users