Photo
- - - - -

eastern oregon/western idaho in early spring?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 road trip by nature

road trip by nature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 06:26 AM

Hi I'm hoping for some trip planning advice. We're doing a big road trip with our kids starting in a few days - from BC down to southern Utah (this section we've done before) then exploring into Arizona and back north through Nevada, through Oregon then home via northern Idaho to BC. Hoping for suggestions of places to check out in eastern Oregon or maybe western Idaho as that area is new to us. Saw some photos and trip reports of the Owyhee canyonlands and it looks really cool, have been told that side roads may be iffy in early April which is when we would be there but still worth a visit. Not sure where to head once we leave there heading northwards.

Looking for: scenic drives, good areas to find camping options where the kids can run around and explore, wildlife, easy to moderate hikes, interesting geology and plant life. We're pretty self sufficient so prefer to be on our own for camping but developed campgrounds ok if they are smaller and not too busy.

Have swapped in a newer truck but we're running basically the same setup as the photo below with an ATC Ocelot. Not afraid of chilly nights but no interest in getting stuck in the snow somewhere as we will be on our own with 2 kiddos.

Didn't want to cast my net too broadly but also open to suggestions in Nevada for on the way to Owyhee.

Thank you for any tips!!

278442943_10166098534985504_6917751383336522560_n.jpg

Edited by road trip by nature, 15 March 2023 - 06:41 AM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 March 2023 - 12:50 PM

Since you know roads can be slick if wet, I’d say check with BLM for conditions before you venture into the Owyhee back county.  You should also consider Malheur NWR and the lower areas of Steens Mountain.  Hart Mt Antelopel Wildlife Refuge might be possible, and I’m pretty sure the Sheldon Antelope Refuge just over the border in Nevada will have some explorable areas.  The east side of the Steens along the Alvord Desert is another, but if the playa is wet, don’t go onto it.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 March 2023 - 03:19 PM

Out here in NE Oregon snow will still be in high country and many roads impassible until late May, but check them and perhaps early thaw is possible....Great Basin NP in Nevada, go to the top if open, great campground just below the peak....Stanley and Sawtooths in Idaho; will not disappoint ....

Edited by Wallowa, 15 March 2023 - 03:21 PM.

#4 road trip by nature

road trip by nature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 05:06 PM

Since you know roads can be slick if wet, I’d say check with BLM for conditions before you venture into the Owyhee back county.  You should also consider Malheur NWR and the lower areas of Steens Mountain.  Hart Mt Antelopel Wildlife Refuge might be possible, and I’m pretty sure the Sheldon Antelope Refuge just over the border in Nevada will have some explorable areas.  The east side of the Steens along the Alvord Desert is another, but if the playa is wet, don’t go onto it.

Good tips thank you! Steens look beautiful and I had the Alvord desert on my list too including hotsprings maybe...Fingers crossed things dry out a bit! Looks like this trip might be more wintery than when we've travelled at this time in previous years.

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 March 2023 - 06:34 PM

Watch the non-paved roads out here-especially this year with such a wet winter and spring so far.  Be sure to check with the land management agencies where ever you go so you don't become a statistic!  

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 16 March 2023 - 06:34 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 16 March 2023 - 10:47 PM

I second Wandering Sagebrush's suggestions. This looks to be a wet spring so anything other than main roads might be a bit sketchy for awhile. The main roads in the Owyhee that take you to Succor Crk or Leslie Gulch should be fine and plenty of exploring just in those areas. Side canyons off of Leslie Gulch are well worth hiking. Steens eastside is spectacular but might be a bit wet for getting off of the main eastside road. There is now a developed campground at the Alvord Hot Springs but most people are pretty disappointed in the way this is being managed.

Can't go wrong with both Malheur, Hart and Sheldon Wildlife Refuges but camping is limited at both to designated CGs.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:35 PM

I second Wandering Sagebrush's suggestions. This looks to be a wet spring so anything other than main roads might be a bit sketchy for awhile. The main roads in the Owyhee that take you to Succor Crk or Leslie Gulch should be fine and plenty of exploring just in those areas. Side canyons off of Leslie Gulch are well worth hiking. Steens eastside is spectacular but might be a bit wet for getting off of the main eastside road. There is now a developed campground at the Alvord Hot Springs but most people are pretty disappointed in the way this is being managed.

Can't go wrong with both Malheur, Hart and Sheldon Wildlife Refuges but camping is limited at both to designated CGs.

There is also a free primitive campground at Mann Lake, north of the Alvord.   There is a boat ramp, and pit toilet.   The lake is/was(?) stocked with Lahontan Cutthroat trout, but goldfish used for bait may be back.   Pheasant tail nymphs with brass bead head was what we used some years ago.  Do not drive into any mud puddles, we sank a Suburban up to the fame many years ago.

Another trip might be the Whitehorse Ranch Rd out past the clump of mud that was once a Pony Express station, and Willow Crk Hot springs.   It will take you from south of Fields to Hwy 95, where you can go to Jordan Valley, then up the east side of the Owyhee to the road to Leslie Gulch, and Succor Creek.

You might even be able to get over to the old mining town of Silver City, Idaho.  There is a small CG that opens after Memorial Day.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 March 2023 - 01:31 AM

There is an awful lot of snow in Idaho this year, some roads are going to be iffy for a while.  Stanley and the Sawtooths are nice, but no way the snow will be gone by early April. The Owyhee area is nice and should be good, check with BLM for accurate road conditions. Maybe also look at Bruneau Dunes, Hagerman Fossil Beds, City of Rocks, Craters of the Moon, Hells Canyon, Snake River Canyon, and various hot springs near Buhl.

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 17 March 2023 - 04:16 PM

Good advice....late rain/snow has many off road options limited or closed...Mann Lake 'was' a cool place to camp on back side, but last time we drove past is was dry and cattle were on it....couple of years ago, this year might be different..plus it is a long drive from Field unless you are going North anyway...Steen's loop is well worth the effort if open...view of Alvord is a million dollar view..Whitehorse Road is a great drive W to E from Alvord, but we found the Willow Crk HS to be a mud hole and water not really hot..

We live almost on top of Hells Cyn and honestly the only way to really see the cyn is by drift boat from dam to Grand Ronde confluence...Snake/Hells Cyn is touted as deepest cyn but only because the 7 Devil Peaks are on eastside....want to see a truly Grand Cyn go to AZ...however we just found out Tuweep road is closed until 4/10 and backcountry ranger said most roads on North Rim are mud/snow...

Driving across Crates of the Moon is a special trip...worth the time and there is dispersed campsites [check "Free Camping"]..Roads to and from Stanley will be opened most of the time cuz it is a main route, paved, but can get weathered in for brief times...Red Lake is spectacular but road in will probably be closed with snow...seeing the Sawtooths from Stanley is breathtaking...snow would only accent them...

Unusual Spring...off roading until perhaps June out here will be sketchy due to mud....or road closures.

Edited by Wallowa, 17 March 2023 - 04:19 PM.

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:43 PM

Looking at snow pack information, I don’t believe the entire loop will be open until mid to late July…  it’s often closed right at the junction to Steens Peak.   That said, there is outstanding spring skiing along the route.  If you have a little extra testosterone, drop over the east rim just north of the summit parking lot.  

Another thought, with the amount of water content, the river is going to be blown out in hot weather.  The Page Springs campground has flooded in past years.

94742CEB-FE39-48EC-89A6-DD9884606EFC.png

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users