16 replies to this topic

#1 lost73

lost73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:35 PM

Hello Experts,

I've been humbled by my FWC! I left the camper on shore power. Unfortunately, the AC to DC fuse blew. When I came back both of my 6v batteries were gone.

I placed a newish 12v battery and the MPPT read 12.6v, good right? Well the past week it has drifted down to 12.4v. That's fine too. My issue is that I plugged it back into shore power and the voltage has not come back up. I spoke with the factory and I was told that shore power charges the house battery at 30A. Would someone be so kind as to help me figure out why my house battery is not taking a charge? I've checked the two fuses next to the Blue Sea battery link (5A and 10A). Thanks for the consideration!

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:13 PM

What charging system does your camper have? The Iota has a fuse on the charge output, is it good??

#3 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:19 AM

You do not say if you have a shunt based battery monitor.  Also you did not say what charging system you have.  If you have an IOTA system check all the fuses and breakers.  Also is the red (or silver) knob pulled out?

1)  If you do not already have a battery state of charge monitor such as a Victron BVM-712 I strongly recommend getting one.  Using voltage levels to determine the charge state of your battery can be inaccurate because cell materials and temperature affect the voltage.

2) Monitoring the battery state of charge and making sure it is charged according to the manufacturer specifications/requirements will help ensure your battery gets a full life.

3) If you are using a lead acid type battery (FLA, AGM, Gel) it is important to fully recharge your battery after discharging before you discharge again and also to not discharge it below about 50% in order to maximize battery life.  Conversely routinely failing to fully recharge your battery or routinely discharging it below 50% will shorten the life of the battery, perhaps significantly (Lead Acid only - this is not applicable to LiFePO4)

4) Make sure your charging approach (e.g. ground power, vehicle charging, solar, external generator, etc) and charging system can support the needs of 3) above.

I hope this is helpful

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 18 March 2023 - 12:23 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 March 2023 - 04:07 AM

Might have a view of this video. At 13 minutes into it show and talk about fuse behind the converter. Worth while for you to watch the whole thing.

https://fourwheelcam...ctrical-system/

Edited by pvstoy, 18 March 2023 - 04:07 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 lost73

lost73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 12:05 AM

You do not say if you have a shunt based battery monitor. Also you did not say what charging system you have. If you have an IOTA system check all the fuses and breakers. Also is the red (or silver) knob pulled out?

1) If you do not already have a battery state of charge monitor such as a Victron BVM-712 I strongly recommend getting one. Using voltage levels to determine the charge state of your battery can be inaccurate because cell materials and temperature affect the voltage.

2) Monitoring the battery state of charge and making sure it is charged according to the manufacturer specifications/requirements will help ensure your battery gets a full life.

3) If you are using a lead acid type battery (FLA, AGM, Gel) it is important to fully recharge your battery after discharging before you discharge again and also to not discharge it below about 50% in order to maximize battery life. Conversely routinely failing to fully recharge your battery or routinely discharging it below 50% will shorten the life of the battery, perhaps significantly (Lead Acid only - this is not applicable to LiFePO4)

4) Make sure your charging approach (e.g. ground power, vehicle charging, solar, external generator, etc) and charging system can support the needs of 3) above.

I hope this is helpful

Craig

Thanks Craig.

Here's my start up sequence.

1. Attach shore power
2. Turn on all 120v breakers
3. 12v master power/pull switch on
4. Leave it on for four hours. No increase in 12v battery levels.

See attached photos for the charging system. It's factory so assume 30A converter.

I'll check the voltage converter fuse. It blew once before.

Matt

20230318_182244.jpg 20230318_182249.jpg

#6 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:01 AM

You are showing a picture of the Blue Sea ACR (automatic charge relay). Are you clear what that does versus your physically much larger Iota DLS30 charger that is behind the louvered vent in your cabinet? If the inline fuse in the small yellow wire connected to the ACR is the fuse you are talking about, that is different from the fuse in the DLS30 charger that Beach and Craig have mentioned.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:04 AM

Picture of DLS30-IQ4

Attached Thumbnails

• 6E9F286A-C50E-4E39-BFA4-641699020980.jpeg

Jon R

#8 lost73

lost73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:05 AM

I was not explicit. If the fuse is blow from the 30A converter (the one under the louver) is the only "symptom" a discharging battery? If that's true I'll replace it again.

#9 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:54 AM

If the fuse is blown on the DLS30 it won’t charge the battery, and your other camper loads will eventually discharge the battery if the silver switch is pulled (on). So, yes, that symptom is explained.

However, if I’m now understanding you correctly, the DLS30 fuse has blown twice. That likely indicates something wrong with the DLS30 or maybe a wiring issue. I wouldn’t just replace the fuse without at least verifying no wiring problems.

Jon R

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:07 AM

Did you watch the video I provided above???

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users