I'm looking for some more advise. I installed (2) 12V 100AH AGM batteries in my FWC Hawk back around September. They are Mighty Max #MH100-12 batteries. I just noticed the other day that one of the batteries was very hot and smelled like sulfur. I pulled it from the system and set it aside to cool. The other battery felt fine, so I left it hooked up to the system. I keep the camper plugged in to shore power in my garage when not in use. Everything has worked flawlessly until now.
I am almost certain it is a faulty battery, but why else would this happen? I have a smart charger, no loose connections, both batteries were charged to 100% before I installed them, no temperature extremes, no short circuits....
Should I go lithium? - I use the camper maybe 8-10 times a year for 1-3 nights at a time. I am happy with the 200AH setup for my needs; I never reach 50% DOD on my short trips, so 100AH of useable power works for me. If I go longer, I can bring my Honda generator with me to recharge. I have no solar and no charging from the trucks alternator, very simple system and I like it that way.
The areas where I camp don't often get much below freezing, but I could see it getting down to 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit at night from time to time. The battery is in the camper so I doubt it ever gets that cold, especially considering I am using the Propex heater at that point to keep myself warm. I also would not be charging the battery in those conditions if at all on my trips. I also like the idea of weight savings and no off-gassing. But most lithium batteries come in 100AH or 200AH (200AH would be overkill). I would need a 100AH battery that can de discharged to 0% in order to get my 100AH out of it. What are some affordable brands out there that won't leave me in this same situation again?
Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!