• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gooseberry

Gooseberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 09:09 PM

Anyone out there know of any plans from 4WC for the Cybertruck? It’s a weird shape, but I love my Fleet and have a CT on order. 

#2 Gooseberry

Gooseberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 11:00 PM

If nobody knows, how about suggestions. Seems like a project M kind of solution would be amazing. The tailgate on the CT is sealed from water and dust intrusion (it’s rumored to be able to float) and the climate control can be used in the bed of the truck with the carbon/hepa filter. Not to mention the 110 and 240 plugs in the bed. I also suspect a solar inverter and input plug. The potential is sky high. There have been some ideas floated, but none to compete with the experience 4WC and ATC bring to the table. 

#3 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:11 AM

What’s the range carrying 1200 lb?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#4 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:20 PM

This would likely take a complete re-tooling of the FWC and ATC production line to accommodate for the angular bed of the CT (CyberTruck). I'd be very surprised to see any current manufacturer build campers for the CT. Not saying it won't happen, rather I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't and would be if they did.

What's more likely is the smaller, niche camper-builders will fill this void when the CT is released. Builders like Ovrlnd Campers may take up the slack as they'd be able to make changes quicker than FWC could I bet.

Regardless, if you get a CT and start a camper build, would love to see the process! Sounds like an opportunity for you to work with a builder as a guinea pig!

James

2016 Four Wheel Camper Hawk

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#5 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:56 PM

What’s the range carrying 1200 lb?

The phrase "horses for courses" may apply here. 

Edited by TacomaAustin, 24 March 2023 - 03:21 PM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#6 Gooseberry

Gooseberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:19 PM

Range for the CT is projected to be greater than 500 miles. It would be more dependent on aerodynamics than 1200 lbs of weight on the highway. Payload is 3500 lbs. Off road at slower speeds BEVs are much more efficient than ICE. The range off road would be greater than 500. So if the topper is aero then it probably wouldn’t diminish overall range by much. If it isn’t very aero, then it could hurt. 300? My Colorado with the Fleet gets like 150ish. So I’m not too stressed. Places like Baja will initially be a problem. It won’t be long though. Tesla’s footprint in Mexico is about to get huge. They are building a massive factory in Nuevo Leon for the Latin American market. Within 5 years, chargers will be ubiquitous. Even in places like Escalante. They mostly already are. 

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:40 PM

Gooseberry,

I advise reading the range specs carefully.  Here is what I read:

"A Cybertruck with a Tesla Semi engine and power train should have 200 miles of range with full loads with 85 kWh batteries and 250 miles with 100 kWh. A 180 kWh pack would give it 500 miles of non-towing range and 400 miles under a class 4 load."Feb 8, 2023

https://www.torquene...a class 4 load.

Beware of the words should and would in marketing info.

Caveat emptor

I hope this information is helpful

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#8 Gooseberry

Gooseberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 05:48 AM

Thanks Craig. I know there is plenty of speculation out there and appreciate you digging into it. I was not familiar with that article. Definitely helpful. 400 miles under a class 4 load with a 180 kWh pack is fantastic. The CT is extremely unlikely to touch class 4 fully loaded. The stated target is more like 2b. For a few other reasons, the numbers as anticipated by the article should be at least as good as the benchmarks they used. Tesla may take longer than predicted to start/ramp production, but so far they have always hit their targets. Hopefully, the price won’t be too far beyond target! That’s the one I’m most concerned about. Anyway, thanks again. 

#9 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 26 March 2023 - 05:22 PM

For those of us who haven't paid a lot of attention to the Cybertruck campers world, I think it's interesting to look at some of the announced plans and try to imagine them in actual use, i.e., with people and gear and operating in typical camping and travel conditions. 

Cybertruck Camper by Cyberlandr

FORMcamper

Space Campers

Loki Basecamp Cybertruck Edition (not much detail on this one)

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#10 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 26 March 2023 - 10:01 PM

I just don't see anyway that the CT would have enough range with a camper to do something like Baja.. I have driven it 4 times and there is no way you are going to see a Tesla Charger in the middle of Baja in my lifetime (My opinion obviously). We have a KIA EV6 with a range "up to" 360 miles. Its a fantastic vehicle for what we use it for (we drive a lot locally for our business, sometimes up to 300 miles per day).   In winter (Denver area), the range dropped to 200-225 at times. So imagine a CT with a load and cooler weather? 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users