27 replies to this topic

#1 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 April 2023 - 09:08 PM

I need to replace the fire extinguisher in my camper.  I currently have a small 5 y.o., (2#?) BC, dry chemical Kidde home extinguisher.  What should I get for replacement (type and size)?

I also carry a small 16 oz. kitchen 'spray can' extinguisher that has a different retardant (can't find it specified anywhere on the can). 

Edited by JaSAn, 25 April 2023 - 09:09 PM.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 10:25 PM

There are four classes of fire extinguishers – A, B, C and D – and each class can put out a different type of fire.1a

• Class A extinguishers will put out fires in ordinary combustibles including wood, cloth, rubber, paper, as well as many plastic materials.
  • Class B extinguishers are for use on flammable liquids like grease, gasoline, solvents, lacquers, alcohols, oils and other similar substances.
  • Class C extinguishers are suitable for use only on electrically energized equipment fires.
  • Class D extinguishers are designed for use on flammable metallic substances like potassium and sodium.

Multipurpose extinguishers can be used on different types of fires and will be labeled with more than one class, for example A-B, B-C or A-B-C. You can find the class label of most fire extinguishers in a pictograph on the side of the extinguisher.1

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 April 2023 - 12:14 AM

Actually there are more types than that but a Class AB is good enough for most of us. I tend to get a little bit carried away though.

KIMG0046%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I do have a preference for foams similar to afff. Other than a chance of freezing I think its the way to go but you can't just grab one off the shelf in most places.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 April 2023 - 01:41 PM

I guess I wasn't clear.  I know I need an A-B-C extinguisher in my Grandby (FLA batteries so I don't think I need D, doesn't B cover K?).  My question is about appropriate size and alternatives to dry chemical.

I have had training on the use of extinguishers and have cleaned up the mess dry chemical makes, which is why I am open to alternatives.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 April 2023 - 04:08 PM

For automotive use I'm not too worried about C rating. I do worry about fire transitioning to the wildland where a powder extinguisher with its poor A rating isn't going to help much. You're correct about the mess to from using a a dry chemical extinguisher. Another consideration that I was unfortunate to witness once is a trapped occupant and my work as a track guy at races.  Dry chemical won't cool a person, is not breathable. The Fireade I use is usually 97% (depending on the mix) water. I'd much prefer someone to spray me with a non toxic water foam than dry chemical. Its also going to be much more effective if the fire gets into the wildland. My experience in freezing temps is at least for short periods and temps in the teens, freezing isn't an issue. 

Plus, if you get a larger extinguisher, its home refillable. https://consumers.fi...e.com/products/

KIMG0044%5B1%5D-M.jpg

Should last me a lifetime.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 April 2023 - 05:06 PM

And as for size, the bigger the better. I realize most people won't or can't carry a 2 1/2 gallon extinguisher but go as big as you have room. My smallest is a 3lb. Probably about 32oz.

Don't forget the quick release. I'm glad I went out to take a pic. I didn't realize the pin was missing!
IMG_20230426_094828474_HDR%5B1%5D-L.jpg
They say fireade will put out a grease fire but personally I'm not going to cook anything like that inside my camper. I'd be afraid of slopping the grease out with the extinguisher besides just covering the fire will put it out. Important thing is not to panic.
IMG_20230426_095657131_HDR%5B1%5D-L.jpg
Btw, Coldfire as best as I can tell is basically the same or very similar to fireade.

P.S. If you do want a refillable I'd look on Ebay for a used one that's been tested. Brand new ones are pricey.

https://coldfirecana...e-extinguisher/

#7 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 09 May 2023 - 12:31 AM

My strong advice is to ditch the standard fire extinguishers and invest in an Element. Much more effective and never goes out of date. It's what we carry in all our vehicles now.

52881672287_31cabc2a27_z.jpg

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:05 AM

Jonathan, thanks for sharing.  This looks like a great alternative to the traditional extinguishers.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:22 PM

OK...I'm sold. Thanks for the video!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 May 2023 - 03:28 PM

I'm not too impressed with them.

1. Cost-Very expensive

2. Not refillable

3. Range. Need to be very close to the fire

4. No cooling effect

5. Its a gas. Any wind and it becomes less effective

6. It may have an A rating but using it on wildland fire? 

Much like a Halon extinguisher I could see using it on something like an electrical fire 

Watch how much its effected by wind

https:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCaPUYKs5Zc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAjlLscIizI

Advantages-No worry about pressure, freezing, no mess

Not sure why my links aren't working but watch some of the non sponsored vidoes on youtube

These are outdoor videos. It will probably be more effective in a confined space.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safety, gear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users