27 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 May 2023 - 04:12 PM

Also, the Element doesn't appear very effective against reignition. That brings up something I forgot to mention. Foam is the only fire extinguishing agent that can prevent a fire. If the Jeep in front of me rolls and is leaking fuel I can put a blanket of foam down to prevent a fire. The Element, CO2, dry chem etc, none of those are useful until a fire ignites.

Once I purchase the extinguisher, my cost per use is very low. I can and do practice with it. I'm not going to do that with a $150 Element. All I need to do is mix a bit of concentrate into water and use my air compressor to refill and I'm ready to go again.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 09 May 2023 - 11:08 PM

Obviously I disagree, despite the valid comment regarding the possibility of preventing a fire. I can't say how common or uncommon such a situation is.

Cost? A heck of a lot less than a replacement vehicle (and the standard Element is $90, not $150; the largest size is $120). Durability? I'd bet money that over half the standard fire extinguishers currently in place in private U.S. vehicles are dead, despite a gauge in the green, due to content caking. That can't happen with the Element, which has no expiration date and no required maintenance. It's also not pressurized. Unlike standard extinguishers, if I ever need the Element I know it will work. If I ever have to use it, I won't care in the slightest that it's not refillable; I'll happily plunk for a new one.

The average 2.5-pound extinguisher (by far the most common vehicle model) will empty itself in less than ten seconds; a bulky five-pound unit will do so in 20. The base Element discharges for 50 seconds, giving the user far more leeway to ensure the fire is actually out. The larger one discharges for a full 100 seconds. It weighs no more than a road flare, making use in a stressful and potentially dangerous situation much easier. 

Wind? All extinguishers that use gas are affected by wind. Deploy from upwind. The Element site has useful advice for fighting fires with any type of extinguisher.

#13 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 11 May 2023 - 05:34 PM

I am with Jonathon. Bought two of the smaller units. One in the cab of the truck, one in the camper shell. I left the little dry chemical that came with the camper mounted for now, but it will go when it is expired.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 May 2023 - 09:08 PM

Maintenance free is a good thing but will it actually extinguish fire? I find some of the youtube videos very disturbing.

#15 mobilelists

mobilelists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 May 2023 - 09:26 PM

I was reading a discussion on another rv board about fire extinguishers.  They are talking about more expensive models, but as JHanson said...Cost? A heck of a lot less than a replacement vehicle...

For your reading enjoyment:

https://www.classbfo...shers-8540.html

Pat

#16 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 06:28 PM

Maintenance free is a good thing but will it actually extinguish fire? I find some of the youtube videos very disturbing.

Craig, I tend to be wary of Youtube videos. All the objective reports on the Element from journalists I've read and seen have been positive. And how many instances have you read about in which a standard fire extinguisher failed to do the job on an engine compartment fire? I know of two, personally.

Which brings up a point I forgot to mention. The worst thing you can do in the event of an engine compartment fire is to raise the hood to use the extinguisher, which creates a draft that just feeds the flames. With the Element you can barely crack the hood open and hold it with one hand while deploying the extinguisher with the other. That's a lot more difficult with a standard extinguisher. Or even just stick the Element through a gap in the grille. 

#17 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 May 2023 - 07:44 PM

thx for the information.  go

Oregon

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:23 PM

Always fun to try and determine who is really objective. I'd feel better if they were in use by fire departments, racing organizations etc, as foam is.  I guess I'll have to purchase one and do my own testing. 

#19 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 11:48 PM

Always fun to try and determine who is really objective. I'd feel better if they were in use by fire departments, racing organizations etc, as foam is.  I guess I'll have to purchase one and do my own testing. 

Let me know if you do! I plan to try to get them to furnish me one I can test with the help of a retired fire chief I know. 

I imagine foam is more effective in the amounts used by fire department and race teams, but that seems beyond the logistical practicalities for a vehicle owner?

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 May 2023 - 01:02 AM

My daughter is a recently retired TVFR Fire Marshal, and I’ve reached out to her to see if she or TVFR have any information and/or opinions about the Element.  Personally, I’m impressed by the demos I’ve seen.

I’ll update the thread when I hear back.

I am haunted by waters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safety, gear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users