Portable 100w Solar Panel

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 05:15 AM

Does anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight Portable 100 watt suitcase panels? Good? Bad? I have a panel on my roof and am looking to supplement when I need to place a panel away from camper in a shady spot.

I assume I just plug into the back wall outlet? After checking polarity of course. Thanks for any recommendations and advice.

#2 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 12:20 PM

No..no information here.i spent $$$ on a bugout that works great

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:23 PM

I went with a Renogy 100w suitcase last fall that includes it's own solar charge controller based on advice from KP.   

It's a reasonable sized kit and includes a protective suitcase.  You're correct about checking polarity, and using the SAE connector provided by FWC on their newer campers.

We've successfully used the portable set up on two trips to increase our ability to charge an e-bike via 2000w inverter.

We've only got 130w panel on the camper and have a 100ah LiPo battery.  Hope that helps.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:38 PM

I went with a Renogy 100w suitcase last fall that includes it's own solar charge controller based on advice from KP.
It's a reasonable sized kit and includes a protective suitcase. You're correct about checking polarity, and using the SAE connector provided by FWC on their newer campers.

We've successfully used the portable set up on two trips to increase our ability to charge an e-bike via 2000w inverter.
We've only got 130w panel on the camper and have a 100ah LiPo battery. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I assume you have a charge controller for your 130w panel. I believe the solar connection on the roof and on my rear wall are spliced together and they both utilize the charge controller I use for rooftop solar. Won’t that controller work for the portable as well? I think I have read that two controllers don’t play well together. I certainly could be wrong. If KP gave you advice on your setup then I defer to that advice. I am still learning and will take all advice and experiential knowledge given. Thanks.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:41 PM

I believe FWC connects the rear SAE plug to the solar controller (if installed), which might interfere with an auxiliary panel that also has a solar controller.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 09:50 PM

I believe FWC connects the rear SAE plug to the solar controller (if installed), which might interfere with an auxiliary panel that also has a solar controller.

My 2015 was pre wired, no controller. Two wires were coiled and marked solar. I hooked up my controller using these wires. I have a rooftop panel. When I put a multimeter on the rear SAE plug I get the same voltage reading coming off the roof top panel. I am assuming that the rear wall socket is tied into the roof wires since I am getting the same voltage reading as my rooftop. When I get my portable without a separate controller I will just plug in to the rear wall SAE. Can anyone see a flaw in my thinking?
Thanks

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 May 2023 - 12:52 AM

If I understood KP correctly, the rooftop panel and the portable panel may be producing different outputs and a single controller won't optimize the results (example:  truck in shade, portable in full sun).  I also like the idea my portable panel with controller can be a stand alone device for other needs, even short term situations. 

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 12:53 AM

If I understood KP correctly, the rooftop panel and the portable panel may be producing different outputs and a single controller won't optimize the results (example: truck in shade, portable in full sun). I also like the idea my portable panel with controller can be a stand alone device for other needs, even short term situations.

That makes sense. You could even hook your portable up straight to a battery standing alone. Thanks for the clarification.

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 03 May 2023 - 02:43 AM

We had the same Renogy set up as Lighthawk when we had our FWC Hawk. Because of the built in controller on the portable, we installed an external plug wired directly to the batteries and plugged the panel into that, bypassing the roof solar.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#10 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 04:29 AM

We had the same Renogy set up as Lighthawk when we had our FWC Hawk. Because of the built in controller on the portable, we installed an external plug wired directly to the batteries and plugged the panel into that, bypassing the roof solar.

That is a good idea. Where did you locate the external plug?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users