• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 smcburnett

smcburnett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 02:30 PM

I suspect some residual water in the system. I drained everything and had a heater inside all winter but we had a few ferociously cold days and nights that probably overwhelmed it.

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 May 2023 - 04:22 PM

I suspect some residual water in the system. I drained everything and had a heater inside all winter but we had a few ferociously cold days and nights that probably overwhelmed it.

Sorry to keep with questions, but where exactly in the system did it rupture and was that a low spot?

Thanks....

#13 smcburnett

smcburnett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:39 PM

The manifold cracked (rather substantially) at the inboard end of the forward manifold past the last hose connection. While this is not a real low spot, it could collect water if the rig was not perfectly level when drained, i.e., tipped slightly toward the passenger side. Too bad FWC doesn't use a copper (vice plastic) manifold. The metal ones are extensively used for in-floor heating systems so they cannot be too expensive. I'm continuing to search for one ready-made, but I may have to just take the broken one to a plumber and have one fabricated. I really don't want to do this every spring!

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 May 2023 - 01:33 AM

<snip>

While this is not a real low spot, it could collect water if the rig was not perfectly level when drained…

<snip>

I am a fan of Ask This Old House, and one of their programs was on frozen and ruptured plumbing.  According to Richard Trethewey (and plumbers never lie), it’s the air compressed by the expanding ice that is the real villain.  I would not have suspected that.

I am haunted by waters

#15 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 26 May 2023 - 03:00 AM

I think Mr  Trethewey is incorrect because of the Physics of freezing water.

Water is an incompressible material.  When water freezes it can exert tremendous pressure.  Air on the other hand will compress.

Freezing ice can exert pressures up to 43,511.31 pounds of force per square inch (psi).

See Ref:

https://www.jlconlin...-pipes-freeze_o

Edited by ckent323, 26 May 2023 - 03:02 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 May 2023 - 04:12 AM

:eek: Craig, you’ve destroyed my faith in plumbers.

I am haunted by waters

#17 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 26 May 2023 - 04:55 PM

Sorry. 

My bet for understanding liquids (as well as all other matter) is on Physicists. 

My bet for getting things holding liquids to work is on Plumbers.  (even if they don't actually understand how or why liquids do what they do). 

;-)

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 26 May 2023 - 08:29 PM

Close but ...but water is compressible [ surface sea level responds to atmospheric pressure changes]; just not much B)  While of course gases are compressible...deferential heating of a pipe/manifold with the air trapped by ice 'plugs' could cause the air to expand and rupture the material before the ice melted...WAG

All this is conjecture on what split his pipe...I still do not know what or where the 'manifold' is...my '16 Hawk is the only plumbing I know of...

All academic but would like to know the temperatures causing this, at what temperature the heater in the camper kept the interior and if the cabinet doors were open to allow in the heat...or even the tie-down doors were open...

Fore warned is fore armed...  

Phil

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:56 AM

That sucks.  Hope they are able to enjoy the trip regardless!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users