• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 05:05 PM

Setup:

FWC Hawk 2008

Single 12v battery

No solar, charged from truck alternator or Shore power 

After a winter of draining the battery down we decided/were advised to get a Victron BMV 712 battery monitor.  While installing the monitor I have a wiring question. (question in italics below)

I'm assuming the cable that plugs into the side of my truck from the camper goes to the fuse box and then there is a wire with a positive and negative running to the camper batter.

If I'm understanding the quick setup guide from Victron correctly there should be a wire coming from the "Loads & Chargers" that runs to the right "Loads & Chargers" side of the shunt and the positive side of the wire from my fuse box still running to the positive side of the battery.

The negative was easy to run through the battery side of the shunt.

On the right side I'm not sure if there should be a 3rd wire from the fuse box somewhere or should this be setup the same as the negative side with the wire running through the shunt then a new wire from the shunt to the positive side of the battery.

Yes I did setup the thin red wire from the B1 port to the positive side of the battery.

Specifically looking at the yellow highlighted wire in the below diagram.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:46 PM

No diagram, but i think I’ve seen that pic before….

The positive side of your wiring does not change when installing a shunt, except for that thin B1 battery link.

The wiring coming into the camper from the truck battery does not enter into this either. The BMV 712 is intended to monitor the health of your camper battery.

So, when installing the shunt, after mounting it and connecting the B1 lead, take the lead off of your camper battery -ve post, connect that same lead to the “Loads” post on the shunt. Make a new short cable to connect it to the “Battery” post on the shunt and to the -ve post on the camper battery. That’s it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Victron, battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users