#1 Serat

Serat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 May 2023 - 12:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

I just got my hands on a Fleet of unknown vintage (somewhere between 2006 and 2009, maybe) and I am refitting it.  I figured I'd just pull the old furnace and pop a new Dometic model into the hole.  The old furnace is a Dometic/Atwood 8516-IV.  The guy I bought it from said it worked but I couldn't get it to light.  Fan was okay, though.  

The new furnaces are 3 inches longer than the old one.  And, yes, I have learned an important lesson about removing something prior to researching a replacement!

My options seem to be:

1.  Fix the old one (if possible) and put it back in.  I saved the circuit board and thermostat but who knows if they work.

2.  Cut 3 inches out of the wooden platform directly behind the furnace and get a new Dometic.

3.  Try something entirely different like Propex or Truma (gasp$$).  

I really want to go with option 2.  Is there a problem if I cut down that little bump out where I drew the line in the photo?  I would replace the wood on the end and patch the hole in the floor, of course.

Any advice for a newbie?  

Thanks

Roylnn

Attached Thumbnails

• InkedFurnace Opening 2.jpg

#2 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 May 2023 - 12:13 AM

Isn’t that round hole the access for setting the turnbuckle? I don’t have turnbuckles as my camper is bolted down to a flatbed, so I’m not the last word on advice. But, I believe that the turnbuckle will be angled towards the rear of the camper so make sure shortening that boxed area doesn’t interfere with properly installing the turnbuckle. Basically that box is to allow the camper to clear the inner wheel well.

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#3 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:36 AM

Since you have the furnace out of the camper, my preference would be to have the existing Atwood 8516 unit repaired.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 May 2023 - 06:56 PM

Since you have the furnace out of the camper, my preference would be to have the existing Atwood 8516 unit repaired.

Exactly. Plus you will learn how the furnace works and how to repair it. There's not much difference between new and old in how they operate. Parts are available and there are repair videos on YouTube.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 May 2023 - 10:43 AM

If it's the original control board, I suspect that's the issue.  Did it start up and just not light?  When I rebuilt my old Eagle, I replaced everything (sail switch, jets, etc.; all cheap) and then had to do the circuit board.  I cleaned the flu, put a bit more insulation around the unit (top/sides), etc.   I went with a Dinosaur brand and it worked great for many years until I sold the Eagle.  Since it's out, you have a lot of options of what you could do (wiring, outlets, etc., etc.).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#6 Serat

Serat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 May 2023 - 06:51 PM

I thought I'd update this for those of you kind enough to reply. I did not have the courage to cut out that corner of wood, or the patience to become an HVAC technician so I have decided to get a new dometic and relocate it.
I may start a rebuild thread. Although, after reading several very complete threads on here, I doubt I'll have much to add!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fleet, furnace, rebuild, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users