• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 28 May 2023 - 12:02 AM

Let me qualify my comment. With a truck such as your 3/4-ton, and a FWC, the difference in weight between camper-on and camper-off is not nearly as drastic as the same situation with, say, a Tacoma. I haven't seen a spring combination in a light truck that will work adequately with and without a camper in place.

#12 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 28 May 2023 - 01:51 AM

JHansen brings up an important  consideration regarding loading a heavy camper onto a light truck.

I can attest that installing a beefy rear spring pack onto a Tacoma sufficient to handle a 1000 lb camper will result in a  truck which will ride over bumps like a buckboard wagon when the slide-in camper is removed. 

My preferred choice on such a light truck is to install an add-a-leaf, plus air bags. 

Edited by TacomaAustin, 28 May 2023 - 11:17 AM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#13 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:14 PM

JHanson,

Excellent point.   And your comment also brings up an important consideration.   It is important to consider total weight not just the camper weight.

Added weight with camper, additions to the basic camper and all gear plus full tanks and all passengers is likely to be 1800 pounds or more for even smaller campers. It is easy to exceed the payload capacity of a 3/4 or 1/2 ton truck when adding a camper and all gear, particularly those with heavy diesel engines.

My truck weighs about 6600 pounds with full fuel tank and 2 adults.  The Keystone camper advertised weight is 1,000 pounds,  but with camper (including with solar panel and two 6v AGM batteries, full fuel and water tanks, two adults and all gear our truck weighs about 9,000 pounds. 

I had it weighed both empty and loaded at front axle, rear axle and total weight before I ordered the new springs.  I gave that info to Deaver with my order.

I hope this information is helpful.

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 28 May 2023 - 10:15 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#14 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:50 AM

Chet, with all due respect, your repeated insistence in all these types of threads to "buy the right truck" is wonderful on a theoretical basis, but questions such as these are asked by people who already own a truck and probably don't have the wherewithal to just run out and write a check for an F350 or 3500. That's why the rest of us try to help them within their existing framework. Also, not everyone wants to drive a massive 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, whether or not they can afford it. I, for one, will continue to answer their questions rather than lecturing them on how they bought the wrong truck.

#15 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:31 PM

By glossing over the errors of others and not informing them you are complicit in the continuation of the problem. Would you consider contacting several OEM lead suspension or handling engineers and writing an article to help remedy this deadly misinformation?

First, no one on this web site has advocated exceeding a truck's payload rating.  I took JHansen's remark to say not everyone will rush out to buy a 3/4 ton truck.

Righteous indignation aside - I doubt that any safety rant will prevent the average 1/2 ton truck owner from utilizing their rig near or at its payload rating, if they choose to.  

Mods such as beefing up the rear spring pack, adding air bags, upgraded shocks, E rated tires and finger crossed a heavy duty rear sway bar aren't a perfect solution - but they'll help mitigate the effects of the added load on the typical 1/2 ton. 

Andrew in Austin, TX

#16 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:11 PM

TacomaAustin, et al.

I take no issue with any off the commentators or their posts here but I do recall some people posting comments effectively poo pooing the risks of exceeding the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (by hundreds of pounds not just a few pounds).

People can and do decide to take risks for which they may or may not fully understand the potential consequences.  As long as that does not present a risk to others then I have no issue.  If it clearly presents a risk to others then I do have an issue with their decision.

However, I suspect that there is some margin of safety around the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and I suspect that exceeding the Gross Vehicle Weight by a small percentage may not be very risky from an endangering other people perspective but it will increase wear and tear on the vehicle.

That written there is a point where it does make the vehicle dangerous and just leaving it up to each individual to sort that out is obviously problematic, which I am sure is why there are published and legally enforceable weight limits.

In general, the vehicle manufacturers, the cognizant law enforcement agencies and the insurance companies all say a vehicle should never exceed GVWR, loaded or unloaded. Exceeding GVWR may not only be dangerous, it can dramatically shorten the life of the vehicle. It is also a vehicle code violation which can result in a citation and fines as well as invalidation of the insurance in the case of an accident.

My recommendation is for each of us to think carefully about the consequences of our decision, not just about ourselves but also about the people around us, passengers, other drivers as well as pedestrians, before deciding to carry a load that exceeds the vehicle GVWR.

P.S. - I am not aware of any legal mechanism to legally increase the GVWR of a vehicle.  If there is I welcome a link to the information on how to do it.

I wish all safe and enjoyable travels and camping.|

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 31 May 2023 - 10:15 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#17 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:56 PM

I don't recommended or condone even fractionally exceeding GVWR in any vehicle. With that said, you can bet each manufacturer's GVWR has been calculated with information consumers have no access to—torsional chassis rigidity, a hundred others—and is well within a margin of error. Therefore I have no problem offering advice to someone who already owns a truck and camper and wishes to optimize handling, ride, and safety with that combination while staying within manufacturer's recommended limits.

And no, by doing so I do not consider myself an angel of death.

#18 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:13 PM

The information and advice from JHanson and other members is appreciated and encouraged. It has made it possible for me to use my existing and payed for 1500 Chevy and FWC combination with comfort and safety. Without the recommended upgrades suggested from this site, my truck would be unsafe with a camper on it. I consider the aftermarket parts I have added to accommodate the load are a mandatory safety upgrade. She stops quickly and without worry, accelerates well and rides like a dream. I’m right at GVWR.

#19 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 01 June 2023 - 12:15 PM

With regards to exceeding the GVWR - in addition to being unsafe - should an incident occur in this litigious society, legal troubles will ensue and if there is evidence that the GVWR was exceeded, I believe that your insurance company will be off the hook for any damages.  

Andrew in Austin, TX

#20 j_f

j_f

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 03:32 PM

Let me get the is straight, Ramblin: YOUR  49% payload use is an example of "the proper truck for carrying the required load," but MY 49% (700lb Fleet shell in full size truck w/1475lb payload) is... how did you put it?

"The wrong choice and they are significantly increasing the risk to themselves and others."

Be pedantic if you're so inclined, but you undermine your argument when you 1) ignore the facts and 2) sanctimoniously answer the question you prefer to answer instead of the one asked. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users