31 replies to this topic

#21 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:21 PM

j_f,

With all due respect I do not see the identification of your camper or your truck in your initial post.  Certainly no mention of a 700 lb fleet on a full size truck with 1475 lb payload.

I know we all can get irritated by seemingly insensitive (or worse) comments but I hope we can all be thoughtful (even if we feel insulted or disrespected) when we comment and try our best to ensure that the exchanges here can continue to be courteous, friendly, respectful and helpful.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 05 June 2023 - 09:04 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#22 j_f

j_f

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 09:26 PM

You're right, Craig-- I didn't mention specs in my post, but that's exactly my point. I'm annoyed by the logic of the response of "buy the right truck for the camper" when the responder has NO CLUE  (and didn't bother to ask) about said truck or camper.

The post wasn't meant to be "700lb Fleet in Tundra, Please Evaluate." I simply asked why I was being steered away from airbags and was met with the patronizing, incorrect assumption that I (and every other helpful respondent) was ignoring my truck's capacity or lack a grasp of basic arithmetic. At no point did I or anyone else even suggest maxing out the GVWR.

I wholeheartedly agree that we should all be civil and respectful-- that's why I have very limited tolerance for arrogance or self aggrandizement.

I appreciate all of  the informed, thoughtful responses on this thread and elsewhere. Thankfully, those seem to be the majority.

#23 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 June 2023 - 12:25 PM

So getting back to the topic at hand j_f can you tell us what truck and camper you were asking about?

In general terms, as was stated previously, if your camper will be on most of the time an upgraded spring pack is better. If you only have your camper on occasionally then a set of airbags works very well. That is what I have on my F-350 srw, cc diesel that is without the camper 90% of the time.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#24 j_f

j_f

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 08:56 PM

So getting back to the topic at hand j_f can you tell us what truck and camper you were asking about?

In general terms, as was stated previously, if your camper will be on most of the time an upgraded spring pack is better. If you only have your camper on occasionally then a set of airbags works very well. That is what I have on my F-350 srw, cc diesel that is without the camper 90% of the time.

smlobx, it's a first-gen tundra with an 80's(?) Fleet shell. Shooting for a dry weight of around 700 lbs. Thanks for chiming in.

#25 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:57 PM

Me on tundra new rear springs by fall

#26 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 16 June 2023 - 06:10 PM

Two more cents.

When we put our 2015 Fleet on our then new 2019 For Ranger, our options were Air Lift bags or ordering springs from Australia. With our usual impatience, we installed the Air Lift bags.

My wife's relationship with her back has deteriorated over time and the bounce from the bags began to restrict our road choice. We recently had Mule Outfitters add helper springs and set the bags at about 8 lbs.

The change is dramatic. I can take our Portland street speed bumps at the same speed as I do in our Rav4. We are back on remote roads. I also feel that the Ranger is more stable in high speed travel, as well.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#27 j_f

j_f

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've ordered a set of new springs from General Spring-- they're the heavy duty version with one more leaf than stock. Given that I'm shooting to keep the camper light AND it won't be on all the time, I think this is a good starting point. A couple of local places offered to add a leaf and rework the pack, but the price was significantly higher than the new ones from GS. All else equal, I like the idea of new springs that haven't been already seen 200k miles. I might also try a scrapyard rear sway bar --the Sequoia came with one to address the extra mass/roll and they bolt right on the Tundra since they're built on the same platform. If those don't do the trick, I'll look at adding some airbags as well.

#28 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 17 June 2023 - 04:30 PM

I ordered a set of springs from General, one additional leaf, for the Dodge 1/2-ton I used to own. I was happy with them.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#29 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 03:33 PM

With me ,I'm not adding it for more load weight.im adding to avoid bottoming out on rough roads an "lol" the Alaskan hiways

#30 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 12:25 PM

Ordered alcan yesterday 1400lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users