Photo
- - - - -

FWC Single Sheet Roof "Tin Canning"...Why?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#11 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 May 2023 - 04:04 PM

Brenda is also awesome and has been very attentive when

helping me on several occasions.

Brenda sent me this response to the request I sent her and Stan:

"Are you having an issue with your roof?"   I sent them the link to this topic discussion on the forum: 

https://www.wanderth...nningwhy/page-1

Nuf said.

Edited by Wallowa, 24 May 2023 - 04:06 PM.

#12 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:40 PM

We have the same issue on our 2017 hawk flatbed. When I wash the roof with a long handled brush, the aluminum is so floppy that I have always assumed that there is no attachment to the frame other than where the tracks pinch it down..
John
Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#13 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 24 May 2023 - 09:25 PM

since your yakima tracks are either screwed or riveted to the roof frame, i assume you could also screw/rivet the roof to other roof framing. once the holes are drilled ,  figure some sealant into the hole, and then rivet it down ??    that appears to be how my tracks, and solar panel brackets are attached.

go

Oregon

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 May 2023 - 09:25 PM

We have the same issue on our 2017 hawk flatbed. When I wash the roof with a long handled brush, the aluminum is so floppy that I have always assumed that there is no attachment to the frame other than where the tracks pinch it down..
John

Yup...floppy is a good description....I am trying to figure out where I can place my "sand bags" for them to be effective....with two panels and 2 vents + rails, not much open space to configure them on....can't go under panels..and permanently affixing steel or aluminum bars on the top sheet would make the top too damn heavy for an old man like me!

Phil

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 May 2023 - 09:40 PM

since your yakima tracks are either screwed or riveted to the roof frame, i assume you could also screw/rivet the roof to other roof framing. once the holes are drilled ,  figure some sealant into the hole, and then rivet it down ??    that appears to be how my tracks, and solar panel brackets are attached.

go

yes...look down into the Yakama tracks/rails and you will see the screws, with a little white sealant at each screw. My FWC mounted 160w Zamp solid panel panel does mount to these rails with sliders inside the rail; my added 170w Zamp solid panel is mounted just outside the rails on provided mounting towers [with a special adhesive] that matches the height of the FWC panel and I added an aluminum "L" bar between the rails at the front edge of my 170w panel for support to and augment the towers.  Both panels are at the same height and slightly above the two vents but neither interferes with the vents.

Yes, one could screw the top sheet to the roof frame; but, in my case I would have to remove the panels to do that, find exactly where the roof support beams are, place screws with sealant and then, for me, worry about leaks. Where and how many screws to place would be a guessing game for me.  Water tight integrity is a priority for me.

Phil 

#16 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 May 2023 - 09:40 PM

Phil you might have to place screws in the roof like

most of the rest of have on older campers.

The "screwed" down roof has been a good weather tight one

over all the years.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 May 2023 - 09:42 PM

Phil maybe you could give Marty a call at ATC for some other ideas.

They work on FWCs also.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 May 2023 - 09:46 PM

Casa....agreed it seems like the only retro solution...retro is the key word; if FWC had properly secured the top sheet during construction all this would be a moot point...I will play with my sand bag approach...wonder if gluing a thin light weight material [strips or sheet] on top of the top sheet would stiffen it sufficient to stop the canning and still allow me to raise the top?

Too bad I don't drink single malts anymore; alternative method of sleeping...   B)

Phil

Will give Marty a jingle...thanks.

Edited by Wallowa, 24 May 2023 - 09:47 PM.

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 May 2023 - 11:48 PM

I considered using fiber glass battens (think sail battens) glued to the top, but decided to not pursue that approach.  It might work.

<snip>

I will play with my sand bag approach...wonder if gluing a thin light weight material [strips or sheet] on top of the top sheet would stiffen it sufficient to stop the canning and still allow me to raise the top?

<snip>

I am haunted by waters

#20 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 May 2023 - 03:16 AM

Good suggestion Sage....like "battening down the hatches"....will give it a look...thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users