Photo
- - - - -

FWC Single Sheet Roof "Tin Canning"...Why?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 May 2023 - 02:21 PM

The dimples are hail.. 

The diagonal lines, no clue.. 

parts of my roof are probably 3/4 inch away from the roof studs (I can push it down and feel when it hits the studs)

Yes...I can also push my top sheet down over the roof struts....definitely not attached...'16 Hawk

#42 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 May 2023 - 02:46 PM

Here is what mine looks like, wish I could post of video as I can push it down and it bounces back.. clearly not connected to much of anything anymore.. 

2013 Grandby

What does a new roof cost out of curiosity ?

Yes...I can also push my top sheet down over the roof struts....definitely not attached...'16 Hawk

So this is not the thin roof sheet flexing but an obvious failure of the adhesive. What is length of the warranty?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#43 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 28 May 2023 - 03:24 PM

So this is not the thin roof sheet flexing but an obvious failure of the adhesive. What is length of the warranty?

No Clue and probably does not apply to me as I am not the first owner and the camper is 10 years old. 

I appreciate Stan coming to this forum and offering insight, but it really does seem like the 2 sided tape is not as strong as they hoped for as there seem to be quite a few of us with this problem. 

I would prefer to not get a new roof, but curious to keep hearing suggestion on how to minimize the noise so that I can sleep when its windy.. (ear plugs don't work for me as its just too loud). 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#44 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 28 May 2023 - 03:33 PM

No Clue and probably does not apply to me as I am not the first owner and the camper is 10 years old. 

I appreciate Stan coming to this forum and offering insight, but it really does seem like the 2 sided tape is not as strong as they hoped for as there seem to be quite a few of us with this problem. 

I would prefer to not get a new roof, but curious to keep hearing suggestion on how to minimize the noise so that I can sleep when its windy.. (ear plugs don't work for me as its just too loud). 

Even if it was covered under warantee, they'd have to remove the whole roof (maybe) and it get on the 'work bench'.  Then remove the top layer and reapply either the tape or some other adhesive and then re-install.  Could be at least a day's worth of work.  I'm also not sure if they vinyl would "survive".

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#45 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 28 May 2023 - 04:02 PM

If VHB tape is used by FWC to adhere the roof skin to the roof struts (rafters) I wonder which one, there are literally dozens of VHB tapes.  They are designed for many specific applications.  I have used a couple of different VHB tapes and found the adhesive very strong when the tape was applied correctly.

https://www.3m.com/3.../c/tapes/b/vhb/

I also cannot help but wonder if the temperature and humidity range the camper roof  is subject to, and thus the tape, might be part of the issue by causing the tape adhesive for the particular tape used to fail either cohesively or adhesively over time and temperature/humidity extremes. There is a range of possible failure mechanisms including inadequate surface preparation, faulty material lots, etc that could be the root cause.

A full diagnosis would require disassembly and inspection by someone knowledgeable of structural adhesive tapes. Hopefully, FWC (or 3M advisors) performed lifecycle simulations over a wide range of temperatures and humidity with a roof panel adhered to roof struts before the engineering team employed VHB tape to adhere the one piece roof to the roof struts. 

I am familiar with product development and it is not uncommon for design changes to experience unexpected failures after the product has been put in use even after structural/thermal modeling and scale model simulations appear to show success during the development phase.  Indeed, lifecycle simulations are often not performed because of the time and cost involved.  In fast paced development and analysis moving quickly into production environment that commercial products exist in, unexpected failures of new designs, even years later after real world vibration, temperature, and humidity cycling are always a risk. 

It seems like a number of campers have experienced this problem. It is not clear from reading on this forum if it is just a few campers or a lot of campers or even campers of a particular model or range of years. 

I encourage and hope everyone who experiences this problem (original owner or not) reports it to FWC.  Hopefully FWC will collect that data by model and model year which might aid them in tracking down the issue, particularly if it is related to something like aging of the tape or  particular year or model of camper.   If it is a warranty issue that results in repair (and I have no idea if that is the case) then I would expect that FWC does reasonable investigations during repair to understand the root cause of the problem and if needed come up with a solution.  The more people that report the issue the more likely FWC will understand the problem and a way to remedy it.

Edited by ckent323, 28 May 2023 - 04:52 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#46 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 28 May 2023 - 05:51 PM

Expansion and contraction of different metals with a tape surface between that could be shearing is one thought that comes to mind.

The roof truss beams may not move much but a thin-ish one peice aluminum sheet that is captured all around the edge, if it would expand and contract with heat and cold would ripple and distort wherever it could. Results could be shearing breaking the VHB tape over time no matter how good the bond might be. Time is against it.

Instead of wide flat aluminum straps to add to roof, thinner lighter aluminum angle could be used easily and found at a home improvement store.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#47 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 28 May 2023 - 08:25 PM

Pvstoy,

Good thought.   However, I believe that the frame and the roof are both Aluminum and so should have similar thermal expansion characteristics (even if different alloys).

Given that they are both Aluminum the tape should experience minimal shear stresses unless there is some mechanism that constrains the frame or roof from expanding or contracting together, but if that were the case I would expect to see failures related to that in campers with the roof attached to the rafters (struts) with fasteners.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#48 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:47 PM

Regardless of the "mechanism of injury'....the method of attaching the top sheet to the struts/rafters/top frame failed; VHB has not held.  If the top sheet was truly held down, the bubbling and tin canning would not occur.  

#49 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 May 2023 - 12:47 AM

The insulation in the roof of my 2021 Grandby is definitely not bonded to the roof sheet metal. I can feel it moving when I gently press the head liner.

Edit 5/30: Now I’m not so sure about this statement. The insulation may have been moving with the metal. See my later post.

Edited by Jon R, 31 May 2023 - 04:05 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#50 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:18 PM

I was kind of wondering this same thing.  I would suspect the camper would have to go back to the factory and it'd probably take the better part of a day and if they have to remove the top and roof I wonder about the vinyl?

I think I'll probably video mine next time it's doing it so I'll have a record and then send it to Stan or ? so they know about it.

I still believe having the 1 piece roof is superior to having a roof with screws (maintence on those roofs took a lot of work to keep them leak proof).

Kevin

I have a 2021 Grandby and my roof "tin cans" also - I actually suspected they failed to install VHB when it was built.

With all the changes over the past several years at FWC it is my belief is that the problem originated from improperly trained or supervised employees. Over the years when I have inspected "failures" of specialized bonding agents it has always been traced back to not using the agent properly - most often surface preparation. Some times not using the correct agent for the specific application. And occasionally, not having a proper inspection process installed to prevent failed product from leaving the manufacturer.

So FWC, what will you do to resolve this for your customers?

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users