Photo
- - - - -

FWC Single Sheet Roof "Tin Canning"...Why?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#51 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:17 PM

I really doubt that there is a "rebuild" solution that is feasible.  Not just in terms of numbers and time but honestly how would they be 'repaired'?  New top sheets securely glued or screwed to aluminum frame?  Like I posted a long time ago my position is that this now my problem to deal with...I do not wish to have my two solar panels, vents and Yakima rails removed and then replaced.  Too much to go wrong that could create even a worse problem.  Could the existing top sheets be screwed into the frame and not create leaks?  You go first and let me know have that worked out...Having noise vs having leaks and I will work on lessening the noise. 

FWC is aware of the problem but so far all our discussion about this issue is purely speculative.  WAGs.  Until the "why" is clearly defined in detail, the "how to fix it" is also pure speculation.  In the mean time I will try to stop or lessen the popping/banging/firearm discharge noises on my own.  My Hawk, my problem.

I do wonder how and if the securing of the top sheets from now on will change.  Hopefully FWC will develop a foolproof attachment method to eliminate the tin canning.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 30 May 2023 - 11:18 PM.

#52 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:21 PM

I hear you and maybe your FWC is older but mine is about a year old.  If it's a bad design or a failure of a component, etc. it's still under warantee.  FWC has been great about fixing and repairing things over the years.  That's why we own them and love them.  I would expect that if I bought a new vehicle and it had issues, the manufacturer would come up with a solution/repair. 

I really doubt that there is a "rebuild" solution that is feasible.  Not just in terms of numbers and time but honestly how would they be 'repaired'?  New top sheets securely glued or screwed to aluminum frame?  Like I posted a long time ago my position is that this now my problem to deal with...I do not wish to have my two solar panels, vents and Yakima rails removed and then replaced.  Too much to go wrong that could create even a worse problem.  Could the existing top sheets be screwed into the frame and not create leaks?  You go first and let me know have that worked out...Having noise vs having leaks and I will work on lessening the noise. 

FWC is aware of the problem but so far all our discussion about this issue is purely speculative.  WAGs.  Until the "why" is clearly defined in detail, the "how to fix it" is also pure speculation.  In the mean time I will try to stop or lessen the popping/banging/firearm discharge noises on my own.  My Hawk, my problem.

I do wonder how and if the securing of the top sheets from now on will change.  Hopefully FWC will develop a foolproof attachment method to eliminate the tin canning.

Phil

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#53 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 31 May 2023 - 12:33 AM

In my opinion, it is simply the smooth aluminum that is the problem. It was suggested earlier in this thread that FWC take a roof apart to see what is going on. They did just that 10 years ago when I had this issue. The tape had not failed. They had to chisel it off as Stan stated. FWC never had this complaint prior to the smooth aluminum. ATC still uses the corrugated aluminum for their roof and have never had a complaint of the roof popping. The rigidity makes all the difference.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#54 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:45 AM

In my opinion, it is simply the smooth aluminum that is the problem. It was suggested earlier in this thread that FWC take a roof apart to see what is going on. They did just that 10 years ago when I had this issue. The tape had not failed. They had to chisel it off as Stan stated. FWC never had this complaint prior to the smooth aluminum. ATC still uses the corrugated aluminum for their roof and have never had a complaint of the roof popping. The rigidity makes all the difference.

Thanks Ted couldn't have said it better.

The corrugated roof material makes all the difference.

Frank

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#55 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 May 2023 - 04:03 AM

I checked the roof of my 2021 Grandby and the sheet metal is bonded to the longitudinal frames starting about a foot in from the front and rear edges. I checked it by sticking a small piece of gaffer’s tape to it and pulling up gently at various locations. The VHB tape must be pretty narrow because when I push down on one side of the frame the metal rocks at the frame and the other side rises. If the tape was an inch wide like the frame it wouldn’t do that. Less than a half inch wide is my guess. I’ve used several types of 3M VHB tape so I’m familiar with it.

Now that I’ve studied and played with the top metal a bit and noted how it sags a bit between the frames, I take back my previous statement that the insulation is definitely not bonded to the metal. While I can push the insulation up with gentle force on the head liner, I may have been lifting the metal at the same time.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#56 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:20 PM

OK...but replacing the existing single sheet smooth top sheets with a corrugated one is not feasible...and I do not believe ATC tops are one piece...could be wrong.

If FWC smooth top lacks sufficient rigidity how do you dampen the tin canning? 

I am not by any means an engineer but it seems that there are sufficient aluminum struts/frame in the top frame that adequately attaching them to the top sheet would stop the tin canning.

All academic if there is no viable solution at this point....just live with the issue or develop a work around....still working on that  :rolleyes:

Phil

#57 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:35 PM

Perhaps adding stiffeners to the inside is more practical. You’d have to remove/replace the insulation and lining though. If there’s a delamination maybe some angles bonded to the top skin and frame could work.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#58 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:50 PM

Perhaps adding stiffeners to the inside is more practical. You’d have to remove/replace the insulation and lining though. If there’s a delamination maybe some angles bonded to the top skin and frame could work.

The issue is that you can't get the roof line off without taking the roof and vinyl off. The roof fabric is tucked up along the edges (or used to be).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#59 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:28 PM

What do you folks think would this work if placed on top sheet?  Only adds 3.6 lbs.  Had to laugh from this vendor; 12' only $15.14 but shipping $747, Texas to Oregon....similar on Amazon for less.

Flat ‐   Aluminum ‐   AF.125 X 2.00 X 12'
Flat » Aluminum
  • Product Name: AF.125 X 2.00 X 12'
  • SKU: 103867
  • Weight: 3.60
  • Length: 144
  • Material: 6061
  • Size: 2.00
  • Thickness: .125

Description:
6061-T6 ALUMINUM FLAT

Edited by Wallowa, 31 May 2023 - 02:37 PM.

#60 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:21 PM

Wallowa,

I agree it is not feasable to replace the roof. My statement is aimed more at FWC. They prefer to keep the smooth look and single piece despite this known issue and the fact that the seam in the two piece roofs never leaked. I don't have an answer as to what to do as it was never resolved in our camper. 

You can get pieces of aluminum like that at places like Lowes and Home Depot, but only in shorter lengths. I think 3' and maybe 6' might be it. Not sure if that would be long enough, but if it is then the cost of shipping is the gas you use to drive there.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users