66 replies to this topic

#61 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:05 PM

Pat we're going in through Mexicali down to Gonzaga and out to Hwy 1. We'll be south of the carnage. In my Baja life that's at least the 2nd time that bridge has been destroyed.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#62 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

Having driven on both of these bridges multiple times over the past two months, these pics blow my mind.

I truly worry about what may have occurred in some of the most remote places off the beaten path. There are likely people still stranded without ability to communicate to the outside.

Lastly, one must never under estimate Mexican ingenuity. They are truly the masters of "adapt and overcome".

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#63 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

Related story:

Story:

Authorities worked yesterday to restore areas south of Ensenada flooded by last week’s heavy rains, including a damaged bridge on the Transpeninsular Highway about 120 miles south of Ensenada that has stranded thousands of residents.
The Santo Domingo bridge was expected to be at least partially restored by today, said Jaime Nieto, civil protection director for Ensenada. That will re-establish an important link on the Transpeninsular Highway, the major artery connecting communities along the Baja California peninsula.
Because of the extensive damage, Baja California Gov. José Guadalupe Osuna Millán declared an emergency in the region, giving state authorities access to federal funds to repair damaged roads and bridges. Funds will be used to repair the Santo Domingo bridge and another in the community of Vicente Guerrero.
Nieto said up to 70,000 people in the region were stranded as a result of the rains, with 2,000 sent to shelters. As of yesterday, about 500 remained in shelters, he said.
One community still struggling is Ejido Erendira, a coastal fishing village of 2,500 about 50 miles south of Ensenada and 12 miles by paved road from the Transpeninsular Highway. The area is popular with surfers.
Adam Beecham, who operates Coyote Cal’s, a 52-bed hostel in the village, said stores have run out of drinking water, but residents are sharing their supply.
Five houses were washed away along the Canyon San Ysidro riverbed, Beecham said in a phone interview.
Nieto, the civil protection director, said one lane of the road to the village was open yesterday, but it will be closed tomorrow for repairs.
Baja California civil protection workers yesterday rescued nine U.S. citizens stranded by snow in the Sierra de Juarez, in an area south of La Rumorosa.
The group had been riding off-road motorcycles when they became stranded and ran out of gasoline. Alfredo Escobedo, the state’s director of civil protection, said that the group used a satellite telephone Sunday night to call the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.
Civil protection workers reached the group yesterday, and removed them by helicopter. Escobedo said they were from California and Colorado.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#64 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

I've been putting this off for a couple of weeks hoping the news would get better but alas I've decide not to go to San Ignacio in April. One of our closest friends who planned to be with us in Baja has been diagnosed with something that will preclude her from going. She will need to close to home now. Besides Pam and I this news has affected at least three others. It Just wouldn't be the same. I'm holding good thoughts for this to clear up so we all can be in San Ignacio in 2011. I truly apologize to anyone whose plans this affects but I know you understand.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#65 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:54 AM

I've been putting this off for a couple of weeks hoping the news would get better but alas I've decide not to go to San Ignacio in April. One of our closest friends who planned to be with us in Baja has been diagnosed with something that will preclude her from going. She will need to close to home now. Besides Pam and I this news has affected at least three others. It Just wouldn't be the same. I'm holding good thoughts for this to clear up so we all can be in San Ignacio in 2011. I truly apologize to anyone whose plans this affects but I know you understand.

Jay, you are the best of friends. We'll get through this period and ALL of us will make it in 2011. What a meaningful trip that will be!

Gene and Anne

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#66 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Gene, I don't know you but saw your post on SPA. Sending positive vibrations your way.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#67 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

Gene, I don't know you but saw your post on SPA. Sending positive vibrations your way.

Thank you SunMan. All the vibrations we can get, along with all the other work we must do, can only help. We'll meet one day.

Gene

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users