• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dustinbriq

dustinbriq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 07:23 PM

After way too long of using the hitch ball or bumper as a step to get into/out of my camper, I finally got around to installing the TorkLift GlowStep System with their All Terrain Landing Gear to my 2018 FWC Hawk. The installation was very straight forward and only took about 30 minutes to complete. Once the mounting bracket was installed, the steps went into place with their provided quick release pins. Very easy process, and very quick to remove the steps for travel. The steps are very sturdy and will make entry/exit from the camper much easier for me and my dogs. I can't believe I waited this long to do this upgrade. If you are in the market for a high quality scissor step system for your camper, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the TorkLift GlowStep System.

mounting bracket
glowsteps extended
glowsteps extended side
glowsteps removed
steps collapsed

#2 vtarider65

vtarider65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationVentura county

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:15 AM

Dustin, 

looks great !!! 

Thanks for the write up

#3 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 29 May 2023 - 10:30 AM

Nice! Consider a handrail. Someday, I’ll tell the tale of the six dollar X-ray and cast in Loreto, Baja.

https://www.etrailer...son/AC-300.html

John
Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#4 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:56 PM

Did you use self tappers?
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#5 dustinbriq

dustinbriq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:56 PM

Did you use self tappers?

Yes.  If for some reason the self tapping screws come loose or fail to hold (I highly doubt they will as the steps/bracket are very sturdy), I'll convert to bolts.  The only reason I didn't use bolts from the get go is the ones provided were a little too short.

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 03 June 2023 - 02:48 PM

We have the same on our flatbed and used botls but love the ease of it compared to ladders, etc.  The only thing is you still have to be careful bending over to get ou the door and down the first few steps :-)

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 01:38 PM

After way too long of using the hitch ball or bumper as a step to get into/out of my camper, I finally got around to installing the TorkLift GlowStep System with their All Terrain Landing Gear to my 2018 FWC Hawk. The installation was very straight forward and only took about 30 minutes to complete. Once the mounting bracket was installed, the steps went into place with their provided quick release pins. Very easy process, and very quick to remove the steps for travel. The steps are very sturdy and will make entry/exit from the camper much easier for me and my dogs. I can't believe I waited this long to do this upgrade. If you are in the market for a high quality scissor step system for your camper, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the TorkLift GlowStep System.

#8 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 01:47 PM

Glowstep is a must have in my option. I had it mounted as you have, but you will regret it in short time. The mounting bracket screws is going into 1/2” plywood, sideway and the screws will come loose in time.

Originally, I went with bigger and bigger screws when they came loose, tried gluing the screws too, but eventually I had the bracket mounted into my truck bed end, into metal. Had no problem since.

There are threads on the forum about this, just got to find them.

#9 dustinbriq

dustinbriq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 06:18 PM

Glowstep is a must have in my option. I had it mounted as you have, but you will regret it in short time. The mounting bracket screws is going into 1/2” plywood, sideway and the screws will come loose in time.

Originally, I went with bigger and bigger screws when they came loose, tried gluing the screws too, but eventually I had the bracket mounted into my truck bed end, into metal. Had no problem since.

There are threads on the forum about this, just got to find them.

This may be the case, however, I've been on 4 trips and over 200 miles offroad and the mounting bracket is still as solid as the day I mounted it.  If it does loosen up, I'll replace the screws with 2.5" bolts and a 3/8" aluminum backer.

bracket mount

#10 GlennG

GlennG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSurrey British Columbia

Posted 06 July 2023 - 05:04 AM

Do travel with them folded up but still attached or do you have to remove them from the bracket.?

If you leave them on how far do they hang down?

Im getting tired of the plastic ladder

cheers

Glenn

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scissor step, steps, accordion, torklift, glowstep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users