• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:34 PM

Just returning from a great 3 day trip, and boy did we go through our water. I calculated that around 13 gallons of it ran through the sink. It was a good eye opener for my wife who runs it hard when she is doing the dishes. My thought moving forward is to put an inch or two of HOT water in the sink for scrubbing. Then drain and fill with another couple inches for the rinse. Just wondering how others are doing it in an effort to conserve the liquid gold.

Also, please share any other general water saving tips you have!

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 May 2023 - 03:59 PM

Just returning from a great 3 day trip, and boy did we go through our water. I calculated that around 13 gallons of it ran through the sink. It was a good eye opener for my wife who runs it hard when she is doing the dishes. My thought moving forward is to put an inch or two of HOT water in the sink for scrubbing. Then drain and fill with another couple inches for the rinse. Just wondering how others are doing it in an effort to conserve the liquid gold.

We use a stainless steel bowl in the sink. Water is warmed on the stove to dish washing temperature. A drop of biodegradable soap goes in and minimal hot water is poured into the bowl. The dishes are washed. Wash water is discarded. The bowl is refilled with with hot water for rinsing. We use maybe a liter and a half for a big clean up, most times less. Should note, dishes are wiped clean prior to wash. The rinse water is saved in the bowl for pouring over hands for washing and cleaning sink after tooth brushing or other chores.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 May 2023 - 04:22 PM

Beagle prewash, then spritz with spray bottle containing bleach & water, wipe or sun dry.

Silverware goes in a Nalgene bottle with soapy water until next use, wiped or shaken dry.  Water changed when needed.

When necessary to wash, I use a small pot with about an inch of water; same procedure as Ski3pin.

Da beagle gets the plates clean, bleach to sanitize (unless you don't mind dog slobber).

We use a little more than a gallon of potable water per day for me and da beagle (hygiene extra, I will use non-potable water for cleanup when available).

I don't have a water tank in the Grandby; I use 1 and 5 gallon containers and carry up to 20 gallons at a time.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 05:31 PM

Thanks guys, that is right along the lines I'm thinking. We already wipe them clean first, now I just need to convince the admiral that "camping clean" is good enough. As our Hawk is relatively new to us, she just loves the hot, running water that magically appears! As we continue to enjoy longer stays on federal land, we are learning to adjust our habits and consumption of water and power.

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:25 PM

We don't have a sink or water in our rig. We have a 20 litre Scepter Can with a ss spigot hanging on the back of our ATC and very seldom use all of it on a 5 day trip. Our main meals are pre-cooked and frozen to minimize cleanup ( stew, chili , spaghetti, breakfast burritos, etc.)  Like everyone else we wipe clean 1st, then just a drop of dish soap on a scrub brush and a quick rinse. Coffee cups and the Melitta are usually just rinsed. 

On a river trip on the Salmon the outfitter just had a dish pan with sanitizer for washing and another pan for rinsing. I like the Beagle method the best!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:59 PM

For most trips I won't fire up the water heater, just heat a bit of water in pan. I have a pre treatment that works well but may not be for everyone. The dog. Not much left to clean when he pre treats :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:03 PM

For most trips I won't fire up the water heater, just heat a bit of water in pan. I have a pre treatment that works well but may not be for everyone. The dog. Not much left to clean when he pre treats :)

Haha! You guys are making me miss my dog. I use to do the same thing!

#8 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:28 PM

We carry dehydrated water in the form of paper towels. It takes a lot of water to make paper. We live in a former mill town and the water that the Scott plant used was tremendous. On our last trip, we lasted 7 days with 20 gal water, even with sponge baths and dishes, and might have lasted two more nights. Most of the water ended up getting drank. In a pinch I can wash the dishes with 2 cups of water and bathe with slightly less. The most vigorous washing is with the paper towel, but we also avoid greasy food most of the time, and I eat out of the pot.

But that kind of water rationing would drive many people crazy. My wife was looking the other way, ha ha! Dishes were spotless though -- I'm not gonna get away with them looking unclean!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:45 PM

<snip>

Don’t use your water heater, water in a pan on the stove is our solution.

I am haunted by waters

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:15 PM

Don't use your water heater. Heat just what you need on your cooktop.

Or:

Buy a good large (60+ oz) vacuum bottle like a Yeti or a Nissan (Nissan seems to have been bought by Thermos).  My 60 oz Nissan will keep water hot for days.

Heat enough water to boiling to fill the vacuum bottle then use what you need to warm up your cold water as needed. This has been more frugal for us than heating yet another pot anytime warm/hot water is required.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users