• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:47 AM

Anyone's travel plans getting altered due to smoke from Canada wildfires? We plan to head up to the Tetons and concerned that we may have to postpone the trip. We leave in two weeks and will head east to Utah then up north from there. Any insight to conditions, current or predicted is appreciated. Looks like the smoke is mainly north east of our destinations. 

Also hoping that any members that reside in Canada or nearby are ok.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:19 PM

Fire and Smoke Map

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:30 PM

Thanks ski, I have been monitoring that same map. Today looks even worse. I'm looking for anyone in the destination area that may have some first hand knowledge of the air quality. We have never been to Yellowstone NP and likely will only go one time. We just want to make sure we can see her in all her glory. If the visibility and air quality is compromised, we will reschedule our visit.

Judging by the map images, the majority of the smoke remains outside the park boundaries, but slowing moving closer to that area.

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 31 May 2023 - 02:32 PM.

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:50 PM

Capt.

Call a business or USFS in the area to be visited and ask them about air quality...here in NE Oregon air has cleared up but changes day to day and fire season just ramping up...

#5 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:53 PM

Capt.

Call a business or USFS in the area to be visited and ask them about air quality...here in NE Oregon air has cleared up but changes day to day and fire season just ramping up...

Great idea. I will make sure to call before we pull away, to get the most up to date conditions.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:13 PM

Fire and smoke map.

edit:  Monte beat me to it.  

I am haunted by waters

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:25 PM

It's hard for me to imagine how Canada can be burning when we still have so much snow left to melt. Unfortunately local media coverage of anything happening in Canada is poor to non existent. Good luck with your trip.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:30 PM

Great idea. I will make sure to call before we pull away, to get the most up to date conditions.

Another possibility is look for webcams in the area. Most of the fire lookouts in the west now have webcams.

Here's Mount Washburn in the Park - Mount Washburn

and

Wyoming Web Cam Index

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:31 PM

Thanks again Ski!

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts