• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 June 2023 - 12:19 PM

I used the adjustable Rancho shocks, they worked but had to reach at the shocks to turn the knob.

Rember when you would push on the fender a few times hard downward and release to see if it would continue to bounce. Or watched a vehicle go over a parking lot speed bump and the body of the car would continue to bounce. That is showing that a shock does support the body and control bounce.

It will show up as cupping on the outside edge for tire wear.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:53 PM

My buddy drove his CJ4B around with no shocks and you could hardly tell. I had the adjustable ranchos and I got rid of them. Rides much nicer with the Bilstein 5100s.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 01 June 2023 - 04:39 PM

This is the best video I’ve found explaining suspension, it’s long but informative…

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#14 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:08 PM

I chased after shock performance on the old Dodge using everything from KYB to Ranchos 9000 to Fox...my OCD got the better of me, especially with the adjustables. LOL I've settled on Bilsteins, both the 4600 (stock) and 5100 (taller for lifted apps). They just work. There is a discussion point regarding mono vs dual tube/chamber for our application. I know J Hanson has done some research/testing in this regard.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#15 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:32 PM

Sunman,

Thanks for posting the Filthy Motorsports video it is most informative.

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#16 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:09 PM

That was well worth spending an hour. I agreed with most of what he said and the rest is stuff I just don't know about. He'd probably tell me with my budget and needs just go with what you got. I'd like a 2" lift but do I really need one? Probably not. Heck, its got me where I want to go for twenty years the way it is why mess with it. Plus, as I get a bit long in the tooth I've also slowed down my driving a bit :)

#17 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:58 PM

I used the adjustable Rancho shocks, they worked but had to reach at the shocks to turn the knob.

Rember when you would push on the fender a few times hard downward and release to see if it would continue to bounce. Or watched a vehicle go over a parking lot speed bump and the body of the car would continue to bounce. That is showing that a shock does support the body and control bounce.

It will show up as cupping on the outside edge for tire wear.

I believe - in a different thread years back - a knowledgeable WTW member stated the same. Could we please have an explanation of this?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#18 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 June 2023 - 12:37 PM

Great topic and one that I am woefully uneducated on.

Just as a point of reference shortly after I bought my F-350 I felt the ride wasn’t properly damped. On the advice of my local shop I replaced the OEM shocks with Bilstein 5100’s and have been satisfied for over 75K miles. They come with a lifetime warranty btw.

I also have a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon that I have outfitted to overland with and of course this involves adding weight to the bed. These trucks are notoriously softly sprung and are borderline unsafe at highway speeds when you drive over corrugations at 75 mph.

In looking at how best to upgrade the suspension I have decided to get the AEV dual sport suspension package which includes a bunch of components ALL designed to work together which I appreciate. In their description they state that the kit includes Bilstein 5100 shocks that have been re-valved to work together with the upgraded shocks. This is exactly what I’m looking for.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#19 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 01:11 PM

I've run Bilstein 4600 series on my 2006 Tundra and my F250, both trucks carried the Hawk camper full time. I was completely happy with their performance on both vehicles. Bilstein also makes a 5100 series shock that is designed for lifted trucks or higher cg vehicles or running oversized tires etc. Below is a article on the difference between the shocks mentioned.  I opted for the 4600 as I mostly drive graded forest service roads and paved roads,(no hardcore off road).

https://www.shocksur...jor-differences

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 June 2023 - 02:58 PM

Bilstein 5100's can be used on a stock unlifted vehicle. I made sure before I purchased and installed them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users