#1 la_morris

la_morris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:27 PM

I'm in need of tire advice. I bought a set of Cooper Adventurer AT tires from Pep Boys not quite two years ago.  Long story, but they were not the tire or vender that I wanted. Very few miles on them but have had several flats and slow leaks. Valve has been replaced on one tire even though there was no discernable problem with it. Just found another flat today. I don't have any confidence in these tires and wondering if I should just consider them rubbish and start over. As an older single woman, having reliable tires is extremely important to me. What tire suggestions do people have if I do get a new set? I have a 2003 SR5 Tundra with a Fleet shell (with furnace and cooktop). Thank you,

Leslie

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 06 June 2023 - 12:27 AM

What kind of driving? Mostly road? Lots of off road? What kind of terrain? More info would help.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 RickD

RickD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMt. Shasta, CA

Posted 06 June 2023 - 12:27 AM

I have a 2004 Tundra 4wd with an ATC Ocelet. It's a built out shell so probably somewhere in your trucks weight range. I originally had BFGoodrich KO2 tires. I felt that they didn't get the mileage they should have so when I had to replace them, I went with Falken Wildpeak at3w 265/75r16LT  which is a +1 size for this truck. Gives me a bit more ground clearance. I know there's a lot of tire pressure discussion, but I run 40# rear & 36# front and seem to get good handling on highway & off-road. I only air down in deep sand. So far the wear is what I would expect & road noise is fairly minimal for a LT tire.

Rick

#4 la_morris

la_morris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 06 June 2023 - 12:38 AM

Jon,

I live in Central Texas, so highway driving to get to cooler places then nothing crazier than dirt forest service roads.

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 06 June 2023 - 01:11 AM

Here is a couple of tire posting you can read through.

https://www.wanderth...sonal-critique/

https://www.wanderth...ecommendations/

https://www.wanderth...w-tires-needed/

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:04 AM

For mostly highway and firm dirt or gravel, I would recommend considering Michelin LTX A/T2. I haven’t had a tire failure with Michelin LTX tires (other than picking up the occasional nail or screw) in probably 5 sets on my trucks and Yukon over the last 20 years. It’s an excellent smooth and quiet road tire with decent off road traction for gravel and dirt. Not a mud or crawling tire, but it doesn’t sound like you need that. Good tire life, too. I’ve been buying from Discount Tire.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#7 la_morris

la_morris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 06 June 2023 - 03:28 AM

Appreciate everyone's advice!

#8 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 June 2023 - 10:49 AM

For mostly highway and firm dirt or gravel, I would recommend considering Michelin LTX A/T2. I haven’t had a tire failure with Michelin LTX tires (other than picking up the occasional nail or screw) in probably 5 sets on my trucks and Yukon over the last 20 years. It’s an excellent smooth and quiet road tire with decent off road traction for gravel and dirt. Not a mud or crawling tire, but it doesn’t sound like you need that. Good tire life, too. I’ve been buying from Discount Tire.

My experiences with Michelin LTX tires have been a carbon copy of Jon R's:  Zero failures, excellent traction on reasonable gravel, dirt, and even sand surfaces (with adequate pressure lowering for sand), and exceptional tread life. I got 70,000 miles on the last set on my 2002 F350 single rear wheel diesel and many thousands of those miles were highway miles heavily laden between NC and the Rockies.  The set of LTXs now on my daily driver 2015 F150 will soon be 5 years old and have 69,000 miles with at least 6/32" of tread remaining and zero sidewall cracking.  I regularly run them at 75 mph in the peak of summer's heat with complete confidence in their soundness. I plan to run them all summer this year and replace them in the late Fall before wintertime rains and snows in the NC mountains.

Foy

#9 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 06 June 2023 - 12:21 PM

As discussed in many threads, everyone seems to have different experiences base on their rig/driving habits?

I had the Michelin LTX on my former F150 without a camper and while they were fine, I only got 37k out of them, and I drive like a grandpa..  Same with Cooper Discoverer AT3.. 

Currently on BFG KO2 and at about 25k with plenty of tread life left.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#10 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:32 PM

No tire lasts long on texas hiways..so run a good e10 an live with it.. nitto here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users